Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Unit Preview : Independant City Units - Part 1

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Default Re: Unit Preview Thread: Independant City Units

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
    why rush the game, when i want to play this game i would want it to be completely finished with a few kinks being fine. because if a beta comes out and then the complete version comes out later, i won't have enough interest to play the complete version.

its quite simple don't rush perfection
    But you see, perfection can never be attained.
    Blut und Boden

I'm with Aetius on this. IF the game is in any way playable, I'd say go ahead and release it. The players will soon uncover any bugs and balance issues. Just look at EB. They released a beta, version 0.7 I think, and the game has continued to improve and gain popularity ever since. I remember the RTR team delayed version 6.0 in an attempt to make it perfect - and again it needed three or four updates. Fact is, even if the guys continue working on Hegemonia for another year, there will still be issues to be dealth with once it's released. There's a huge appetite for this mod - more than enough to key MTW2 at bay for a while - so I don't think people will be turned off if the initial release is not 100% perfect.

its just a saying. it means have patience
    and also not all the factions are done yet so ther would be know point in releasing it now, sadly.

don't get me wrong everybody and i mean everybody wants a release now, but the team won't release now and i agree with them that they should try and get as much of hegemonia: city states done as they can for a first release. then fix the bugs

They haven't posted yet any previw for the spartans!!!

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

Very much looking forward to this one! Many thanks to the team.

Just a note about sieges.

The fact that spies can open enemy city gates represents quite nicely the exploitation of stasis.

Assaults (of smaller poleis etc.) were far more common in the Classical period than most people think, as a close reading of Thucydides shows (but then again, hoplites weren't named after their shields and Spartan officers didn't have transverse crests!)

For example in the first 5 years of the Peloponnesian War, 5 places were assaulted (including Epidaurus and Prasiae). Some time ago I wrote an article on this and something like 50% of assaults failed, however.

Assaults on large poleis were almost unheard of, so medium and large poleis should probably start the game with large walls, and siege equipment should take longer to build; artillery should be very expensive and rare. It would be highly anachronistic to have armies marching around with siege trains.

Note that game-wise, despite initial appearances, this might improve the game as there will be less battles but these will be far more important (large battles were rare in this period and winning or losing a big battle should have real consequences); sieges will be laid and armies sent out to relieve friendly cities before they starve.

Agesipolis' method at Mantinaea (in 384) underlines another aspect; the Mantinaeans were made to demolish their walls after the siege, and this was a not uncommon practice; would it be possible to make walls destroyable after capturing a city?

Quote Originally Posted by Shqiponja_Hayabusa View Post
    They haven't posted yet any previw for the spartans!!!
    No, there's a Spartan preview around somewhere - a good one too. It should be on this site, otherwise check their official site.

the only problem with large battles is that they arent large enough. 2k on each side is pretty small, and any larger then that itll start chugging for most people. a 10k battle on each side is alot more something that we be nice to see with huge line formations wheeling around, unfortunetly this isnt possible.

There is a Spartan preview around but its out of date.

Battle size depends on your computer- feel free to change the settings to however high you want in the text files but remember you probably can't draw 20000 soldiers even with the new lod models.

Believe in Hegemonia... Or the Megarian will get you.

its just a saying. it means have patience
    and also not all the factions are done yet so ther would be know point in releasing it now, sadly.

don't get me wrong everybody and i mean everybody wants a release now, but the team won't release now and i agree with them that they should try and get as much of hegemonia: city states done as they can for a first release. then fix the bugs
    Dont tell me to be patient. I have been waiting on this mod forever. And I was even waiting on the mod before ithis one that was similiar (AoH -Age of Hellas??) It is about time they release Heg. And I am sick of the producers telling us to wait. If they want money I would be glad to give it if they released in the next couple of days. I am sure they are not that far away from finishing if they worked hard for a couple of days.
    Blut und Boden

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

if you say it like that... think of all the mods that had an early release but then to many bugs made the mods very unplayable and unfinished factions made it unappealing.... I.E. Res Gestae (was supposed to be a great mod but was released early to fan pressure, now the project is dropped), Iberia Total War ( ive not seen much activity in that forum anymore after the non finished release),... and many others.... mods are hard work aetius and if you want the mod to be released now i say that you start your own and see how much hard work and long hours must be put in to make the mod as bug less and ctd free as possible so the fan base will stay around longer......

and if you are really a great fan of this mod then you should wait more since you know that the developers want you to have fun when you first get to play this mod... not just a pure skeleton of what it can be..

