Thread: How to change unit name without creating a new unit using DBEditor?

Default How to change unit name without creating a new unit using DBEditor?

Hi guys,

I'm very new to modding, and I don't understand the language, however, I have been able to do some simple things that I have been wanting to do like making some units bigger and unlocking some units caps by using DBEditor 1.96.3.

There is one last thing I wish to do, which is to change the name and unit card for the 33rd Foot for the British and change this units name to the Notts & Derby Sherwood Foresters, is this a simple process or do I have to change this units name in multiple files? If so which ones? It seems like it should be as easy as typing the new name somewhere but I don't know where.

Ive tried to find a tutorial on this but only keep finding whole tutorials on creating new units, I don't want to do that I just want to rename an existing one.

I am using Darthmod and AUM Mod simultaneously if that helps.

Please help, thank you in advance.

Dan

♔hammeredalways♔'s Avatar Darthmod Moderator

Default Re: How to change unit name without creating a new unit using DBEditor?

I would take a look here
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ers&highlight=

you may also find this of use (tools you need in this thread) http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post13061445

Post 29 of that thread shows you how to change a unit name

Alternatively if you don't want to edit any game files - launch the game, recruit the 33rd Foot, open the unit card
    You will see two lines the top line should say 33rd Foot, the second will say xx Regiment of foot.
    If you click on the Second line you can edit it to whatever you wish
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

Thank you for your reply Hammeredalways, I was wondering if anyone would. I found a thread on changing unit names but it looked like a pretty complicated process I wonder if the link you have presented is the same one. Either way thank you for dropping it here Ill take a look and see if I can follow the instructions. I was aware that you could name each card whatever you wish but this is just temporary, the next game you play you have to type everything all over again which is why I simply wanted to change the 33rd Foot to the Sherwood Foresters so I could always have that unit as special.

Thanks for all your assistance very much appreciated.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danaussie View Post
    Thank you for your reply Hammeredalways, I was wondering if anyone would. I found a thread on changing unit names but it looked like a pretty complicated process I wonder if the link you have presented is the same one. Either way thank you for dropping it here Ill take a look and see if I can follow the instructions. I was aware that you could name each card whatever you wish but this is just temporary, the next game you play you have to type everything all over again which is why I simply wanted to change the 33rd Foot to the Sherwood Foresters so I could always have that unit as special.

Thanks for all your assistance very much appreciated.

Dan
    No probs., if you get stuck just shout

http://freespace.virgin.net/stephen....h_regiment.htm

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=45th_Foot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/45th_Regiment_of_Foot

Image shows what they look like in game
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45thFoot.jpg  
    Knight of the binge-drinking-Kebab-shop-vomiting-taxi rank-punch-up? 32nd degree

I'm actually a little teary, this was the regiment that my Grandfather served in during WWII, serving in Norway, Cyprus and finally in North Africa where sadly he was captured during the first siege of Tobruk. He spent the remainder of the war as a POW until his release in 1946.

I cant tell you how happy I am to see this regiment in the picture you have shown...thank you so much sar!

I will try to figure out how to add it to the game with the instructions you have given me, and also will try to figure out how to give you a rep point even though that will hardly show my gratitude for this.

Thanks once again Hammeredalways

Dan

No problems at all enjoy and check your last PM should help, if you need anything else just let me know

I'm sure you have a lot of information re., this unit just a little early info., in the attached. (PDF and Jpeg in case you have trouble with PDF)

Line Infantry you have, I will add the Grenadier (to your pack, and re-upload), I have not yet done the Light Company - will do in the next week or so
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45th Regiment of Foot.pdf   45th Regiment of Foot_Page_1.jpg   45th Regiment of Foot_Page_2.jpg   45th Regiment of Foot_Page_3.jpg  
    Last edited by ♔hammeredalways♔; May 26, 2016 at 08:03 AM.

In game shots, I have sent you the details
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45th Nottinghamshire Regiment (Sherwood Foresters).jpg   45th Nottinghamshire Regiment Grenadier Company (Sherwood Foresters).jpg   45th Nottinghamshire Regiment Light Company (Sherwood Foresters).jpg  

Your modelling skills are outstanding sar!

I was pleasantly surprised to find not only the Notts & Derby Sherwood Foresters but also 5 other Regular Infantry types and two new Grenadier types, my wife and I finally sorted out how to install the mod and I have been enjoying my new look British Army all day, and feverishly building units to see what the next unit looks like on the battlefield...nothing short of SPECTACULAR!!!

You have outdone yourself, these are all fabulous....thanks so much for going to all the trouble.

PS: I was thinking to myself today while playing that if this is how my British Army looks.....sheesh....how good your British Army must be. Amazing I bet.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danaussie View Post
    Your modelling skills are outstanding sar!

I was pleasantly surprised to find not only the Notts & Derby Sherwood Foresters but also 5 other Regular Infantry types and two new Grenadier types, my wife and I finally sorted out how to install the mod and I have been enjoying my new look British Army all day, and feverishly building units to see what the next unit looks like on the battlefield...nothing short of SPECTACULAR!!!

You have outdone yourself, these are all fabulous....thanks so much for going to all the trouble.

PS: I was thinking to myself today while playing that if this is how my British Army looks.....sheesh....how good your British Army must be. Amazing I bet.

Dan
    No problems and I hope you enjoy conquering the world

As for own British Army......if you ask alhoon (who co-developed Causa Belli Mod) he will tell you I like too many units, (I think you can never have enough) so he nearly had heart attack when I told him I had completed (some samples in the slides)

Dragoon Guards (1st through 7th), Foot Guards (1st - 3rd, Guard and their Grenadier Coy) Line Infantry (1st through 40th, Line & Grenadier Coy's), Household Cavalry (1st & 2nd Troop Lifeguards, House Cavalry (Blues), 1st & 2nd Troop Horse Gren Guards) and Cavalry (1st through 18th), and a fair few of the Light Companies.
    I still have to complete Line Infantry above 40th (most are done, I need to pack them) and the Scottish units (again some I have done). Whilst the Bulk is done I have quite a few tweaks to them to complete, and the unit queue was challenging

It is quite difficult given the scope of the game (1700 to xx) to draw a line and say that's it, and as you know the British army went through many reforms/changes/expansion in the period so my composition whilst based as much as possible on historical units (where I have a visual reference) will not necessarily appeal to all (including those who want an historical simulator), I take the view ETW is a game and I play it how I enjoy it, I like the investment in the units, and prefer say the
    6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons to Euro Dragoons etc.

Enjoy the game and if you anything else let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slide2.JPG   Slide24.JPG   Slide2.JPG   Slide1.JPG  

Hammeredalways,

Mate I'm Australian and as such not easily impressed, but I have to say with each post you write I become more and more so. The sheer scope of what our modders can do is simply astonishing, I can just imagine when the new Warhammer Total War (or any new Total War Game) comes out what you modders must be thinking. "Hmmm....not bad, wait till I get my hands on this!!!" If its ok to say so, you guys make the original game look like a complete unfinished and un-polished product.

Your British Army is simply superb, and I couldn't agree more when you say that you can never have too many units to choose from, its a long campaign when played properly and you want to be able to inject your superior armies when and where they are most required. I have found nothing more boring than to keep churning out the same old Regular Infantry, you have added a whole new aspect to the game for me. "Now where do I want the Coldstream Guards? Ill add the Foresters nearby for support" that sort of thing. I can actually raise American British Line Infantry in the Americas, wow mate, its so much fun to play now....thanks to you.

Please...I cant ask you to give me any more, you have given me so much already...amazing!!!

Thanks so much.

PS: I cant work out how to give you Rep.

Dan