Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Who came first? Man or woman?

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Who came first? Man or woman?

Since all human embryos are originally female and then develop into males, I would assume that "women" came first"...not sure if that is how it actually works though.

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

Without going through the whole thread.

Genetic transfer came first, male and female wasn't really a thing.

Genetic transfer specialization came second.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

The real question is what was the first organism to have distinct male and female genitals.

Probably some sort of slug creature.
    Last edited by Col. Tartleton; September 03, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    The real question is what was the first organism to have distinct male and female genitals.

Probably some sort of slug creature.
    I'm going to guess male since female was sort of already a thing. Somewhere early on you have a mutation where the delivery of genetic material was better than normal receiving. Then you get a second mutation where delivery is possible but receiving is not, which freed up more energy for delivery. These proto-penis guys now deliver the goods but aren't taking it, and in response you get another mutation that gets rid of delivery and focuses on taking.

THIS doesn't even take into account sex differentiation then, but being thats not set X Y across the spectrum I'm going to guess that sexs may have developed more than once and its the "default" best way to exchange genetic information.

WHY sex is a huge question in biology because on paper asexual reproduction makes more sense. Result is obvious that asexual isn't the best, and there are theories but regardless its apparent its not as a rule.

My guess is "why sexes" is under the same sort of evolutionary pressure.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Phier View Post

WHY sex is a huge question in biology because on paper asexual reproduction makes more sense. Result is obvious that asexual isn't the best, and there are theories but regardless its apparent its not as a rule.

One would have to qualify that to higher organisms only. The vast majority of species on this planet (aka, plants, algae, bacteria...) are fine without any sexes.

Overall it seems to optimize evolutionary pressures, I would guess survivability by specialization
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

norse's Avatar Tiro

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post
    One would have to qualify that to higher organisms only. The vast majority of species on this planet (aka, plants, algae, bacteria...) are fine without any sexes.

Overall it seems to optimize evolutionary pressures, I would guess survivability by specialization
    Actually going by David Attenborough's First Life, it seems that sex increase the mutation rate, and thus any sexually reproducing lifeforms are able to outevolve any asexual lifeforms.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ugh+first+life
    Last edited by norse; September 08, 2015 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post

Of course. But even in "sexless" animals such as bacteria there is gene transfer. Even plants have some dioecy, though obviously it is much less than in animals.

My shameful truth.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234