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Dont tell me to be patient. I have been waiting on this mod forever. And I was even waiting on the mod before ithis one that was similiar (AoH -Age of Hellas??) It is about time they release Heg. And I am sick of the producers telling us to wait. If they want money I would be glad to give it if they released in the next couple of days. I am sure they are not that far away from finishing if they worked hard for a couple of days.
    Okay I wont tell you to wait I'll instead tell you to do it your self if you think it can be be done in a few days id love to see you try. Oh and before you cry about developers fighting back i am no long active on this mod team so i can say whatever I like.
    Last edited by spirit_of_rob; February 19, 2007 at 03:36 PM.
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Leave it be and let the fellows finish the mod. Really, show a little composure and just wait. Don't ruin the experience for everyone by demanding an unfinished product. All the modders have to do is push away from their monitors and call it quits. Just let them do it.
    "The strongest passions and most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venal love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace." -J. Madison

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Hey Flip, old Chap, well what you say is naturally true, but also it depends just on the mod-stage, ie. if there is a working map and all map-releated files, the unit roster, skins, models, a starting tech-tree, and all the basic graphics with a unique interface, and for sure the main-idea/identy provided, just the campaign, then it is worth a soon beta-release.

Remember Chivalry 0.34 (at this stage pretty bugged, that was april/may 2005), that was what i listed above, and then the team was burned out, new members came into the team, and "finished"/continued the job, and Chiv(-team) is existing(working) just until today, and will release its 1.0 version in the next two months probably. Why was that project pretty successive and active? Cause it was able to release mayor updates and patches in a quite regular base, and 'cause there was at least one person who deals all the time with the files and managed it to have a functioning beta-test-team etc.
    And chiv is only one example, there are much more projects of that kind.

So i wouldn't say, that (early) beta-releases would fail in any case. It's always dependant from the persons who deal with the mod-project if it can be a long term project or only a pretty short light.

And for sure, a mod is never really finished, as it can forever get improvements, if people (modders) want to improve it (naturally unrealistic, as any mod or game will loose its attraction with the time).

However, it is only "legal" to use the community/basic-game-fans also as open-beta users/testers, and naturally very helpful for the developers, although the own testing as developer or a good beta-testing team is more effective, if ruled by experienced modders/managers. And however, if a mod has no long-term-value in itself or overall not enough attraction, then it will fail or just die out, if "finished"/final or just beta-stage, 'cause naturally furthermore there won't be any more new developers who work on such a "death-birth", and just the vice verca case is as well true.
    Last edited by DaVinci; February 19, 2007 at 03:56 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

asking for a early release when you have done nothing to help the team is quite a selfish thing to do and like spirit_of_rob said, just do it yourself then if you can't wait or go cry.

and it doesn't matter for the early release because not all factions are done yet so the hegemonia: city states mod wouldn't be as fun as it should be but would still be fun

asking for a early release when you have done nothing to help the team is quite a selfish thing to do and like spirit_of_rob said, just do it yourself then if you can't wait or go cry.

and it doesn't matter for the early release because not all factions are done yet so the hegemonia: city states mod wouldn't be as fun as it should be but would still be fun
    Hey, I have been waiting for almost 2 years for this mod and I am really tired of waiting. You yourself only joined this last December, and maybe you used to come to these forums before that but this waiting is the worst kind of torture possible. I am just saying the it would be kind of the producers to speed up the mod because the updates seem to show almost nothing happening.
    Blut und Boden

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    Hey, I have been waiting for almost 2 years for this mod and I am really tired of waiting. You yourself only joined this last December, and maybe you used to come to these forums before that but this waiting is the worst kind of torture possible. I am just saying the it would be kind of the producers to speed up the mod because the updates seem to show almost nothing happening.
    Come on, I'm sure it will only be a bit longer. I know its excruciating, I've been salivating for awhile myself. But let the finished product release when it will. The modders have worked their tails off as is, and piling demands on them only worsens the situation. Like I said, above, they can dump everything when they feel like it, so lets not get over-demanding and rash about things. Lets face it, we are at their whim. You just have to wait.
    "The strongest passions and most dangerous weaknesses of the human breast; ambition, avarice, vanity, the honorable or venal love of fame, are all in conspiracy against the desire and duty of peace." -J. Madison

Quote Originally Posted by HopliteGlory View Post
    Come on, I'm sure it will only be a bit longer. I know its excruciating, I've been salivating for awhile myself. But let the finished product release when it will. The modders have worked their tails off as is, and piling demands on them only worsens the situation. Like I said, above, they can dump everything when they feel like it, so lets not get over-demanding and rash about things. Lets face it, we are at their whim. You just have to wait.
    Let us both hope this is true.
    Blut und Boden

I dont mean the old spartan preview with the Dark Fenrir's spartans,I want the preview that hegemonia promised us saying that the spartans would have been better looking than the old ones.The new preview...

xhaxhi Skenderbeu

is it just me or have we gotten off topic.

this thread was made for viewers like us to enjoy the art that the hegemonia team makes

is it just me or have we gotten off topic.

this thread was made for viewers like us to enjoy the art that the hegemonia team makes
    I think the squabbling above just shows how excited people still are about this project. Of all the incomplete mods still out there, I think this one probably has the most anticipation.

Personally I'm not too bothered about updates - I've had all the updates I need. They're just torture right now. What i want is the release!