Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Battlebrothers - Hybrid Tactical RPG

Default Re: Battlebrothers - Hybrid Tactical RPG

Yeah it needs the Mount and Blade style factions and warfare.

But the tactical battles are among the best designed I have played for a long time.

I especially love their attention to detail, from graphical representation of damage to tactical intricacies.

Yerevan's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post

But the tactical battles are among the best designed I have played for a long time.

I especially love their attention to detail, from graphical representation of damage to tactical intricacies.
    You're right, and the game is beautifull. I don't think 3D models, even of the best facture, would make it better. From the little experience with computer games I have you can have the more realistic models, if the gameplay is dumb, there's no immersion. On the opposite, rich gameplay makes your imagination transform a basic sprite into a lively being.

Now what this game need is an inspiring worldmap and proper strategic features so it's not just an alibi for a "serie of unconnected battles" as exciting and realistic as those battles can be.

But at the moment I don't see better tactical medieval battles than Battle Brothers.
    Last edited by Yerevan; May 05, 2015 at 11:21 AM.
    " Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room! "

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by prithupaul View Post

More parties on the map would be a good start. I want to see more tercentenary companies and more towns and cities.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Fast forward one and a half years later. This game is considered one of the best Early Access titles on Steam (and for a good reason); it's constantly updated each month and set to be released during the first quarter of 2017.

The last major update before the final release will contain the following:

• Three different ‘Greater Evil’ end game crises for you to get involved in – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead invasion. Each will come with its own set of contracts, events and changes to the world.
    • An overarching goal to work towards throughout your campaign, and the ability to retire at any point to receive an illustrated ending screen telling of your accomplishments.
    • A more lively and dynamic world, with more opportunities for you to shape it, and more relation between what is going on in the world and contracts on offer.
    • A memorial wall screen where your fallen Battle Brothers are listed with their deeds.
    • An overhaul of the mood and desertion mechanics on the worldmap.
    • An overhaul of the undead faction with new visuals and lore, unique lootable weapons and armor, and the introduction of new enemy types with their own fighting style.
    • An overhaul of ghouls as independent beasts that are more interesting and challenging to fight.
    • More contracts and events to change things up.
    • Various improvements to usability in both combat and on the worldmap.
    • Steam achievements.

The last major update has been released almost two weeks ago. The game is in beta right now, having already been patched several times.

LOL at the random flak I got for my original post

Praeses

I enjoy this game, its probably suitable for a tablet or even a phone but for some dumb reason I have it on my PC and its eating up my time.

Simplified M&B with no home base is a fair summary, your have clunky hex based battles, repetitive missions drip feeding resources so you can fight battles that drip feed experience so you can take on bigger missions. For a simple system there's a decent array of viable approaches: you can go Roman, Landsknecht, linear, deep, I'm trying a sort of Byzantine mixed arms (but there's no player cavalry yet) and that's a decent meat grinder. Small tweaks in the opposition means you have to adopt very different tactics, and the terrain is simple but makes you think too. If you find yourself up a four tile high ridge at the start of the battle things get a lot easier.

Tough game, worked out how to survive in beginner now I'm on Veteran but only made it to day 44 by reloading maybe four times. No chance I will play on Very Hard setting or ironman for now.

Looking forward to the modding community getting a hold of this, player cavalry, women warriors, in-party healers, low magic mercs (there's some fairly OP magic enemies), maybe new races (elf/dwarf/greenskin parties with tailored missions would be nice), and eventually the ability to start or earn a base. It'd be nice to play a town militia commander, with options to manage your own militia, hire in other parties or go rogue or a Dwarf tinker group with decent fighting skills but more of a mercantile set of objectives.
    Jatte lambastes Calico Rat

Yeah I have to agree with your points..... except about the combat which is still a highlight for me. Although it can be clunky sometimes, if you get a bad map with too many badly placed obstacles or changes in elevation. Some enemies like Geists are more frustrating than challenging.

Everything else around the combat still leave a lot of room for improvements.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12