Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knights of the Old Republic and other Star Wars games

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Default Re: Knights of the Old Republic and other Star Wars games

I think they are working on one game. What it is has been a rumour.

I have Battlefront 2 on my Pc. I got it on Steam. Sucks playing without a controller though. Some mods don't work, most do but are kinda hard to play. One mod is a KOTOR mod where you can play as Revan but Revan is broken and makes no sense. It's like he is flailing his arms with a sickle or something and multiple pressing of the attack button makes him dash forward and do a samurai slash, I did it and fell off a platform and died.
    I also have it on my PS2!

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

It's weird though that they do so little with the license. Few licences are as profitable as star wars. And there's also so much potential for it. I mean, games of pretty much any genre can be made with it. And it had highly succesfull games in many genres.

Oddly enough they never did do much with the strategy genre. There's Empire at war and Galactic battlegrounds and I believe that's all.
    I quite like how they did put the age of empires 2 engine to use. While Empire at war is overall better, nothing wrong with having a star wars version of one of the best base building strategy games of all time.

Would be pretty neat if they made a new star wars game on the age of empires 3 engine, with improved graphical detail of course. But I think the engine seems even more suitable for it. The home shipments and choosing advisors when you tech up just seems perfect for it.

They could keep air support limited through the home shipment, ordering directed air strikes over an area. Local mercenaries could be available on various maps when you build a building at their camp. Force users could be limited to homeshipments, like other heroes. And when dead, they couldnt be replaced in the skirmish.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

The last one which was really any good was Rogue Squadron. Sadly the idiots only released it on the PSP which I didn't own. The next one came out on PSP and Nintendo DS... something was going on with Lucasfilm and their terrible decision making. They would have made more money if they released it on the consoles. I wanted it so badly.

I only briefly played Empire at War. The only other games I played were Revenge of the Sith, Phantom Menace (which was awful... PS1), Force Unleashed, Jedi Knight and X Wing.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Jedi power battles (dreamcast) was much better than the phantom menace. I think ive played pretty much all star wars pc (and dreamcast lol) games outside of the expansions to TOR, the new battlefront and some of the lego games.

oh and there is also Force Commander on the strategy genre, which was one of my childhood games, i loved it! Though the pathfinding is certainly the worst of all games ever.

If they make a new RTS of Star Wars, it should have combat close to Men of War or Company of Heroes when it comes to infantry. The reason i coudnt stand EaW was the land battles... completely horrible iMO. The space battles and the campaign were very well made though. I want my infantry going to cover and etc, with every 1 guy being a little unique and doing his own thing, and not they moving like its napoleonic warfare. (also one of the reasons the new Dawn of War will be horrible IMo)
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Company of heroes style warfare could indeed work very well for star wars. That would also make vehicles more expensive but more powerfull too. But I would want the army to be a bit larger.
    Might also be neat if there could be fighting on board of space stations and large ships, if that could somehow be combined with space combat.
    Space stations could be used to train troops and fighter planes too, but only the owner could see on the inside of the space station, and the other player could only see inside when they send troops in there, and could only see the rooms they have entered. Unless they use a R2 unit or some other thing to get the plans.

Having just played through Revenge of the Sith for the Xbox and also dabbled some with the dueling mode and trying one co-op scenario, I think that they should try something like this on a grander scale.

It could cover the jedi/sith battles of all the movies and could expand on some stuff to have more fighting in between, but less stretched out than in this revenge of the sith game where half the missions are on the invisible hand.
    But they could get rid of the xp gain and leveling though. Instead different outfits/appearances and other versions of characters could be unlocked, as well as new lightsabers.
    And before any level you could select the outfit and lightsaber you'd want. Would just be a visual thing.

There could be a reasonable amount of co-op levels too that allow for two players to team up. Like with Revenge of the Sith game, levels could be either battling through enemies or a duel. After completing a level once, a difficult challenge could be unlocked for it which when met causes events to play out differently. Wouldnt affect the overall story though but aside from the changed ending to the level it could give a good reward. The game could also switch between controlling Jedi and Sith.

