Thread: Anybody think a King Arthur campaign would be perfect?

Default Anybody think a King Arthur campaign would be perfect?

This game is set during the time of the King Arthur legend.

King Arthur is said to have been a Romano-British general who fought against the Barbarian invaders (like Saxons and Angles).

The legend is so varied it gives CA so much diversity to play around with and a topic which fits perfectly in the Total War world.

We even have an abundance of factions who could be involved. The Ebdanians, Picts, Caledonians, Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Geats. One thing they would have to add is a faction in modern day England.

From a historic point of view, the Celts from Ireland and Scotland were invading England and especially the Irish tribes who settled there, then soon after the tribes from continental Europe invaded and settled, one possible reason for the Saxons presence was the tribes in England hiring them as mercenaries to fight against the other invading Celtic tribes. You also had the Irish tribes invading Scotland, which is how it got its name.

So King Arthur would be defending his country from all sides, and with the feel of this game it would be more realistic than wizards and castles that are 500 years too soon. It would be the real King Arthur, defending those flea infested settlements we get with the Northern European factions.

How I would do it:

The campaign would start off defending from Ebdanians and Caledonians, who are possibly allied. Chapter 2 would see those Celtic factions turn on each other, or just treaties breaking down but with a possibility they stay allied. Chapter 2 would also see the Barbarians arrive on the east side of Britain set as nomadic rather than settled factions. This is a crucial time to make friends with other Celts as allies.

The Barbarians would culturally be similar, but also can fight each other as they did soon after settling in England.

No round tables or any of that nonsense, but the real King Arthur in a desperate bid to survive, which really fits with the theme of this game and the idea of surviving before thriving.

Default Re: Anybody think a King Arthur campaign would be perfect?

NO, no, no no no, and no there are 1000 more suitable scenarios that fit historical period and affected world today far more than the works of this half-mythological Celtic chieftain
    War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    NO, no, no no no, and no there are 1000 more suitable scenarios that fit historical period and affected world today far more than the works of this half-mythological Celtic chieftain
    I doubt that there are more than 1,000. I think you'd find it difficult coming up with 10.
    Belisarius: Done
    Charlemagne: In the process
    Pre-Charlemagne Franks: Germanic overkill
    Rise of Islam: Fair enough
    White Huns: Less popular but arguable because it's Eastern
    Slavs/Avars: I'd agree
    Bulgars: Basically a Slav campaign set a century later

I'm only really counting around 5 and it looks like 2 of those are done or close. Of the other, one is controversial (shouldn't be but is unfortunately) and the other 2 are less popular than a Romano-British campaign.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanest View Post
    I agree, there are a LOT of other scenarios:
    Romano-Sassanid wars (anyone of them)
    Aetius
    Julian the Apostate or the Tetrarchy
    III-rd century
    Justinian on a grand campaign
    Charles the Great time on a GRAND campaign
    The Rise of Islam/Heraclius
    Bulgarian Empire, Khazars, Vikings, Rus

Quote Originally Posted by AaronTheGreat View Post
    This game is set during the time of the King Arthur legend.

King Arthur is said to have been a Romano-British general who fought against the Barbarian invaders (like Saxons and Angles).

The legend is so varied it gives CA so much diversity to play around with and a topic which fits perfectly in the Total War world.

We even have an abundance of factions who could be involved. The Ebdanians, Picts, Caledonians, Saxons, Angles, Jutes and Geats. One thing they would have to add is a faction in modern day England.

From a historic point of view, the Celts from Ireland and Scotland were invading England and especially the Irish tribes who settled there, then soon after the tribes from continental Europe invaded and settled, one possible reason for the Saxons presence was the tribes in England hiring them as mercenaries to fight against the other invading Celtic tribes. You also had the Irish tribes invading Scotland, which is how it got its name.

So King Arthur would be defending his country from all sides, and with the feel of this game it would be more realistic than wizards and castles that are 500 years too soon. It would be the real King Arthur, defending those flea infested settlements we get with the Northern European factions.

