Thread: Distant Guns

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Distant Guns

Anyone have been playing Distant Guns? It's a tactical naval simulator about the Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). I am fairly new to this game and I noticed either russian ships are underpowered or japanese ships are OP. I wonder if worths starting a campaign with Russia or would be a great challenge. How can I beat those japanese battleship monsters?

Default Re: Distant Guns

I own it and have only played it a few times. It is an amazing simulator as is SES Jutland by the same company. But very old now.
    Still probably the best I have seen in a 3D naval simulation. The devs though seem to be very unpopular.

As for winning as the Russians. I would say you must match strength against weakness because you probably will not win in a straight fight. Unless that is you can get your Russian crews some training and rest as well as refitting the ships after their voyage half way around the world. The Japanese have British designed ships so you would do well to just hit and run.

Some pics of Jutland.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Thank you for your reply Destraex. I haven't played a campaign yet but I did some custom battles with the editor. I also have Jutland, never played already but tested for a while and the gameplay is quite similar if not the same. I will try what you are saying.

Another question I have is, during the battles, which controls do you have in your division or task force? I know how to form a new division, select division or task force or a ship individual, turning options (independly, by succession, turn inmediately, turn inmediatelly and reform, ...), set speed, target enemies. Here I have another question about targeting enemies: you can target free, target the nearest leader or torp nearest leader or torp free but by selecting target free when your ship is closer to the enemy ship, your ship automatically launch torps, however I didn't select torp nearest enemy ship/free yet. I would like to understand how torpedo mechanics works, but I really like the idea that every battleship and cruiser has torpedos contrary to World of Warships, where low tier cruisers and battleships didn't have torpedos (for example, Mikasa).

By the way, I discovered a bug in both games: Distant Guns and Jutland that makes possible to put the camera on waterline to see the ships better. Give a try if you can: in options while you are in game, go to Load Preset Display Options and cancel, now you can put the camera at 0 meters. However, is not supported and may crash your game.

By saying target free, it means the fire at will iirc (like weapons free today). I have not played enough to remember.
    So I think the captain (or admiral) must give the order "target free" to give the crew freedom to target anything they like with all weapons.

I play WOWs as well and while it is good fun with friends it's not realistic. But in a 15 min battle I don't expect much.

Why do you think the 0 meters thing is a bug?

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Thank you for your explanations, there are not much information out there about this game. You are right about WOWs, I like it because of the graphics and detailed ships but I am not a fan of arcade games.

The 0 meters thing is great since ship models are small IMHO, they look better at 0 meters. I discovered it by myself, I contacted support and they told me is not supported by design but anyway I am happy with that. By the way, in your opinion, what kind of game would be Distant Guns? I mean, do you think is a strategy game? a simulator? or what?

A simulator. It is extremely detailed and extremely accurate especially with distances.
    It is real time though and even shows crew on deck iirc .
    Last edited by Destraex; February 23, 2017 at 08:35 AM.