Thread: Passive AI

Default Passive AI

Playing as Antioch and then Nicea up to about 100 turns each campaign and I am yet to fight a field battle.(VH/VH) Only sieges thus far. It seems the AI does not want to pick a fight with me. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Fantastic mod otherwise. Can't wait for its further development.

Default Re: Passive AI

Yeah, AIs in the Europe area are very passive, nobody ever tries to take anyone out ever( all end up allying with each other, literally )...

But if you are talking about the AI picking a fight with you, I do not find this a problem, as long as you are do not have more units than the enemy, they should fight with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sokithung View Post
    Yeah, AIs in the Europe area are very passive, nobody ever tries to take anyone out ever( all end up allying with each other, literally )...

But if you are talking about the AI picking a fight with you, I do not find this a problem, as long as you are do not have more units than the enemy, they should fight with you.
    I found my campaign with Nicaea was mostly interesting at the start. The Latin Empire was very aggressive with me and caught me off guard at times.
    Fortunately I was able to win the major battle with 1 stack vs 1.5 stacks from the enemy. It was the first major battle I played so I wasn't certain if I would win.
    I certainly used the magical red line to protect my rear and forests to protect my flanks.

Other than that though, my campaign has been pretty uneventful with me always making the first move against one faction after the other.
    I started taking the smaller Greek kingdoms until I eventually turned on my Bulgarian allies, and then attacked Armenia and Trebizond.

No aggression from Trebizond, the Turks, etc. which is somewhat disappointing. The Turks got defeated quickly by Armenia and Trebizond who I had non aggression pacts with. I feel like the Turks need a boost, I did fight some battles with them as I tried to take anything I could get from them before the other factions removed them entirely - I HATE playing battles against the Seljuks with their missile cav. Definitely the most difficult opponent for me which was very realistic as the Byzantines.

Now I also played a few turns with Kiev and that was a totally different story. Serbia and Hungary allied together and were literally storming the map. Combined about 2.5 maybe 3 stacks just taking one city after another. They declared war on me also to my shock... and I simply didn't have the ability to stop them. I call that a lost campaign and will need to try that again.

I'm not disappointed either because that is really awesome to see the AI play aggressive like that.

One thing I do like about this mod is how important diplomacy has become. Non Aggression pacts are really crucial here.

Another amazing thing happened on my first play test with Nicaea is after defeating the Latin Empire in pitched battle + killing most of the Garrison at Constantinople. I then took the city, reformed the Byzantine Empire... the Latins only had one city left and they requested peace treaty and to be my vassal! This was incredible. It made the battle feel much more crucial to see an opponent come to terms like that which is most likely what would happen in real life. I get bored of constantly having to always kill factions down to the last man/town. Sadly this didn't happen on my next play through. I'd love to see more of this.

I know we're probably quite limited in Atilla but seeing defeated opponents come to the table before you wipe out every settlement really adds a lot. I wish this was more common in general for all TW games.

I'm wondering if maybe the Muslim factions in general need a campaign boost. I'm using a 4 TPY mod and I don't remember I'm around 1240sh. It looks like the Crusader States along with the Italian states have utterly crushed the majority of Muslim held cities in the Levant and North Africa. I'm not sure if this is just how the campaign played out this time but are other players seeing this also?

Hello everyone, first of all thank you for this mod, it is really good but it has just need bug fix patch. I played 2 campaign with Seljuks in legendary difficulty(more than 100 turns in both). I aggree with what he said about muslim factions need positive boost. In my both campaign, north africa is taken by spanish kingdoms ( and they even don't fight each other, they just attack the muslim factions, that's all. ) Moreover, all of the Catholics factions(england, france, hre, hungary etc.) are becoming ally, and they are very passive in game. They don't fight each other, they just attack the muslim countries. In addition, it is really hard to play with Seljuks because of public order issue. I built many positive public order buildings, but there is no way to make public order green unless I put army in my every city. I believe, public order issue must be fixed, it can't be play like this.( As a suggestion, you can increase the effect of religious buildings for muslim countries so it will help for public order issue. ) What's more, Khwarezm Empire beats their enemies all the time. I believe, you should reduce their power. When I play more with other countries, I will give more feedbacks about campaign.

Yes, im 120 turns in as Wallchalia or whatever its called....not a single faction has ever declared war on me, or attacked me if im at war with them, yet just about everyone north of Africa will Trade,ally, or be happy with me. Its quite a far cry from the DEI mod for R2 i've been used to, its just to easy.

Bran Mac Born's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yes, for me this is the biggest issue, even with the current build state. On my second campaign as the nubians (forget the name), im 134 turns in (i play 4tpy), instantly, every islam faction traded with me, creating the biggest bank balance and income ive ever had in a tw game (and i've been playing since the first), i litterly cant spend it!!, ever Islam faction became my best friend, and no, repeat NO faction anywhere either declares war on me or indeed goes to war with me when i declare against them. It really is making for the easiest TW games i've ever played, you can literally walk around the map as you like.

Edit: just noticed above link.....You sir are a hero amongst Gods....thanks!
    Last edited by Poacher886; January 18, 2020 at 03:44 AM.

Semisalis

On legendary factions are extremely aggressive with war declarations. Even factions with pathetic military and no ability to attack me will declare war for no reason, sometimes from across the world. But most factions still do not field a strong military at all. Some however are totally off the chain, like HRE here making this magnificent wall of bodies to protect their city. Even when the AI fields 7+ armies they are still timid with their military. With 7 armies HRE won't attack me, they just sit back on defense.

A large part of this passivity is because city garrisons in 1212 are much too strong. It is impossible for the AI to take a city with a full stack, it needs at least 2. The AI knows this and rarely ever attacks a city. With the barracks building that adds more units to the garrison a city becomes impossible to attack for the AI, and the AI constructs this frequently. At this point the AI seems to see no options for offense so it just stops doing anything and sits on its cities with its armies.

Passive AI? To Christian factions maybe. Just try, Sultanate of Rome, Khwarezmians, Cuman-Kipchaks and you'll get tired of war and rebellions, they never end. Muslim factions as a whole and Cuman-Kipchaks need a massive boost for sure. Even Ayyubids -so-called the strongest faction- is struggling to deal with Georgians. Cumans supposed to be 2nd strongest at the start of game and believe me they are one of most terribly weak factions out there. Everyone hates you and declare war. Just in last campaign, Atil Bulgars(we were trading), Shirvans(trading as well), Alans(again trading), Hungary, a Russian principality declared war on me out of nowhere. Playing with Muslim/Turkic factions is so hard.
    A friend advises in his interest, not yours.