Thread: How to bring an external model into Attila (plus an FAQ)

Default How to bring an external model into Attila (plus an FAQ)

So I'd figure I'd make an update on what I posted previously.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Up-and-Helmet

That link is most of the tutorial. This might come off as a bit trollish but I'm being dead serious here. You can use ANY of the rome 2 max files, shader_materials, pretty much anything you want from this part of the Rome 2 Assembly Kit to help you out for bringing stuff into Attila. The process is virtually identical so there's not too much to say. However if you do want something that isn't a rehash I decided to dedicate the rest of the OP to a lot of frequently asked questions I that I've gotten that I'm gonna answer.

Q: I'm using 3DS Max 2014(or a later version) are you sure the tutorial is the same?

A: Yes, the process is still the same, nothing has changed between the versions that will interfere with your process. You can just change the version mentioned from 2013 to 2014 and it's still the same. If a new version comes up that does something to mess the process up, I'll update this answer.

Q: What do I do if I get this error?

Texture folder: variantmeshes/_variantmodels/man/helmets/texERROR: Weighted mesh 'CatHelmet_lod1 subobject 0' is trying to use a Rigid Mesh shader 'standard'.
    Failed.
    A: This is the most common question I get, what's funny is I could of sworn I addressed this in the tutorial thread proper, but I actually didn't. So here's the solution, way at the bottom of the material editor you should have a slot called "rigid_material" with a term in it, you need to change it from whatever it says to weighted. Here's a screen for reference.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Q: I can't find that "rigid_material" slot you mentioned. What am I doing wrong?

A: This is two things in one actually. First off this is why I use Rome 2's shader instead of Attila's since Rome 2 has the slot at the bottom and it's just more simplistic and better this way. Now I have encountered a bug and have had people ask me about this bug where "even with the Rome 2 shader I still can't find that slot."
    I figured how to fix this:

1. Save the max project file that you were using.
    2. Open one of the example max files, ideally one of the weighted ones like the helmet or body armor. (Now I assuming that you have set up the example max file like how I mentioned in the first part of my original tutorial.)
    3. Then I want you to go to your import button but don't press the button. Move your cursor to the arrow on the right so you have a bunch of alternative options. Select the one "merge" one
    4. Select your max file.
    5a. You'll see an options screen come up. This is asking you what you want to take from your max file. Take just your model and ONLY that model. No bones.
    5b. If it asks you what material to use(the merged one or the scene) choose the scene.
    6. If it's not up, open the compact material editor. Find the material of the example model, and select your model, then look for the "assign material to selection" button on the material editor, it's to the left of the "x" button.
    7. Replace the vanilla textures with yours.

You should be good to go, you will have to rig the model again but it's worth it to fix the problem. If the above steps confuse you, I've attached screens that should help you out.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Q: Is the process for the helmet the same for body armor, leg armor, etc?

A: Yes, it's exactly the same. The biggest difference is where the armor is positioned and what bones you have to rig it to. If you have problems with positioning, use one the example max files as a reference point. It's a little bit of trial and error but you should get it in due time.

Q: Does this work with shields/weapons?

A: Yes, but it's actually easier. You just need to position your shield in the same spot as the example file(adjusting accordingly from trial and error) You also need to make the rigid_material says default, otherwise it'll give you problems in BOB. Also I strongly recommend using the shield example because that one has no bones and you can't have bones in your shield's cs2 file, otherwise BOB will give you an error mentioning that.

Okay I think that address the big concerns. If you guys have any more or any other issues let me know.

Mr.Jox's Avatar WHY SO SERIOUS?!

Default Re: How to bring an external model into Attila (plus an FAQ)

In case you haven't seen my video tutorial before: It's about how to create rigid_material string in shader material parameters.

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Alright I am at my wits end. I am working on a new AoB helmet and when I export it through BoB, the textures go through fine, the model go through fine, but the rigid model is empty. This is what the rigid model looks like:

In the variant editor, there is no model. Nothing, its like nothing is getting converted at all, even so it go's through BoB the same as if it was a normally functioning helmet.
    Last edited by Dontfearme22; September 14, 2015 at 09:48 PM.

Hey Warman22 do you know how to make weapons work with rome 2? I have made the models and I have heard that you could do it as it was a shield. (Without rigging or anything)
    Which I tried, but my unit ended up holding nothing. Also because you "trick" BOB to think this is a shield it places the weapon in the shield folder in assemblykit which is annoying.

You have an idea what is going on with this error I have?

Texture folder: variantmeshes/_variantmodels/man/armour/texERROR: Rigid mesh 'armadura_pesada_maya1_lod1' is trying to use unsupported shader 'weighted'.
    Rigid Mesh is using unsupported shader
    Failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa_Anna View Post
    You have an idea what is going on with this error I have?
    You don't need a custom attribute (rigid_material: weighted) for weapons and shields.