Here's what I'd picture the levels would be:

1: Escape the trade federation space station.
    Playable characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-gon Jinn.
    Fight your way through battledroids and destroyers in the hallways of the trade federation space station.
    Challenge: Reach the bridge and breach through its door within the time limit to unlock an alternative end where the trade federation is stopped straight away.

2: Desert duel.
    Playable characters: Darth Maul.
    Fight against Qui-gon Jinn untill the time runs out.
    Challenge: Defeat him within the time limit to unlock the alternative end where Qui-gon Jinn is killed and Obi-Wan fights Maul too, kill him to get the ending where the queen is captured and the trade federation wins.

3: Battle for Naboo.
    Playable characters: Obi-wan Kenobi and Qui-gon Jinn.
    Fight through the streets against the trade federation forces and enter the hangar.
    Challenge: Find the hidden terminal that shuts down the droids to unlock an alternative end where the trade federation is stopped much earlier.

4: Duel of the fates.
    Playable characters: Obi-wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn.
    Fight against Darth Maul.
    Challenge: Obi-Wan will get kicked away before moving to the force fields, his player must get through there in time to keep Qui-Gon Jinn alive. The unlocked alternative end shows Qui-Gon training a young Anakin.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    5: Geonosis factory.
    Playable characters: Anakin Skywalker.
    Fight your way through the factory to try and find Obi-Wan.
    Challenge: Reach the end within the time limit to get an alternative ending where Obi-Wan is resqued and the clone army strikes without needless jedi sacrifices.

6: Geonosis arena.
    Playable characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker, Mace Windu, Aayla Secura. (and any other jedi present there that's playable in the game.)
    Survive the waves of enemies in the arena and then fight your way through the Geonosian battlefield.
    Challenge: Don't let Dooku escape to get an alternative ending where he is surrounded by Jedi and captured.

7: Duel of Geonosis.
    Playable characters: Count Dooku.
    Defeat first Obi-Wan, then Anakin and after that last untill the timer expires against Yoda.
    Challenge: Defeat Yoda within the time limit to unlock an alternative end where Dooku finishes off Yoda, Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Bonus level: Duel with Dooku.
    Playable characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker.
    Defeat Count Dooku together with two possible endings: If Anakin has the final hit, Dooku is killed. If Obi-Wan delivers the final hit, Dooku is captured.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8: The invisible hand.
    Playable characters: Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Fight your way to chancellor Palpatine.
    Challenge: Go through a dangerous secret path that allows you to disable the ship, unlocking an ending where the ship is boarded by clones who help save Palpatine.

9: Rematch with Dooku.
    Playable characters: Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Face off against Dooku again.
    Challenge: Make sure Obi-Wan does not get knocked out, so that Dooku is not killed when defeated, but instead reveals Palpatine is the sith. Now a battle follows where Obi-Wan, Anakin and Dooku fight together against Palpatine. When defeating Palpatine, an ending follows where the Sith are ended and Dooku accepts a prison sentence and help to find redemption.

10: Duel in Palpatine's office.
    Playable characters: Mace Windu (and any of the other three jedi masters that might end up playable.)
    Defeat Sidious in a duel.
    Challenge: Defeat Sidious within the time limit to get an ending where Mace Windu kills Sidious before Anakin arrives, and where he uncovers Anakin's motivations when he arrives all emotional and thus expells Anakin from the jedi order.

11: Assault on the jedi temple.
    Playable characters: Anakin Skywalker, Darth Sidious.
    Slightly changed this time, Palpatine comes along to destroy the jedi together with Anakin.
    Challenge: Find and defeat all jedi masters to unlock an ending where Yoda and Obi-Wan arrive for a tough double duel. Defeating them shows an ending where the jedi are completely destroyed and the empire rules unopposed.

