Thread: Marian Reform issue

Default Marian Reform issue

Hi Guys,

First I want to tell you that this is great mod and I basically bought Attila just for this, great work!

But I have small issue, since I made Marian reform, I cannot recruit basically any legionaries (only spear auxiliary), so I've tried to build some barracks but it did not work. After looking in forums, I found there is requirement 60% of latin culture (if I understand it correctly) - problem is, I do not have 60% in any province. Closest it Rome with 46% and I calculated that I would need 80 culture in order to have 60% which seems to be a lot. And I'm not even talking about the rest of provinces. There are always really high local traditions that I cannot get rid of and also osmosis (what ever it is), in some provinces it is like 14 points in culture.

So, how do I recruit any legionaries?

Cheers, again, thank you for the mod, have a great day!

STDM

Default Re: Marian Reform issue

Quote Originally Posted by STDM View Post
    Hi Guys,

First I want to tell you that this is great mod and I basically bought Attila just for this, great work!

But I have small issue, since I made Marian reform, I cannot recruit basically any legionaries (only spear auxiliary), so I've tried to build some barracks but it did not work. After looking in forums, I found there is requirement 60% of latin culture (if I understand it correctly) - problem is, I do not have 60% in any province. Closest it Rome with 46% and I calculated that I would need 80 culture in order to have 60% which seems to be a lot. And I'm not even talking about the rest of provinces. There are always really high local traditions that I cannot get rid of and also osmosis (what ever it is), in some provinces it is like 14 points in culture.

So, how do I recruit any legionaries?

Cheers, again, thank you for the mod, have a great day!

STDM
    You recruit them from the Colonia Militaris, which is in the Roman Colony line of buildings under the building browser. They are farms but the military line allows legions to be recruited.

Build a Divided Assignments building in an empty slot then upgrade it to a Colonia Militaris. Alternatively you can convert any level 2 farm to a Colonia Militaris. Or demolish a level 3 or 4 farm until it reaches level 2 then convert it.

You can't recruit legions from barracks or region capital buildings, have to build the Colonia Militaris, even in Latium.

After looking in forums, I found there is requirement 60% of latin culture (if I understand it correctly)...
    There isn't such a requirement in AE. This is only in the DeI mod for Rome II.

@Swarbs
    Yes you are correct, I'm now able to recruit legionaries after building Colonia Militaris. Thanks for help, should have found it out myself.

@KampfKeks510
    Then my searching skills have failed me, the issue seems so similar to mine that I haven't checked for what mode thread is.

@Swarbs
    Yes you are correct, I'm now able to recruit legionaries after building Colonia Militaris. Thanks for help, should have found it out myself.

@KampfKeks510
    Then my searching skills have failed me, the issue seems so similar to mine that I haven't checked for what mode thread is.
    No problem, it is a bit difficult to work out from scratch on your first go - you go from having everything recruited at the city centre to needing a completely new line of buildings which weren't even available before.

Take a look at this thread for details of which legions are available where, and also a link to the gameplay guide which gives more details on legion recruitment and the Roman army development in general. Some of it is out of date (particularly granaries which now give food in all seasons and all circumstances) but most of it is still relevant and useful:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-and-Resources

A warning to players who for the first time are doing the Marian reforms. DO NOT upgrade your existing infantry units. Your beautiful triarii, princepes, and hastati will be "upgraded" to town militia.

Civis
    Malang city, East Java province, Indonesia

Yes, I learnt all of them will be "citizen of Rome", better wait to upgrade them when the next "tech reform" is reached ? Augustan, maybe ?

To me it makes sense as basically they all were plebs and citizens of Rome with requirement to serve before Marian reform