How I would do it:

The campaign would start off defending from Ebdanians and Caledonians, who are possibly allied. Chapter 2 would see those Celtic factions turn on each other, or just treaties breaking down but with a possibility they stay allied. Chapter 2 would also see the Barbarians arrive on the east side of Britain set as nomadic rather than settled factions. This is a crucial time to make friends with other Celts as allies.

The Barbarians would culturally be similar, but also can fight each other as they did soon after settling in England.

No round tables or any of that nonsense, but the real King Arthur in a desperate bid to survive, which really fits with the theme of this game and the idea of surviving before thriving.
    To answer your question; other suitable settings aside, yes it would be exactly the right kind of scenario for this game.

The Iron Chancellor's Avatar Civis

As much as I love my country: no. I'm all for a scenario that includes the Danelaw, Mercia, Essex, Sussex, Wessex and Kent etc but only in a broader context.
    "Diversity in counsel, unity in command."
    - Cyrus the Great

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

I am not convinced that there will be any more DLC for Attila beyond Charlemagne, but if there will be - NO!

There are simply way more interesting stories/cultures concerning Late Antiquity in my opinion to warrant another DLC campaign focusing on Western Europe.

1) Heraclius/Rise of Islam (Sassanids, Romans, Christian Arabs and Muslims)
    2) Maurikos Balkans Campaign (Romans, Avari, Sclavenians, and Anteans)
    3) Slavic Cultural Pack DLC
    4) Caucasus Mountains Cultural Pack (Lazica, Armenia, Arran)
    5) Hephthalite Faction Free-LC (There's no way CA should make us pay for this one)
    6) Free Mercenary Update (To give people something other than Huns, Germans, or "Desert" units to hire as mercenaries)

Any/All of those are essential to making Attila a more "diverse" experience.

In time, should CA continue supporting this game beyond the release of Warhammer and they take the time to add more content in the East, I would like to maybe one day see:

1) Eastern Germanic factions DLC - Gepids, Heruli, and Quadi (The Heruli are really needed in this game, especially as they were the ones who dealt the final blow to the WRE)
    2) DLC Campaign centered around Emperor Majorian - (It's another campaign settled around Western Europe sure, but here's a chance to do Majorian + the Vandals conquering Africa + Domain of Soissons + King Arthur. This campaign makes far more sense than Belisarius or Charlemagne)

In a perfect world, everything on this list would ultimately become a part of the experience that is Total War Attila.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

I think non-historical Warhammer Total War is quite enough for CA to have fictions in their account.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    I doubt that there are more than 1,000. I think you'd find it difficult coming up with 10.
    Belisarius: Done
    Charlemagne: In the process
    Pre-Charlemagne Franks: Germanic overkill
    Rise of Islam: Fair enough
    White Huns: Less popular but arguable because it's Eastern
    Slavs/Avars: I'd agree
    Bulgars: Basically a Slav campaign set a century later

I'm only really counting around 5 and it looks like 2 of those are done or close. Of the other, one is controversial (shouldn't be but is unfortunately) and the other 2 are less popular than a Romano-British campaign.

You do realise this game is based in a time period over 500 years before the birth of the prophet Muhammed? The hell are you on about rise of Islam 'fair enough'? Suppose it wouldn't be surprising though considering CA's lax approach to historicity.
    Last edited by Bingbangbong; October 25, 2015 at 09:41 AM.

Dude with the Food's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Bingbangbong View Post
    You do realise this game is based in a time period over 500 years before the birth of the prophet Muhammed? The hell are you on about rise of Islam 'fair enough'? Suppose it wouldn't be surprising though considering CA's lax approach to historicity.

