Thread: Rename faction

ACMilan88's Avatar Semisalis

Default Rename faction

Hello!

I'm wondering how to rename a faction? Can this be done through DBEditor alone? Tried but without success. Help is appreciated.

Thank you

ACMilan

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Rename faction

Hi ACMilan!

While I have not renamed a faction, used mods which made new factions playable by renaming existing factions (such as emergent factions). This might involve editing the startpos.esf as well as making a modded pack file. It is possible to edit startpos.esf files with ESF Editor (available from the Tools, Tutorials and Resources section). As far as I know, DB Editor and Pack File Manager cannot edit a startpos.esf file.

Unfortunately, I do not know whether you need to edit anything in the startpos to change the name of a faction - but it seems likely that you will need to edit the startpos, for example to allocate regions to your chosen factionl. If you visit husserlTW's My Modding Work page, here, you will find links to a general guide to modding the startpos, which could help you to get started. Looking at this guide on how to add a faction, it appears that you change the name of a faction using a modded pack file containing a localisation table.

You could try asking for advice from the creator of a mod which adds factions (such as Imperial Destroyer, available from the Hosted Mods section). As I said, modders add factions by renaming factions which already exist in the game. For example, husserlTW's mod Sturm und Drang allows you to play Finland. Of course, Finland does not normally exist as a faction in Empire Total War. So husserlTW renamed another faction so that it became Finland. (If you would like to try it, Sturm und Drang is available from the 'StartPos Mods' part of the Hosted Mods section).

Which renamed faction would you like to be able to play? There might already be a mod (such as Sturm und Drang, Empire Total Factions or Imperial Destroyer) which allows you to play that faction. Of course, if there is already a mod, that doesn't stop you from making your own mod, if you want to do so.
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 06, 2015 at 05:37 AM.

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: Rename faction

(duplicate post deleted)
    Last edited by Alwyn; August 06, 2015 at 05:21 AM.