Thread: Units become partly black or invisible from farther distances in battle....

Default Units become partly black or invisible from farther distances in battle....

Hello,

As my title says when I start to zoom out on units I have made parts become invisible. More specifically it are ussually the areas of a face (of the 3d model) close to the edges. I have this problem a lot on the heads/helms, back of the unit and the shield and I simply can't seem to fix it! Some of my units also have problems with some parts being black but that is probably because of sharp edges.

To make my problem a bit more clear here are a few pictures to demonstrate:

- On the left you can basically see partly trough the hats of the gnomes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d7jbcg7jw1...isble.PNG?dl=0
    - The gnomes in the distance suddenly have cross on the shield that is invisible, maybe a bit hard to see: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nwl89xtgwp...hield.PNG?dl=0
    - The top of the Icyene's head (a winged humanoid creature in Runescape) is black: https://www.dropbox.com/s/emnqxfzccn...0head.PNG?dl=0

If you want the 3ds max/cas and dds files to look at, let me know because this is a big problem for me that half of my units suffer from.

Kind regards,

KurdishNomad

Default Re: Units become partly black or invisible from farther distances in battle....

I think that is related with sprites and how much far sprite appear...

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

Default Re: Units become partly black or invisible from farther distances in battle....

I had a conversation with KurdishNomad somewhere on discord and think at least part of his problem was the mip-maps from the dds textures. Basically don't put black background or alpha'd out background close around the mapped area, or when things get blended down on the reduction to the smaller mip-maps you'll start to see some of those background bits (or not see them in the case of alphas!).

I didnīt generate the sprites on my mod yet and I canīt give an accurate answer, but generating the sprites of RTRA III vegetation I saw that the game produce TGA files with propper alpha channel. This TGA file became in black after you run the game (related with high resolution options) if you donīt became these files on DDS files. I guess that you know this but I think that is the most common mistake when you generate sprites for first time. I donīt know if you are meaning the same or similar thing but Iīm glad that you have solutions about that.

ROME TOTAL REALISM ANABASIS FORUM: HERE

The problem has already been fixed. As Makanye said, the problem was the smaller mipmaps where I had an alpha background. Simply extending the texture fixed it for me.