Can I ask at what point in time you think Muhammed (pbuh) was born. My sources think that it was before Charlemagne by quite a while and he seems to be happening.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I am me. You are not me. You are you. If I was you, I wouldn't be me.
    If you were me, I'd be sad.But I wouldn't then be me because you'd be me so you wouldn't be me because I wasn't me because you were me but you couldn't be because I'd be a different me. I'd rather be any kind of bird (apart from a goose) than be you because to be you I'd have to not be me which I couldn't do unless someone else was me but then they would be you aswell so there would still be no me. They would be you because I was you so to restore balance you would have to be me and them meaning all three of us would become one continously the same. That would be very bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    Can I ask at what point in time you think Muhammed (pbuh) was born. My sources think that it was before Charlemagne by quite a while and he seems to be happening.
    I thought it was around 1000AD, but having checked just now, it was actually 570 AD. Thats still way past the time period of Attila, just not quite 500 years later

You're right though, Charlemagne was born around 747 AD, so if they're actually doing a Charlemagne DLC for the game they're playing very fast and loose with their history.
    Last edited by Bingbangbong; October 25, 2015 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    I am not convinced that there will be any more DLC for Attila beyond Charlemagne, but if there will be - NO!

There are simply way more interesting stories/cultures concerning Late Antiquity in my opinion to warrant another DLC campaign focusing on Western Europe.

1) Heraclius/Rise of Islam (Sassanids, Romans, Christian Arabs and Muslims) Yes, yes and yes again!
    2) Maurikos Balkans Campaign (Romans, Avari, Sclavenians, and Anteans) Definitely interesting.
    3) Slavic Cultural Pack DLC Sure, why not.
    4) Caucasus Mountains Cultural Pack (Lazica, Armenia, Arran) Meh...not too sure about this one.
    5) Hephthalite Faction Free-LC (There's no way CA should make us pay for this one) Yep
    6) Free Mercenary Update (To give people something other than Huns, Germans, or "Desert" units to hire as mercenaries) Absolutely

Any/All of those are essential to making Attila a more "diverse" experience.

In time, should CA continue supporting this game beyond the release of Warhammer and they take the time to add more content in the East, I would like to maybe one day see:

1) Eastern Germanic factions DLC - Gepids, Heruli, and Quadi (The Heruli are really needed in this game, especially as they were the ones who dealt the final blow to the WRE)
    2) DLC Campaign centered around Emperor Majorian - (It's another campaign settled around Western Europe sure, but here's a chance to do Majorian + the Vandals conquering Africa + Domain of Soissons + King Arthur. This campaign makes far more sense than Belisarius or Charlemagne)

In a perfect world, everything on this list would ultimately become a part of the experience that is Total War Attila.

There is actually a very good mod on the workshop called Clovio or something. I'd highly recommend it.

Emperor Caesar's Avatar Ordinarius

Yes give me Arthur right now! Pretty please.

No no no no no no and more so no.

If you want a Britannic campaign I'd rather have this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQIaawHWJPA

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Paradox made a mythical King Arthur game. It plays quite a lot like TW and has quite a bit of depth with new religion old religion.

Unfortunately it goes completely over-the-top with magic, etc.

Now if it had made in the style of Camelot, the film, with a much darker ethos, magic is rare and only cast by the likes of Merlin, that would`ve been a winner.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

If you want to play the 'King Arthur' period (the Anglo-Saxon invasion, in other words), there's an excellent mod for Med II: Kingdoms called Invasio Barbarorum II: Conquestus Britanniae. It's not the most polished mod out there, but it works and has a high level of realism, so I'd recommend checking it out if you're interested in this period. It also has a very large selection of factions, you can play as one of the numerous British kingdoms of the era, or as one of the Germanic tribes.

I just realised something: we are all here hoping that we will receive other DLCs and may a good patch and we have forgotten something. If I remember well, back in the day before Empire, we could create better campaigns and factions than what DLC offers us, and the games would be patched without having to release paid content. Just look at this, the game is unfinished, rushed and now we are getting charged for filling a map with factions.
    Thus, I say that the only DLC that we should be getting is "Modding tool DLC", one that can do serious modding, like modifying the campaign map. Then we won't squabble for the scraps and if people want a King Arthur campaign, perfect, they will just MAKE one.