Thread: Why the year 1212?

Default Why the year 1212?

Just for curiosity: why the starting date of 1212?

Styl2000's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Why the year 1212?

I believe they chose this date mostly because it was when the Latins finished there conquest in Greece

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Well 1212 ad is the best date where All factions are even in power and no OP factions like starting positions. And in 1212 is perfect for the Mongols to be in. If its earlier starting date you want to see England with 8-9 regions and France only 3?
    Last edited by FrozenmenSS; October 01, 2016 at 04:02 AM.

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Actually 1212 is not perfect for the Mongols, in 1212 Genghis Khan was still about to campaign in China for years, and his realm didn't even border Khwarezmia as he didn't conquer the Kara Khitai untill 1218. Only then in 1219 did he invade Khwarezmia as seen in the planned map.

So 1218 would be the better startdate there, however every family tree and everything would have to be rechecked for accuracy. Although that'd better happan before a startpos file is completed if this is chosen
    Last edited by Linke; October 01, 2016 at 04:29 AM.

If I remember correctly, in the earliest days of the mod the developers made a poll on the starting date of the mod. Many people chose the year 1212, and here we are.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post
    Actually 1212 is not perfect for the Mongols, in 1212 Genghis Khan was still about to campaign in China for years, and his realm didn't even border Khwarezmia as he didn't conquer the Kara Khitai untill 1218. Only then in 1219 did he invade Khwarezmia as seen in the planned map.

So 1218 would be the better startdate there, however every family tree and everything would have to be rechecked for accuracy. Although that'd better happan before a startpos file is completed if this is chosen
    Probably wont though.

Which is why 1212 is perfect! You have a good amount of years to prep for the Mongols

Visarion's Avatar Alexandros
    Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Linke View Post

Yeah well with this exact thing is not always ok... as it's best showing future events and what factions became important... guess the year is for the multidude of factions existing then... plus undeed some time to prepare for the nomads

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I miss the days of Medieval Total War (2002). In that game, you could choose Early, High and Late Medieval campaigns. The early campaign started with a large Byzantine empire, with most of its pre-Manzikert territory. The High campaign was set after the Fourth Crusade, and the Late campaign... well I never bothered with that as I was only interested in the first two.

I think 1212 is an interesting start date, I have no objection to it. If anything, it makes a nice change from the Medieval 2 TW experience, where it was usually either 1080 or some point in the 12th century, depending on which mod you were playing.