View Poll Results: Which of the following forms/types is scarier for you as a monster?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bestial (always check OP for details!)

3 17.65%
  • Insect/arachnoid/arthropode

5 29.41%
  • Human-Other hybrid

1 5.88%
  • Eroded human form

2 11.76%
  • Chimeric hybrid (check OP )

0 0%
  • Religious iconography/story inspired

3 17.65%
  • Inanimate object defying natural laws

1 5.88%
  • Stranger object defying natural laws

1 5.88%
  • Other/mirror mirror on the wall

1 5.88%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of the following forms/types is scarier for you as a monster?

Default Re: Which of the following forms/types is scarier for you as a monster?

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    That Zuni doll was nasty
    It scarred me for life.An insidious small feral thing with sharp teeth that can hide. If you search for it, all sorts of people mention it, say someone working film who was influenced by it enough to make it an occupation.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; September 15, 2015 at 01:29 AM.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I don't even know what exactly the series was called, it was some series of spooky stories for teens, but it was not goosebumps. I dont think it was at least..
    Either way it had a wherewolf episode and while the costumes where not that great even, it still scared the heck out of me.
    It involved a kid staying with family, he was told to keep his door locked at night and there where bars at the window. He looked out of the window at night and saw some hairy figures move out of somewhere, and suddenly there was this wherewolf right in front of the window! While it was clearly fake, that jumpscare really got to me.
    I think here it involved burning the wherewolf skins to get people normal again, and later it revealed some friend was a wherewolf too.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

^Maybe the series (not the movie) "Friday the 13nth"?

It was a mid-late 80s show.

Last edited by Kyriakos; September 15, 2015 at 03:00 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

I voted Insect,arachnoid/arthropode, it is realy creepy allthough if im honest, and im not sure why ( im not even a beliver), Religious iconography and such , ocasionaly i found it unsettling. Probably, because im from a Catholic country , with a Catholic culture.

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    This Zuni doll(Native American) from an old horror flick.

Stephen King wrote short story about an immense obese woman turning into a human slug, slimey & undulating,which was pretty terrifying to imagine.
    There is a Lovecraft story about a snake-turning cult in New Orleans
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

^Maybe the series (not the movie) "Friday the 13nth"?

It was a mid-late 80s show.

No, I am pretty sure it was from the 90's in its style. Kind of like a show that might have lifted along on the succes of goosebumps.

Which actually was quite terrifying on its own at times, especially with those masks. Scary as hell when they started floating around on their own.

I suppose it wasn't the infamous 'Tales from the crypt'?

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Stephen King wrote short story about an immense obese woman turning into a human slug, slimey & undulating,which was pretty terrifying to imagine.
    Reminds me of the cannibal Faceless in Spirited Away. Always thought that was a scary thing to appear in a children's film

I suppose it wasn't the infamous 'Tales from the crypt'?
    Nope, that came on at times late at night, and this was in the morning and was aimed at young teens as far as I know.

It's not "are you affraid of the dark?" either, I just checked.
    Last edited by Inhuman One; September 16, 2015 at 02:02 AM.

Btw, found this Zuni doll WH40K version

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

I don't know how demons aren't a poll option. What could be scarier than a demon?

^What do you think option 6 is about? OP specifically states it includes demons.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    Artifex

^What do you think option 6 is about? OP specifically states it includes demons.
    I figured as much, and that's what I voted for, but it's still pretty broad.

My bad for not thoroughly reading the OP.

Having a scary looking monster is one thing, knowing how to use it in a movie is another though.

If done right a very fake looking costume might be scarier than a realistic looking costume simply due to better use. And if its barely seen and just comes at you suddenly, you wont even notice how bad it looks.
    Kind of why Jaws was a succes, it didnt show much and the shark did look a bit fake.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Having a scary looking monster is one thing, knowing how to use it in a movie is another though.

If done right a very fake looking costume might be scarier than a realistic looking costume simply due to better use. And if its barely seen and just comes at you suddenly, you wont even notice how bad it looks.
    Kind of why Jaws was a succes, it didnt show much and the shark did look a bit fake.
    The actual costume (there were no special effects there afaik) of the Alien in Alien 1, was not that good bellow the head, but in the movie it did its part due to the overall atmosphere

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

I think the most frightening thing is being helpless or quite possibly fear itself.

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

^I can agree, since if you feel terrified, and there isn't even some object/reason to attribute the feeling to, you may get a thousand times worse the next minute.
    De Maupassant wrote a lot of stories about that
    He describes it as an erosion of the soul, or sanity.

(yet this thread is about forms, and moreso of monsters )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12