Thread: FATW Overhaul Submod, v1.98 released and live on ModDB!

Default FATW Overhaul Submod, v1.98 released and live on ModDB!

Description:
    This has been a personal project of mine which started off how modding usually does: with minor tweaks, which have since snowballed into a near-total overhaul of the mod. I've been working on and updating it for a while, mainly on the FATW Discord, under the title of Majestic Steerve's Submod. The submod has a massive amount of content but a good word to summarize it might be "loud". It's geared towards a slightly more lenient economy and bigger (huge-sized) battles, tonnes of new units and faction options, and every faction being at least somewhat competitive if you can survive long enough to recruit endgame units. One might consider it a halfway point between base Rome Total War and FATW 3.4. That said, I'd like to think it's stuck to the tone and spirit of the original mod fairly closely. Changes to the submod going forward are increasingly few, though I have a few ideas of fun things to do with Wainriders assets when that eventually comes out.

Features:
    -More than 80 new units spread across almost all factions, a mix of reskins (some simple, some hard to spot) and new models
    -A larger number of factions now are able to change alignment through cultural buildings, and alignment swapping now always entails unique recruit options. Factions affected include Rhovanion, Harondor, Tharbad, and Khand
    -A completely new faction with a full-sized roster: the Freehold of Eriador, repurposed from the dormant Shire faction. This faction is comprised of middle-men (and a few Hobbit allies) who want Eriador as an autonomous nation. They begin allied with the Reunited Kingdom and on poor terms with Adunabar, but loyalties are bound to shift as the campaign marches on
    -Castles: Any fort which lacks orc recruitment options can be upgraded by select factions, unlocking new construction options, expanded recruitment, and specialty buildings
    -A much more robust mercenary system, including larger pools, several elite regional mercs, and more forts in which to retrain them
    -Expanded build trees, including more readily available ports, new levels of farm and roads, and Specialty Buildings for all factions (Credit goes to Athanaric / Imrazor for the original framework)
    -150 new ancillaries, which may be culture- or faction-unique, ranging from common to legendary (single-drop per campaign)
    -Expansions to the campaign map: 10 new provinces including both forts and cities. Most notably, more land to fight over in Eriador
    -A new mechanic in the form of "Ruins", provinces which are abandoned or non-functional at campaign start; human factions stationing an Energetic and Intelligent governor there will spur population growth and allow the city to be rebuilt. Orodengrin can uniquely be rebuilt by the Dwarves, and Gundabad can be restored if you bring a noble who's a member of Durin's line to govern the region
    -A series of expansion rewards; numerous factions, mostly those considered "minor" in the base mod, have conditions listed in their faction info building, which will spawn a unique building in the capital, offering new recruit options and ancillaries, as well as faction-wide bonuses
    -All cultures gain a fourth-tier cultural building, now only available in Chief Cities. Alliances with certain factions may lead to greater sway on the alignment of your faction's nobles, and less staunchly devoted lords can be converted at opposite cultural buildings
    -Those who know where to look can recover lost Palantir, which can subsequently be taken back to their home cities (Minas Anor, for the Osgiliath Stone) to be enshrined, giving faction-wide bonuses, unique recruitment options in Eriador, and which allow the ancillary to drop more than once per campaign
    -New loading screens and soundtrack

Previews:

New Elven Retainer riders
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sun Wardens, unlocked by completing Far Harad's expansion goals

Knights of the Stag, Eriador's expansion unit

Abrazânêth Spears, a new Cultic infantry for Harad

Tharbad's new expansion building and unit (Ignore the typo in the unit description; it's an old screenshot )

Pride of Khamul, a unique rider for if Khand converts to the Shadow Cult

ModDB Page:
    https://www.moddb.com/mods/majestic-...-age-total-war

Alt Download:
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/tjopw...v1.98.rar/file

Installation:
    The download is an entirely self-contained folder; just replace or rename your existing FATW folder with the one inside. DO NOT OVERWRITE your old 3.4 installation. I don't know why it makes a difference, but overwriting introduces a bunch of crashes. I've also included a 4GB LAA patch for anyone experiencing lag or crashes, and installation instructions.

Feedback is always welcome: hop by the FATW Discord channel ( https://discordapp.com/channels/4212...14023074316289 ) where I am eminently more active and comment on my thread if you find something off or that needs work. At the moment I feel like something's missing from Eriador, so it'd be great if someone could tell me what it is.

Credits:
    -Aradan and the FATW team for the base mod
    -Athanaric for the specialty building framework
    -Chutlu Follower on Discord for teaching me basic reskins and allowing me to go insane with power
    -Dudeguyman on the Discord for helping me figure out how to swap weapons and shields on models, as well as some UI work
    -The LOTRTW team and CapnDan for a handful of new units + some scripting coaching
    -End of Days for the new King's Men model and texture
    -Sae from Nation, Empire, War for letting me use the variant stone wall model
    -Arthurian Total War / Scandza Total War for the Orchynd model
    -Lanjane and the XC5 team for some coding coaching and a handful of models, resp
    -Adrian von Ziegler for several of the new soundtrack additions
    -Ted Nasmith for a lot of loading screens
    -TESTW for the new castle strat map model
    Last edited by DontHeckWithSnek; December 30, 2022 at 08:36 PM. Reason: 1.98 update; see changelog in download

Default Re: FATW Overhaul Submod v1.91

Awesome! A definitive thread for your submods link.
    Fall of the Republic & Rise of the Empire: https://www.twcenter.net/forums/show...FRRE-mod-links

Default Re: FATW Overhaul Submod v1.93

Hey folks. V1.93 is up. It includes mostly economic and population tweaks, several new specialty building options, a few fixed recruit lines and UI tweaks, and most importantly, a second Dominion building option in Fiefdoms and Outlands, which allows you to spend tonnes of money on construction in order to have it go much faster. Full list of changes is in the download. Enjoy.

Marku's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: FATW Overhaul Submod v1.95

Download link and the discord link are not working

"It's not always possible to do what we want to do, but it's important to believe in something before you actually do it"

Download link should be working now, hopefully. TWC has this odd tendency to keep old hyperlinks when you paste over with a new address

I am here to say I am impressed with what you did with Tharbad. They're exactly what I wanted with the idea of mixed Dunedain and Middle Men heritage.

Default Re: FATW Overhaul Submod, v1.96 released!

Version 1.96 is up:

-Three new units for Ways of the West Dunedain (at King's Court in castles or chief cities for RK/Adunabar, or in Umbar)
    -Thrall Stockades unlocked for Dunland; building Stockades as any faction will now allow you to construct buildings you normally couldn't (paved roads, 2nd tier ports)
    -New specialty building unique to Tharbad
    -More conditions through which having a noble spend time in the same settlement with the king can make them become friends (or enemies!)
    -Disinheriting a character will make them dislike the king, potentially permanently!
    -Ruins which are in the process of rebuilding will hit their population threshold sooner, and building will construct faster, in order to improve the provinces overall usefulness
    -UI and stability fixes to reduce end of turn crashes or weird AI behaviour
    -Added roads to 2 locations at campaign start to avoid the road system looking like garbage

Most in need of feedback on the new king friendship system (is it too lenient, still too inaccessible?) and whether or not AI using orc forts go out of control with power (made it incredibly difficult if not impossible for AI to ever depopulate orc forts, so they will be fielding huge numbers of orcs unless the forts are sacked)
    Last edited by DontHeckWithSnek; December 03, 2022 at 10:15 AM.