Thread: How to remove a unit from a unit mod

Sebidee's Avatar Artifex

Default How to remove a unit from a unit mod

Unit mods are very popular, some add dozens of units. The problem though is that sometimes one unit can spoil the pack for you, the unit isn't necessarily bad - it just doesn't fit into your opinion of what the faction's roster should be. Countless times I have considered downloading a unit mod only to turn it down simply because of a single unit, it's a real shame because the other 90% of the mod is perfect!

With this tutorial I will show you a quick and simple way of removing a unit from a unit mod that will take you no more than 10 minutes. It will remove only the units you don't like while keeping the ones you do like. It will also keep the original mod exactly as it was before so that your changes are not removed with future updates. You can do this by creating your own personal submod for the game. To do this you need to download Pack File Manager, which you can find here.

For an example I will be removing some controversial units, pikemen, from one of my mods - Sebidee's Suebi Roster Expansion.

Step one:

First you will need to open Pack File Manager. Then you click file and then 'New' so that you have an untitled pack file. Now you need to add a couple of tables from the mod you want to change. To add these tables you right click where it says 'untitled' click 'add' and then 'add from pack' Then you locate the mod you want to change.

Then you import two tables from that mod to your mod. These two tables are units_to_custom_battles_permissions and units_to_groupings_permissions. Each mod will have a prefix that is unique. In this case that prefix is Seb_swe so the two tables are Seb_swe_units_to_custom_battles_permissions and Seb_swe_units_to_groupings_permissions. Double click on both of them to add them to your submod.

Step Two:

Now you will have to edit these tables. Simply click on them to open them, locate the rows that have the units you want to remove, highlight them and press delete. There are two pikemen in my Suebi mod so I will be deleting two rows in both of the tables. The custom battle table removes the unit from custom battles, the groupings table removes them from the campaign.

You must not change anything else. Only those rows. Do not touch the other rows or rename the table.

Step Three:

Now you need to save you submod in such as way that it will over write those parts of the unit pack. The default mod manager for Rome 2 seems to load mods in alphabetical order, so you will need to name your mod so that it will appear before the unit pack in the manager.

I want my submod to load before a file named sebidee_suebi_expansion2. So I will name it sebidee_rsuebi_expansion2. Now it will load before the other.

If you run your game you will see in your mod manager that your submod is before the unit pack. Now the tables in your submod will overwrite the tables in the unit pack, removing your chosen units from the campaign and custom battles.

Result:

Now we can see that that unit is no longer in game. You can enjoy the other units without a care in the world. If you are completely new to modding then you have also made your first mod. Congratulations!

Thank you and happy modding!

- Sebidee.
    Last edited by Sebidee; August 07, 2014 at 09:48 PM.
    Hey! Check out my mods!
    Over 60 mods on the workshop, and a mod group in steam. Click the icons to see them for yourself!

Default Re: How to remove a unit from a unit mod

Hello version PFM 3.2.1 different! (For example, you can Sebidee's Parthian Roster expansionary remove Nativ Hellenic Hopley

Thank you for this, there are many mods with great units but with a couple that can put me off e.g. too many sword infantry in armies that were really spear based.
    This is really helpful!

smoesville's Avatar Vicarius

Have you ever had a problem with a crash at startup when you do this? I'm trying to do it for WHTW and any time i have a table named the same, aside from data_core which is vanilla, i get a crash. It's infuriating.
    Were there but a tree in this godforsaken place i would have hanged myself.