12: Duel on Mustafar.
    Playable characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Fight against Anakin on the dangerous place that is Mustafar.
    Challenge: Force push Anakin off the floating platform in the final stage of the duel to unlock an ending where there is no Darth Vader.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    13: Death Star.
    Playable characters: Ben Kenobi and Luke Skywalker.
    Fight your way through the death star to disable the tractor beam.
    Challenge: find the secret route to the prison bay to free Leia and unlock an ending where everyone including Ben Kenobi leaves in the Millenium Falcon.

14: Duel on the death star.
    Playable characters: Darth Vader.
    Fight Ben Kenobi.
    Challenge: Stop the Millenium Falcon from escaping within the time limit after striking down Ben Kenobi to unlock an ending where all passengers are captured.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    15: Assault on echo base.
    Playable characters: Darth Vader.
    Fight your way through echo base as Darth Vader.
    Challenge: Reach the millenium falcon in time to stop them, Luke then comes to fight you. If you beat him, an ending shows the empire wins.

16: Bespin.
    Playable characters: Luke Skywalker.
    Fight your way through Bespin past storm troopers and bounty hunters.
    Challenge: Don't let Boba Fett escape to get an ending where Han is resqued from Carbonite right there and leaves with the others while Luke confronts Darth Vader.

17: Bespin duel.
    Playable characters: Darth Vader
    Fight against Luke Skywalker.
    Challenge: The duel moves to the next area through a cutscene at set points in time. Defeat Luke before the final area is reached to get an ending where Luke is turned to the dark side.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    18: Sarlacc pit showdown.
    Fight on Jabba's barge and the surrounding skiffs to free your friends.
    Challenge: Kill Boba Fett before he falls in the sarlac pit.

19: Endor.
    Fight against imperial scouts and clear one of their outposts.
    Challenge: Find the secret area in the outpost that has information about the shield generator, giving an alternative ending where the rebels destroy the death star much easier.

20: duel with the emperor.
    Playable characters: Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.
    Luke and Vader team up against Palpatine, the duel starting after Luke has defeated Vader.
    Challenge: Don't let Darth Vader be hit by any lightning to unlock an ending where he survives.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    21: Assault on Takodana.
    Playable characters: Kylo Ren.
    Fight against the rebels and find Rey to capture her.
    Challenge: Find and destroy a team of elite rebel commando's in the jungle.

22: Duel on Starkiller base.
    Playable characters: Rey.
    Defeat Kylo Ren.
    Challenge: defeat Kylo Ren within the time limit to unlock an ending where Kylo Ren is killed and Rey falls to the dark side.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much for levels, for the dueling this would put the following characters on the playable roster:

1. Obi-Wan Kenobi. (His episode 1, 2 and 3 appearances would all use this character slot and ability set.)
    2. Qui-Gon Jinn.
    3. Anakin Skywalker. (the good version, covering his episode 2 and 3 appearance before going dark.)
    4. Darth Vader-untouched. (evil version of Anakin, looks the same but has some dark side force powers and can get a red lightsaber.)
    5. Count Dooku.
    6. Darth Maul. (he can switch between igniting either one or two blades of his saberstaff.)
    7. Darth Vader.
    8. Darth Sidious.
    9. Mace Windu.
    10. Yoda.
    11. Ben Kenobi.
    12. Luke Skywalker.
    13: Kylo Ren.
    14: Rey.

And I'd go with adding at least 6 more playable characters to get an even 20 for duel mode. For that I'd go with some aliens and adding some more women to get some good variation.

15: Aayla Secura. (can be playable at the geonosis arena)
    16: Kit Fisto. (can be playable at the geonosis arena and fight against Palpatine.)
    17: Shaak Ti. (can be playable at the geonosis arena, maybe unlockable for the invisible hand and Dooku level since she's there too in a deleted scene.)
    18: Plo Koon. (can be playable at the geonosis arena)
    19: Agen Kolar. (can be playable at the geonosis arena and fight against Palpatine.)
    20: Luminara. (can be playable at the geonosis arena.)

I'd exclude Grievious since he has no force powers and seems like a pain to put in the game. The effort it would take to put him in would likely allow at least two other characters to be added instead of him.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12