Thread: Places to visit around Vancouver

Default Places to visit around Vancouver

So, I'll be staying in Vancouver for a few months, and am wondering about which places I could visit over there. I found huge lists online but unfortunately I fear I won't be able to visit everything, so I'd like to hear your top picks. Any suggestions ?

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Default Re: Places to visit around Vancouver

Vancouver is an amazing city, you'll love it. My top 5 list:

Grouse Mountain - one of the mountains that overlooks the city, great views plus its an easy climb (most of it is just a cable-car ride).

Whistler - the ski resort of Vancouver, a few miles north of the city. The drive there alone is worth the trip, amazing views.

Victoria, Vancouver island - the second largest city in British Colombia, and starkly different from the modern high rise forest of Vancouver itself: it has some great British colonial architecture, and also a great native American museum if you're interested in history. You can get a ferry across to the island.

Wildlife: there is great wildlife in British Colombia. You can go whalewatching, or spot some bears in the mountains and forests around the city (but be careful!).

Seattle: a few hours drive from Vancouver, one of the more scenic American cities and always worth a visit.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."