Thread: Germanic Units for Alans

saamohod's Avatar Tiro

Default Germanic Units for Alans

AFAIK Alans were a tribe with Iranic ancestry, therefore abundance of Germanic units in Alani roster looks strange. Lots of unit names ending with "Germani" or "Germanorum". Why is that?
    "Orcs were mustering, and far to the east and the south the wild peoples were arming."
    J.R.R.Tolkien.

Default Re: Germanic Units for Alans

Ahiga could answer this better, obviously, but I am pretty sure they are assigned a fairly generic roster right now. I could be wrong about that.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Went with a mix of Germanic and Alan because I felt there wasn't enough of an Alan population in continental Europe to support the masses of infantry. Might be a mistake since there was a state of the serfs/slaves of the Alans in the balkans briefly before the Romans threw them under the bus. Generally with all factions I've tried to depict the proper reality that there was nothing like the monolithic nation states as we know them today - a Persian army wouldn't just be "Persian" with a few Arabs but rather Iranian, Iranian-Azeribajiani (Atropatene/Adurbagadan), Daylami, Armenian, Nomadic Iranian, Arabs.

Could in the future add a few Alan infantry units but it would still be mixed.

This needs to be fixed IMO. At present the Alans can't recruit any Alanic units except for Alanic Spearmen. Even if you settle in Sarmatia. It's not enough to have access to Sarmatian and Germanic units, when they're what's left of the classic sarmatians, and they start in their homeland. They also have Ambacti units, which is ridiculous, unless they're in Gaul. The Alanic FreeLC was neglected here it seems. Also, you can't even recruit the units you start the game with, so once they die they're gone for good.
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Also, reckon if this is going to be done, you could make them blonde plz? It's sore point for a stickler, but the Alans were meant to be almost exclusively tall and blonde. It would be cool to see the alans blonde, and maybe the sarmatians left as is, to simulate how intermixed and scattered the regular sarmatians of this period had become.
    FYI the source on their appearance was Ammianus Marcellinus
    ♠ We Few, We happy few, We Band of Brothers
    For He who sheds His blood with me shall be my Brother ♠

CPU
    : i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz, Water Cooler: Corsair H100i (2x Noctua NF-F12 pull), MoBo: ASRock Z77 Extreme 4,
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1866MHz CL9Red, GPU: ASUS DCIIOC GTX 770, PSU: Corsair AX750,
    Case: Corsair 500r White, SSD: Samsung 840 128gb, Optical: LG BH16NS40 OEM Blu-ray Writer,
    Monitors: Alienware AW2310 23.6" & Samsung UA40ES6200, Audio: Creative T20 Series II &
    Sony HTCT260H, Keyboard: Logitech G510 & K400r, Mouse: Logitech Anywhere Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    They also have Ambacti units, which is ridiculous, unless they're in Gaul.
    By the 5th century, variations of ambactos as a descriptor of "retainer(s)" in both a political and a military sense had been adopted by several major language groups, including not just Latin, but Germanic and Celtic (both P- and Q-) as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ♠ Thomas Cochrane ♠ View Post
    Also, reckon if this is going to be done, you could make them blonde plz? It's sore point for a stickler, but the Alans were meant to be almost exclusively tall and blonde. It would be cool to see the alans blonde, and maybe the sarmatians left as is, to simulate how intermixed and scattered the regular sarmatians of this period had become.
    FYI the source on their appearance was Ammianus Marcellinus
    Well, he doesn't say they were almost exclusively tall and blonde, and by this time there would have been extensive intermixing with both Germanic and West Asian tribes as well as other Iranians. I think a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio of blondes to other hair colors would probably be sufficient.