Thread: Shield mechanics

Senator

Default Shield mechanics

The shield was an important part of defense in our timeframe. I'm still considering wether I would prefer a shield system with or without shield armour. Shield armour is actually nonsense because if a shield could not deflect an attack, usually the body would be hit, if unarmoured with unpleasant results. But the TW system has shield armour, so taking it away may cause weird results in balance. I read the vanilla or Gunny's table so: shield defense is the ability to actively use the shiled to deflect blows, therefore it's higher the smaller and better to handle a shield is. Shield armor is the passive ability to deflect blows, aka the bigger and stronger the shield, the better. The "unknown" at the right side of the unit_shield_table is the missile deflection, the bigger the better. Is this correct?

A few questions:
    1. Are the stats in defense giving the percentage with which the shield is calculated against the hits? So 50 means in 50% of hits the hit is totally deflected?
    2. Does ap also count against shield armour? Or are projectiles only influenced by the deflection stats, so ap is meaningless against shields?
    3. Is shield armour always added to defense against hits from the front and left? Does that not create a strange double count, making shields too strong? Or is it necessary if the weird TW:A ap mechanic is used (which seems to deliver the ap damage without taking into account the kind of armour)?

Default Re: Shield mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by geala View Post
    A few questions:
    1. Are the stats in defense giving the percentage with which the shield is calculated against the hits? So 50 means in 50% of hits the hit is totally deflected?
    2. Does ap also count against shield armour? Or are projectiles only influenced by the deflection stats, so ap is meaningless against shields?
    3. Is shield armour always added to defense against hits from the front and left? Does that not create a strange double count, making shields too strong? Or is it necessary if the weird TW:A ap mechanic is used (which seems to deliver the ap damage without taking into account the kind of armour)?
    1. I dont think because melee defense can exceed 100, and shield defense add to total defense afaik.
    2. armour must also be counted in total armour (2nd afaik); I believe a shield can block an AP projectile same as anything, but if it doesnt then AP damage is applied
    3. always except when knockbacked I think; makes attack from back/right stronger; you can choose how much less a unit will dodge/tank by setting corresponding shield value to be ignored when attacked on shieldless zone (0 shield armour/defense = unit equally strong at 360°; 100% armour/defense in shield = unit is like paper on back/right)