Thread: Tale of the Week 267: Reformation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Tale of the Week 267: Reformation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

Creative Workshop Competitions - Check out our sister competitions here on TWC! << Picture of the Week Competitions | Tale of the Week Competition | Monthly Writers' Study Competitions >>

Reformation

Congratulations to CommodusIV on winning in your first entry to Tale of the Week! This thought-provoking tale invites us to reflect on how one generation's old tradition was once someone's brave, daring revolution - their legacy. Will a new generation be partners of the last, or will they be enemies?

If you missed a chance to read the storyboard, the winning entry is below:-

TotW 267: Reformation - WINNING SUBMISSION
    Legacy

A thousand years of debate cannot what is true. The truth, oh, but what is the truth? Truth is what
    you see as a man looks you in the eyes as you propose an idea that would change the next century. The words are an apology - sorry, it is not possible at this time He offers a shrug, a sympathetic smile, a statement that he will keep your idea in mind. The eyes tell you that it will not happen, because his interests in the old are vested too deep. The quest for profit has been too deeply ingrained into his mind; what you bring would change what he has used to make a living. Change brings uncertainty; uncertainty brings chaos; chaos brings possibility. Some may see this possibility as the chance to change. Scholars may see this as the opportunity to bring a new theology into the fold of what is accepted and what is considered true. But the man, no, the man sees otherwise. The man sees the end of a legacy. His legacy. Built from decades of what was once a small revolution in practices. His revolution. His change, and his legacy. What do you bring? You bring the opposite. You bring your own change, your own determination of what is true. One could say that you are the man’s enemy. Even now, as your words roll off your tongue as true change rolled off the printing press of old, you look into the eyes of one who stands against the change that you believe in. Just as those who used the printing press to their own ends saw when they looked at those that did not profit from the change you wanted to bring.

What is correct? What is your truth? Consider, as you face the man before you, what will happen to you in a few decades. Will you be looking into the eyes of a young upstart who wishes to change everything? Will you, in your wisdom, see that the change he brings will destroy what you have created? What you make will be irrelevant. A legacy relegated to footnotes. It will be past, and it will no longer be true. The upstart will tear down your home, brick by brick, that you had created with your brand of change and truth.

Look into my eyes, young one. What you have suggested may increase our profit. You will end the system of the old and replace it with something different, maybe even better. What you suggest will make you famous. You will be known to the crowds as a man who made a difference. Just like me. We will be partners. And then I will be too old, and you will cast me aside, just as I once did to my father.

Are you prepared to destroy me? Will you end me with your ideas? I cannot stop you from going somewhere else. I can only warn you...

A big thank you to everyone who submitted an entry or voted in the poll from me on behalf of all the WS Staff. This competition would be nothing without everyone who gets a Tale penned, and the quality of submissions was as excellent as ever.

TotW 267: Submission thread | Voting thread

If you fancy taking part in the Tale of the Week, look out for Tale of the Week 268, coming soon!

Dismounted Feudal Knight's Avatar my horse for a unicode
    Content Director Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tale of the Week 267: Reformation - WINNER'S CIRCLE

:o I somehow won.

Well. Good job me, I suppose :p
    With great power, comes great chonky dragons to feed enemies of the state. --Targaryens?
    Spoiler for wait what dragons?

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Indeed. Good job, you. Congratulations!

(Not sure you qualify as a lurker any more once you've won... )

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A great tale! Congrats for the win! Now maybe next time...

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Congratulations Commodus! Well deserved

(Not sure you qualify as a lurker any more once you've won... )
    I'm going to have to second this... I'll not have it said that a mere lurker defeated me in a trial of the pen!