Thread: armour_ug_levels...

Default armour_ug_levels...

IE:
    armour_ug_levels 4
    armour_ug_models Mongol_Bodyguard

What does the armour_ug_levels represent? I'm deleting ug1 meshes after modifying base mesh models in the Modeldb file...Once I'm in game and a building gives units armor upgrade, will the fact that I've deleted the ug1 mesh give me trouble?

Default Re: armour_ug_levels...

Basically, as I understand it, the number represents the blacksmith level of a single armor level.

4, here, means you would need a 4th level blacksmith to upgrade Mongol_Bodyguard to it's 0th level armor upgrade. Doesn't make sense, does it? But add a , 5 after and suddenly it means you need a 5th level blacksmith to give the unit a bronze level armor upgrade.

If you delete the ug entries in the modeldb file, make sure you also remove the related text in the armour_ug_models. For example, if you delete the MDB entry for mongol_bodyguard_ug1, make sure you delete the "Mongol_Bodyguard_Ug1" from this hypothetical line in the EDU:

armour_ug_models Mongol_Bodyguard, Mongol_Bodyguard_Ug1

This way, the game won't try and load a mesh that doesn't exist and make itself crash.

You should also delete the numbers after the first one in the armour_ug_levels line, but it's not necessary. Leaving them will most likely still allow an armour upgrade, but will not make any visual changes to the unit after upgrade like normal.

Icon14 Re: armour_ug_levels...

That's great news...This is what I have been doing, so now I can keep plowing forward without the uncertainty of whether I was doing something wrong...

Sorry for the necro post, but I can't seem to find an accurate answer anywhere.

There's a few threads that explain the actual values of each armour upgrade, however the main thing I can't determine is this.

Is the first value used for anything other than a reference point?

So we know the armour values are:
    1 = +4
    2 = +6
    3 = +7
    4 = +8
    5 = +10
    6 = +11

So if a unit had

armour_ug_levels 0,1,2,3

It would get +4 on the first upgrade.
    Followed by +6(+2) and +7(+1)

However if a unit had
    armour_ug_levels 5,6

Would it get +10 to its base instantly?
    Or would this just determine that it's first upgrade would be +11?

Essentially, in the case the first value is NOT 0, is it's underlying value actually applied?
    It seems somewhat illogical to be yes, as this is an entirely 'hidden' (and extremely significant) armour buff.
    If no, then is there any logic to the vanilla EDU having single values for this field?
    There are some units with "armour_ug_levels 6". If there is no second value to determine the value of the 'bronze' armour upgrade, what value does the first number provide?

Medusa0's Avatar Artifex

Afaik, all upgrade levels are equal and gives around 2.5 more armour points. With that, a unit of Peasants with padded armour has 2.5 armour points (0 + 2.5 X 1), while a Halberd Militia with heavy mail has 7.5 (0 + 2.5 X 3), the same applies to say, a feudal knight with a partial plate upgrade that will have 7.5 armour (5 + 2.5 X 1).

The base armour upgrade levels for un-upgradeable units, such as Christian Guards (3 - heavy mail) and Gendarmes (6 - advanced plate) has no effects, but are probably there to determine what the next upgrade level should be if the developers or modders decide to make any additions.

Thanks for the reply Medusa0.

The conflicting information is indeed frustrating.

I've also established that your 2nd paragraph may be incorrect.

I created 2 identical units, with 0 base armour and provided one with

armour_ug_levels 6
    and another with
    armour_ug_levels 0

and the 6 won every time. I then switched the numbers, and the "6" unit won again.

So in your above, you're implying the following:

Assuming a base armour level of 0 and bronze upgrade.

armour_ug_levels 0,1 = 2.5
    armour_ug_levels 1,2 = 5.0
    armour_ug_levels 2,3 = 7.5
    armour_ug_levels 3,4 = 10
    armour_ug_levels 4,5 = 12.5
    armour_ug_levels 5,6 = 15

???
    Did I understand that correctly?

Can you somehow edit how much stats an armor/weapon upgrade gives? (also which stats, is it f.e. possible to make an update which gives the unit more def skill?)
    If yes, can you make these values negativ?

I think there is some way to create new armour upgrades somehow, as I remember seeing a mod where someone created their own custom levels.

You can't make upgrades give defence skill though.