Thread: Have you ever played Sid Meiers Colonization a.k.a Colonize (1994)?

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Have you ever played Sid Meiers Colonization a.k.a Colonize (1994)?

This is quite embarrassing guys but I have to admit, Sid Meiers Colonization, aka Colonize (1994) by Microprose is the game I played the most and I still love it!. Yes, I do have Empire, Napoleon, Shogun II, Rome II, even Attila Total War and other modern games but I still play this thing, LOL. The trading system and the game concept have caught me as any other game did. This game is sometimes even funny: when I have privateers and frigates I troll the game just a little to steal some goods to european powers and sell them in Europe. Then, when I have contact with europeans...: "We have been told you are a pirate". No Sir, we condemn the piracy

I just have seen that this old game is in Steam for 7€, I have been thinking about buying it to bring back memories. But I have another question to you, do you know a similar, maybe modern, game to this one?

Default Re: Have you ever played Sid Meiers Colonization a.k.a Colonize (1994)?

Yes had it for the Atari but I played Civ 1 and Pirates more. You had a look at the Civ 4 Colinization remake? I got it in a bundled with Civ4 on Steam.

KEA's Avatar Senator

I was really obsessed by it. I still play the Civ4 version of it occasionally, in particular the Medieval mod. I love the population management where you either had your settler work on a farm, inside your settlement, or give him a horse and gun to create some havoc. No other game got that part better.

Ah, the memories. Colonization was one of first games I played...well, one of first on my first home computer, at least.

Anyway. There is a bunch of mods for Civ4 version, and FreeCol...which is a freeware open-source project recreating the original Colonization gameplay with some graphical improvements etc...so you might wanna check those.

Incendio's Avatar Semisalis

I will have a look at Civ4. Finally I am getting Sid Meiers Colonization (1994) through Steam, just for nostalgia.

Do you remember those criminals with stocks? LOL. The most useless character in the game, can't plow, can't produce anything but spend more food that they produce. What do you do with those people?

By the way, what is your favourite nation to play with?

Back in those old times, I was still a noob, and about 11 years old at that, so Netherlands, with their starting Merchantman and theri price bonus were ideal for me.

IIRC criminals could work in fields just as well as free colonists, but had huge penalties for indoor work. Anyway there were employed only if I couldn't find anyone else for field work, most of the time they ended up just fortified on my colony tile or waiting at pier in Europe.