Thread: Looking for a family tree of the Ancient Greek Gods and Heroes

isa0005's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Looking for a family tree of the Ancient Greek Gods and Heroes

Hi all, am looking for a family tree of the Ancient Greek Gods and Heroes, specifically with regard to the Trojan War and related individuals. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Looking for a family tree of the Ancient Greek Gods and Heroes

Afaik the Theoi.com site is very good, and contains a large genealogy:

http://www.theoi.com/
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Praeses

Default Re: Looking for a family tree of the Ancient Greek Gods and Heroes

Bear in mind the divine genealogies of Homer and Hesiod are different, and at times contradictory. I agree with the view that Hesiod's account is later, but this is hotly debated. I think the Theoi site has Hesiod's (not Homer's) version? IIRC Hesiod starts with Chaos which devolves into principles like Eros etc (and gets extremely complicated) whereas Homer has a simpler plan with Gaia at the beginning having sex with her son Ouranos (which Hesiod also has but further down the tree).

Robin Lane Fox discusses the issue of revisions to the creation stories and divine genealogies in Travelling Heroes, probably his weakest work but still worth a read and he touches on the possibilities of Hellenic travellers (specifically Euboeans) picking up myths around the Mediterranean basin like you pick up lint on your socks.

I think Graves has a scene in I Claudius where Tiberius has a massive chart drawn up and asks convoluted questions of priests and poets about "who was Echindne's great aunt?" and other trick questions in Hellenic mythology: we need two of those, the Homeric and Hesiodic.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat