Thread: What makes a political characters chances at diplomatic success increase?

Icon5 What makes a political characters chances at diplomatic success increase?

Say I want to send a member from the Equites class on a diplomacy mission, what attribute should I look out for that increases the likelihood of success? If there is any, that is. Thanks for any help, and once again, amazing mod I love it so much!

Default Re: What makes a political characters chances at diplomatic success increase?

I think it's just random, sadly. Nothing to do with DEI, it's a vanilla mechanic.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: What makes a political characters chances at diplomatic success increase?

It's completely random, based on % probability depending by anything else but a dice

So even the "gifted Diplomat" unique trait you get from the dilemma to hire a character has no effect? Is this possible to mod? I've always felt like it was the most absurd part of politics and diplomacy. My Virtuous wife of the faction leader would betray me, etc.

ScipioTheGreat's Avatar Miles

Yeah the diplomat trait does help, along with ambition, gravitas, and relations. The formula was posted sometime back, but I can remember where.

Jake Armitage's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

dilemma is a dilemma and it is described into dilemma's table. I don't really think (besides get a region or change capital incidents) that there could be some script behind. You can work with dilemma/incidents options only.

@scipio: I can't understand what you 're talking about. To what (ambition, gravitas, and relations) are linked? Are you talking about the diplomatic intrigue?
    EDIT: oh, yeah, found out, it was wolphix on steam reporting this through tests:

"The success of a diplomatic outcome depends on two factors: The gravitas of your diplomat and your relations with that faction.

Betrayal is just the name of three of the negative diplomatic outcomes. It is not possible to alter the calculation method of the success chance. But I found with a Gravitas of 200-300 and relations over 100, the chance for a successful outcome is over 50%. Don't send diplomats to factions with negative relations, as the success rate will be severely lower.

Generally, the diplomatic missions are supposed to be a lucky bag, you never know what you'll get."

Also, it seems receiving a region is hardcoded:

"Hi Lars, I investigated this further by trying to implement a dilemma choice dialogue (so you can choose between getting a region or some other bonus instead) but it appears that the CRITICAL SUCCESS outcome is hardcoded. Even when I removed the land gifting incident entry completely and replaced it with an entirely diffent outcome, the settlement would still be gifted right away. Apparently the game ignores database entries in this case and has logic implemented like "Critical Success = Gift settlement".

My additional Critical Failure option "Diplomatic Scandal" probably doesn't work either, then. (or has somebody encountered it yet?)"
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; January 28, 2019 at 12:06 PM.