Thread: Changing names in localisation.loc crashes the game

Default Changing names in localisation.loc crashes the game

Hello,
    I have created a mod to change some of the faction and region names on the campaign map.
    But every time it crashes the game on startup. Other mods I made work fine (flag changes). I used the same approach for renaming stuff in NTW and it worked fine.

My steps (using Pack File Manager)
    1.) Open local_en.pack
    2.) Extract localisation.loc
    3.) Create ''New'' in PFM
    4.) Add directory of the extracted localisation.loc
    5.) Change names where needed, e.g. factions_screen_name_knights_stjohn = The Order
    6.) Change the mod type to ''Movie''
    7.) Save the .pack as ''Namesmod.pack''
    8.) Put the mod into data folder

And the game crashes every time on the first screen

Things I have tried so far:
    Editing the local_en.pack, uncheck CA packs read only, change names, save as ''release'' pack, overwrite the one in data folder
    - game loads fine, but there is no change anywhere
    Saving the mod as ''Mod'' type
    - game loads fine, but there is no change anywhere
    Using the script file to put a record of the mod to load
    - either a crash or no change

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

Default Re: Changing names in localisation.loc crashes the game

I have the very same problem. There has to be someone who can help...

Hello Vavrinko,
    I have found a solution after all. For some reason not all of the PFMs work properly (do not create working mod packs).
    I discovered this by accident when I tried to make the same mod for Napoleon.
    The PFM version that worked is 1.4.5 for me (this one created a .pack file that didn't crash the game and all translations were there)

That might not be the same case for you. I suggest you create your .pack file with the modified loc and open / make new packs using different PFMs to see which works.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by lol4 View Post
    Hello Vavrinko,
    I have found a solution after all. For some reason not all of the PFMs work properly (do not create working mod packs).
    The PFM version that worked is 1.4.5 for me (this one created a .pack file that didn't crash the game and all translations were there)

That might not be the same case for you. I suggest you create your .pack file with the modified loc and open / make new packs using different PFMs to see which works.
    While PFM 1.4.5 works for you why not use PFM 1.5.9 that should work for both ETW and NTW.

https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...1#post15881366

I also recommend using HusserlTW's EasyLoc tool. If you need to use another tool or read a tutorial here is HusserlTW's modding work.

Always check the modding index for other resources, tools, and tutorials.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by lol4 View Post
    Hello Vavrinko,

Why haven't I thought of that...? It is the same for ESF editor, the newer ones don't work on ETW and NTW. I will try it out as soon as I get to my pc.
    Thanks, friend. Not many people would bother responding after finding the answer themselves. You rock!

I did not find the 1.4.5 for download. The 1.5.9 strangely did not work.
    Any link for the 1.4.5?

Hi Vavrinko,
    You can find all the tools and versions here:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/etw-mod-tools/files/

And sorry I made a mistake, the 1.4.5 is for ESF. PFM is 1.12 that worked for me

Thanks again, friend.
    This one had finally worked.

PFM 5.2.4 and/or rusted PFM works very well, no issues.

I don't have a crashing issue with my .loc file. I just have one that doesn't seem to change anything I change. I notice ingame prefixes are eg 'British Line Infantry' but in the .loc the unit name is 'Line Infantry' does this mean there is a different overriding file somewhere I need to edit?

Cheers

I put 'British line infantry' and some other euro countries as they have there own and the rest have the 'standard line infantry'. I was creating 13th colony to be independence since 1700 and there was 2 of most units the same. ie. 'British line infantry' and 'standard line infantry'. Prior to renaming all i could see was 'line infantry' thus by adding names of countries, i could avoid duplications in recruitment.

There no crashes at all. Remember only one loc file allowed.