Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New DLC: Slavic Nations Pack

Default Re: New DLC: Slavic Nations Pack

Yeah 1 hour of gameplay for 1 dollar is a good deal, total war often gives me 5+ hours for ever dollar I spend

JackDionne's Avatar Senator

Will the units be like in Charmalange (spelt wrong I know)? I like that format so much better.
    3K needs to have an Avatar Campaign!!!

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Initial euphoria aside, this question is important - I see that the trailer has Slavic Balvans - (ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbruch_Idol). Does that mean that the Slavs will get unique settlements? Need I say that if the Slavs end up using Germanic settlements with the same Wodan statues all over the place then that would be a buzzkill of epic proportions.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Where do u guys find your facts on the ancient Slavic cultures? I didn't know they had such an interesting socieity

I'd rather see an eastward map expansion for AoC with Slavic tribes there (along with Middle East and, of course, Byzantium), there isn't really much sources on Slavic peoples throughout 400s CE, so most of it is based on speculation and Offsprey pictures. Still planning on buying it so I can blast Arkona, build a Slavic kingdom while reading on Slavic mythology between turns, fully embracing my autism.
    Also I really like how they gave them proper Slavic Dark Age haircuts (that skullet one), so at least they look distinct from generic Germanic factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    I'd rather see an eastward map expansion for AoC with Slavic tribes there (along with Middle East and, of course, Byzantium),...
    That would have been awesome. The map constraints are my biggest gripe with AoC, which is otherwise a really fine campaign.

But then again, having these slavic factions in the grand campaign makes some use of the "northern" area on the map and will make things a bit more interesting there. So from a gameplay and replayability point of view, the slavic DLC is a really good thing.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Slavic Nations Culture Pack appeared on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42...snr=1_5_9__405

Northern Musa can update the first post

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias Tannhäuser View Post
    Slavic Nations Culture Pack appeared on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/42...snr=1_5_9__405

Northern Musa can update the first post
    I surely will! Thanks for the notice!

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    Initial euphoria aside, this question is important - I see that the trailer has Slavic Balvans - (ex: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zbruch_Idol). Does that mean that the Slavs will get unique settlements? Need I say that if the Slavs end up using Germanic settlements with the same Wodan statues all over the place then that would be a buzzkill of epic proportions.
    Even when you Slavs get what you want, you still complain. You should consider yourselves lucky to have even got one.

Dedicated Hun-Killers? Farming without squalor? Quick and cheap resettling of razed regions?

I am in for the DLC, my Slavic Brothers!

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    You mean the pencil-shaped wooden idol when the guys are drunk fighting and squatting around the campfire (damn, how slav is that?)? I wouldn't count on it, I still see that germanic settlement I've fought in again and again:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

CA may change all the Wodan idols with Perun ones, but the Slav's building would be the standard barbarian ones - Something like Muslims in AoC, Roman Cities but with churches replaced by mosques.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

• Horse Cutters (Sclavenians)
    • Horse Butchers (Sclavenians)

Who the hell comes up with these ridiculous names
    And the poison arrows are taken directly from Warhammer team I bet

Sometimes gameplay and fun justify some stretching in terms of historical accuracy.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Quote Originally Posted by Char Aznable View Post
    Even when you Slavs get what you want, you still complain. You should consider yourselves lucky to have even got one.
    Well they are not getting what they want. Generic barbarians template is not the same as getting honest to God unique Slavic factions.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Well they are not getting what they want. Generic barbarians template is not the same as getting honest to God unique Slavic factions.
    Geez man, we haven't even seen what all of their units look like and you're calling them generic barbarians. I mean unless you consider the Norse and celts generic barbarian templates, and instead of that demand 3 extremely unique factions. In which case, I feel extremely sorry that CA has to deal with you guys

Do most units wear striped pants and leather shoes Slav enough?

Anyway, the roster:
    General
    Warlord's Guard
    Spearmen
    Slavic Levy Spearmen
    Slavic Spearmen
    Slavic Noble Spears
    Slavic Large Shields
    Chosen Shields
    Axe Infantry
    Slavic Axe Levy
    Slavic Axemen
    Slavic Axe Warriors
    Perun's Axes
    Slavic Ambushers
    Followers of Veles (Venedians)
    Veles Chosen (Venedians)
    Horse Cutters (Sclavenians)
    Horse Butchers (Sclavenians)
    Melee Infantry
    Slavic Warriors
    Slavic Champions
    Perun's Champions
    Bow Infantry
    Slavic Levy Archers
    Slavic Archers
    Slavic Hunters
    Poison Archers (Anteans)
    Poison Hunters (Anteans)
    Javelin Infantry
    Slavic Levy Skirmishers
    Slavic Skirmishers
    Slavic Noble Skirmishers
    Skirmish Cavalry
    Slavic Raiders
    Slavic Horse Raiders
    Svarog's Raiders
    Artillery
    Onager
    Bastion Onager
    Their spearmen, in name, are notably named after their shields rather than their spear. Geared to weather arrow volleys?
    Ambush units, to be expected. They are actually get negative effect on open field, and the anti-cav unit are meant to ambush at forests.
    Special poison arrows for Slavs only - a gamey attempt to make Slavs unique, I say.
    No shock and melee cavalry!
    This roster listing says no Large Onagers, but one of the preview pictures shows them - its from the adversary they're fighting with, I suppose? They weren't supposed to have them anyway.

Congratulation to those fans who wished inclusion of the Slavs in this game. I hope this will made TW Attila more diverse. Through two of those factions are out of the time-frame, still they deserve to be in the game at least more than Ebdanians and Caledonians. I hope to see more culture packs in the future. The game still needs to be supported further - the Caucasian, The Berber, the Eurasian Steppe and etc. culture packs must be in as well.
    Through your intercession I hope to see the light of Thy son and the light of everlasting ages !

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

DLC's been on Steam for two days now: No update on TWC front page - LoL.

Look, everybody just play the hell out of Attila for the month, so we can win that silly competition and not actually have to pay for this.

You all realize we have stiff competition if we want this for free, right? Warhammer? There's legions of those cultists the world over. To compete with them, everybody who owns Attila should be concentrating on playing it.

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Quote Originally Posted by Vardan the Great View Post
    . But, my dearest friends, some questions still remain open....
    The wish to have Slavs in the game was always related with some question: will CA be able to provide historical accuracy....
    No. You've spent all your free whining vouchers already. No more derailing threads with selfish rants. Take your culture-centric DLC and be happy with it.

Charerg's Avatar Citizen

It seems CA forgot to include the Bear Cavalry .

Other than that, should be interesting, especially if the DLC is free (thumbs up for winning the "Make war, not love" event).

@Vardan: I doubt historical accuracy will be much of a priority. From the rosters, it looks like the Slavs will be a bit similar to the Celts, infantry-centric factions with strong archers and skirmishers. Building wise, I don't see CA implementing custom buildings for the culture on the battle map, although their campaign map building chains will apparently be somewhat unique.

Btw, does anyone know if the "poisoned arrows" were much of a thing in reality? I know some historian mentions them (Procopius, maybe?), but in the same breath he also mentioned that the Slavs allegedly hid in water by breathing through reeds, which as far as I know is highly unpractical as a military stratagem (I think some knowledgeable TW poster commented on the Invasio Barbarorum forums that's it practically impossible, if memory serves). It's likely the historian in question based his report on exaggerated claims, rather than facts. I mean, are any such poisons even known from Eastern Europe that it would be useful to coat arrows with them? Or did they just dip the arrows in excrement to maximize infection or something?
    Last edited by Charerg; February 10, 2016 at 09:00 AM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast