Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Authentic City Names

Default Re: Authentic City Names

Noticed that in AoC in my Asturias campaign, some of the names when they come up in pop ups/battles overlap with the original name.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Delicate Strawberry; March 11, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

Which ones in particular? There seems to be an uneven naming scheme in the table (from CA, not me), I'm wondering if that's the cause.

Seems to be random, I tried different battles and some were fine, some weren't. London and Leon were the main two I saw. Maybe the naming scheme as you mentioned?

Just had a thought, the new names don't go on to the objectives/chapter lists etc, so maybe it's something to do with that? It seems to be trying to read both translations at once.

And you're definitely not running any conflicting mods? In any case, I'm going to try editing the tables in the Assembly Kit rather than PFM and see if that clears up the issue.

Authentic Faction Names is the only one, but I doubt it's that.

Ah, it's the date, it's going over the 'battle of' part instead of appearing at the end of the sentence. Dunno why it took me so long to notice that.

Ugh, I can't find what's doing it. I wonder if it's related to the issue with Mamlakat Himyar in Authentic Faction Names.

In the EP forum I noted that GC is fine, so maybe comparing with those? I'll assist if I can haha

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

if you need some help with old german settlementnames, i could contribute with some information about first references of german towns like Erfurt (Erphesfurt), Osnabrück (Osnabrugga), Hamburg (Hamaburg/Trefa), Magdeburg (Magodoburg/Ekmagadi), Hildesheim (Hildeneshem), Paderborn (Padrabrunne), Utrecht (Uztrehte), Halberstadt (Halberstidi), Brandenburg (Bredanburh), Leipzig (Libia), Dresden (Drezdany), Stargard (Starigard), Bremen (Bremo) etc. I work with the Invasio Barbarorum Team and help out with historic research.
    Last edited by Serapio; April 21, 2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Serapio View Post
    if you need some help with old german settlementnames, i could contribute with some information about first references of german towns like Erfurt (Erphesfurt), Osnabrück (Osnabrugga), Hamburg (Hamaburg/Trefa), Magdeburg (Magodoburg/Ekmagadi), Hildesheim (Hildeneshem), Paderborn (Padrabrunne), Utrecht (Uztrehte), Halberstadt (Halberstidi), Brandenburg (Bredanburh), Leipzig (Libia), Dresden (Drezdany), Stargard (Starigard), Bremen (Bremo) etc. I work with the Invasio Barbarorum Team and help out with historic research.
    Thanks! I certainly appreciate any help from more experienced historians/linguists.

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

you are welcome, pm me what help is needed and i will have a look on it. my mainapproach is to find out the first references of german/middle-european settlement names and to use etymologic deductions of modern citynames or former settlements. in some cases there are more then one possible origins of a settlementname. so there will be always a certain proportion of speculation left

So, Sarai -> Atil it is wrong, Atil stands on a Volga river (now near Astrakhan), Sarai in game stands on a Ural river,so better name will be Sarai-Juk,but that city will build in X century, looks like CA make mistake in location of Sarai
    ps.sorry for my English,i try speak from my hearth)))

Quote Originally Posted by EFIMOVtw View Post
    So, Sarai -> Atil it is wrong, Atil stands on a Volga river (now near Astrakhan), Sarai in game stands on a Ural river,so better name will be Sarai-Juk,but that city will build in X century, looks like CA make mistake in location of Sarai
    ps.sorry for my English,i try speak from my hearth)))
    Yeah, that one is me just kind of coming up something that would fit better for the time period.

BTW, I'm going to be making an update soon for all three mods, so everybody is free to offer suggestions or corrections, either here or by PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12