Thread: charlemagne faction quite generic and bland[fixed by modding]

Default charlemagne faction quite generic and bland[fixed by modding]

i was enticed in the first part to purchase attila and the charlemagne expansion, by the screenshots showing gambesons being used by the asturias faction. upon entering the campaign as charlemagne however, i found that apparently only the iberian christian factions were advanced enough to have begun using gambesons. i must assume this is an oversight by ca, since just this item would have created much needed diversity among the frankish rosters.

these are my preliminary attempts to address this oversight. ignore the item overload, i was experimenting and putting loads of variations into the units:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

i must say there are tons of items which fit with the frankish and germanic christian factions that are not used. the helmets with cloth around them for example, the scalloped helmet, skullcap helmet, etc.

the only item missing now would be the kettle and pot hats.

thanks and best regards

Default Re: charlemagne faction quite generic and bland[fixed by modding]

ps. what's with the mail chausses? it looks way darker than every other item in the game.

anyway, here's my update to the units. mainly i up armored the armored and medium infantry with different types of coifs: leather, cloth, and mail. added gambesons with more trouser variety, including the plain ones with just flat shoes, not boots(ps. ca made a mistake with the weighing of the striped frankish boots, one or more vertices is weighted to the center).

added simple feather type crests to officer/general helmets. also gave these to the paladins as they represent high ranking retainers/knights. paladins also wear scola knight helmets as well. so it's a mix.

for the scola knights, i gave them way more helmet variety. they use scalloped nasals, late era heavy nasals, some of the round top nasals with cloth bands on them, also gave those several tint colors for variety. they look way better.

please enjoy below screenshots. from top to bottom: officer and standard bearer, paladins, scola knights, armored and mounted swords, armored spear, archers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

my next objective is probably to try and do some form of tabards or surcoat, maybe even some leather coin armor. i was flipping trough variant editor and definitely see some potential with some of the eastern german "cut" parts.