Page 97 of 226 FirstFirst ... 477287888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107122147197 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,940 of 4518

Thread: The "I just saw" thread

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The "I just saw" thread

Quote Originally Posted by Your Lame Sister View Post
    Hmm seems very interesting. I'll check it out, when I get the time. I've recently started watching The Sporanos.
    The Sopranos - Best TV show ever.. Enjoy..

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

No. Paranoia Agent is the best tv show ever (it is japanimation, though).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Thanks. I hope it lives up to its reputation!
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    Two years ago I gave my mother my complete Sopranos DVD series. She binge-watched the whole thing twice in a month (2x86 episodes).
    Last edited by Maximinus Thrax; October 07, 2015 at 11:10 AM.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maximinus Thrax View Post
    Two years ago I gave my mother my complete Sopranos DVD series. She binge-watched the whole thing twice in a month (2x86 episodes).
    Haha.. I've not binge watched it yet, yet.

Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    the Century of the self: a five parts BBC documentary. Yes, it has five parts, I'm 45 years old and I lived through some of the times depicted in the documentary as French national living in France, yet I clearly believe there's a fifth episode. The first 4 parts describes the boxes people were seen to be living in and how the political and commercial world used it to "manipulate"/"emancipate" using core human behaviour. To resume it, we see ourselves as an individual random throw of the dice, yet as part of human nature/society, there are ways so that the majority of those throws will have a predetermined value that makes us easy to manipulate. I saw the first 4 parts as meta episodes to part 5: the box we are living in today: the age of social media and individually tailored google search results/ads. This Documentary tells you the way it was in a way that force you to reflect how it is today, and the sad truth about myself is that I just don't know, I'll need someone to tell me in 5/10 years time in a new documentary.

A brilliant piece of work, even though it may feels superficial/desultory at times, it does put "free will" where it belongs, on the antiquated shelves.

Here is the 4 parts put together, that's 4 hours long, a simple google video search will make a more comfortable 4 parts watch.
    contains a few distressing images
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

The 5th part.

No srsly, Adam Curtis is brilliant and so is his works to 99% IMO. But this snobbish prolly sponsored parody is alo quite brilliant. The guy who made this Video also took part in a contest to make a Boris Johnson election campaign vid...so...there is that.
    Last edited by Thorn777; October 07, 2015 at 07:13 PM.

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Thorn777 View Post
    The 5th part.

No srsly, Adam Curtis is brilliant and so is his works to 99% IMO. But this snobbish prolly sponsored parody is alo quite brilliant. The guy who made this Video also took part in a contest to make a Boris Johnson election campaign vid...so...there is that.
    I liked that short clip, would making phoney documentary on how people are manipulated be the best way to hide how they truly are manipulated?
    They just have to make us tilt at windmills , .....to be investigated .... by another documentary.

Here's two non-traditional Westerns. They're great as a double feature to compare and contrast.

First up is the marvelous 2014 Austrian Western, The Dark Valley. A stranger arrives to a mountain village, one so cloistered and remote that there's nearly no contact with outside world. This brooding oppressive film is shot in Winter, and save for the wonderful firelight illuminated scenes is practically a black and white film. Sure, we know immediately the plot outline, but Sam Riley transforms this austere film into art.

(Had this been filmed in Summer, it would have broken the spell, for the Austrian countryside is supernaturally lovely.)

The Proposition (2005) is a Australian gem with Ray Winstone, Emily Watson, Danny Huston, and Guy Pearce all turning in fantastic performances. Danny Huston is absolutely evil incarnate. It has wonderful cinematography which loving displays the deserts of Australia. The entire film is compelling.

Of course both films are cut from the same cloth, but that's only apparent from viewing them.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 08, 2015 at 06:46 AM.

Asterix and Obelix - Mansions of the Gods

The early comic books are actually better, but competent animation trying to recreate the scenes, though I felt without the ambiance.

Painless to watch, possibly my adult mind now thinks that what's lacking is a more balanced viewpoint than just slapstick and running jokes that were rather funny in the early books, rather dated like the rest of the humour later on.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Asterix and Obelix have some great stories, but sadly they ruin it by renaming characters and changing dialogue in every reprint.

My favorite is still the one where they join the roman legion and there being an egyptian there who constantly thinks hes on vacation and not in the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhuman One View Post
    Asterix and Obelix have some great stories, but sadly they ruin it by renaming characters and changing dialogue in every reprint.

My favorite is still the one where they join the roman legion and there being an egyptian there who constantly thinks hes on vacation and not in the army.
    Yeah that's a great one - the middle/early middle ones were the best, when Goscinny was still around

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

I, Claudius: I'm only finished episode 8, but I can't help thinking of Game of Thrones without dragons, fantasy and strings of topless girls, but several time better with a more classical feel. It even has captain Jean Luc Picard in it, with hairs and a regular voice....
    Last edited by John Doe; October 09, 2015 at 05:39 PM.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Child 44

A good one. Hardy was decent in this.
    Makes you think about the Stalinist regime and what monsters it created.
    How can you hunt a wolf when the hunters are wolves too?
    It's not about the banality of evil. It's about good men trying to do right in the most dire of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    I, Claudius: I'm only finished episode 8, but I can't help thinking of Game of Thrones without dragons, fantasy and strings of topless girls, but several time better with a more classical feel. It even has captain Jean Luc Picard in it, with hairs and a regular voice....
    I, Claudius (1976) is a very dated but an excellent Ancient Rome drama, and easily seen online.
    Two ghost stories where female lovers haunt their male lovers.

Ugetsu Monogatari (1953) is considered essential cinema as one of the top 100 films. Its copyright has lapsed making it easily found online. I hope you watch it.

Ghost Story (1981) is a fine creepy tale deliciously played by Alice Krige(Chariots of Fire). Sadly, the script writer botched the story as it's literary horror at its finest. Hopefully someone will adapt the novel into a miniseries.
    Last edited by RubiconDecision; October 10, 2015 at 07:45 AM.

Knock Knock

A horror-comedy (more like a romantic-comedy gone wrong), for all Eli Roth fans out there to enjoy.
    Well acted, well written and well directed.
    Had some laughs while watching this. Don't know what does that say about me.
    Especially since the perpetrators are supposed to be the victims.

Cooties

This would've been so much better if directed by Edgar Wright.
    I could've laughed more.
    But the jokes were... salty, to say the least. At least it held one hobbit reference.

Maze Runner: Scorch Trials - From what I can tell from a summary, the movie is a helluvalot better than the book.

Change of pace from the poriginal, which seems to cater to the youngish, whereas the sequel would appeal more to an older audience, though it seems to be a collage of different movies, including I Am Legend, dystopian ones and environmental disasters.

Compelling, and a worthwhile watch. Some favourite antagonists guest star.

Pan - Pirates of the Caribbean meets Indiana Jones and Star Wars.

The acting is good, especially Jackman's Blackbeard, but the story makes little sense, with the revisioned Tiger Lily and Hook, who is Indy; actually, the movie steals liberally from both franchises that Ford starred in, except the fridge.

Painless non-ending swashbuckling excitement; worth a watch.

Black Mass

Johnny Depp is no James 'Whitey' Bulger.
    He should stick to Willy Wonka.
    Just seeing him acting tough and being scrawny annoys me. All the good stuff was shown in the trailer.
    What's missing is Bulger killing a teen hooker.
    Oh, scary...

Give up, Depp. Go back to Tim Burton where you belong!

Sounds like somebody's got a little crush on Johnny Depp