Thread: Buying a new laptop

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Default Buying a new laptop

Well, the time has come for a new one, I guess. Time to replace the existing one.

Current specs:

ASUS N55SF
    Intel Core 2 Duo i5 2.3 GHZ
    8 GB RAM DDR3
    750GB HDD
    nVIDIA GeForce GT555m
    Bang & Olufsen Sound System (sounds excellent)

I'm looking to stick with ASUS, throughout these almost 5 years it worked almost perfectly, I did get a couple of BSODs because of drivers mainly, nVidia being the main culprit. Plus I love the keyboard and I think I will keep it in the family.

That being said, time for a new one! What I'm looking for are similar specs for 2016 aka 16GB of RAM and a good video card. I do play videogames, but the games I'm interested in right now - Battlefield 4 and Attila TW. So nothing too daunting on the system to be fair.

Can anyone recommend a good ASUS? My main concern - how good are the Republic of Gamers laptops?

Open to other recommendations though, not necessarily ASUS.

Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Default Re: Buying a new laptop

I'll be following thus with interest - check out the MSI.

Unfortunately MSI aren't available around hence why I'm sticking with ASUS mainly.

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

RoG laptops look too gamer-ey for my taste. They're good machines though. Especially the new ones. Asus customer support is absolute balls though.

RoG laptops do look too gamer-ey, but that's the entire target market for them after all. I'm just curious on their build quality, how solid is it.

While its not a laptop I do have the ASUS ROG G20 desktop and its quite the machine for the sale price I got it for. 1100 USD It is a "mini" tower and it does look gamer-y with the customizable color sections and all but its "oculus ready" and for the sale price is a very powerful machine. Downside is that its a tight tower and difficult/limited in what it can upgrade. As far as bulid quality I feel like ROG is always solid, desktop or laptop, I've always checked them out every time I visit best buy. I actually did have the asus ROG laptop series from about 3 years back but instead returned it and got the laptop I currently have which is a Lenovo Y7?? series with 2.4 ghz i7 8gb ram and a gtx 860m. Cant remember why I returned the ROG for the Lenovo but the Lenovo has bee solid aside from some Windows issues. As far as gaming I always looked up what a comparable rig could do and it always lived up to its standards.

It(the Lenovo) was pretty solid 3 years ago when I got it but does show its age with more recent tiltes, particularly anything processor heavy CIV 5 and 6. Hence the upgrade to the ASUS ROG G20 desktop but I saw the Lenovo Y7?? gaming series laptops for around 999.99 US dollars which is pretty comparable in price and hardware at time of purchase to the Lenovo laptop I currently have.

If you don't have to go laptop I would really recommend the ASUS desktop though. I've had dells, alienware and HP before and the ASUS is the real deal
    Last edited by gradeAhaze; November 29, 2016 at 08:55 PM.