Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alexander: Making of a God

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Default Re: Alexander: Making of a God

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    There was no phalanx in this show at all. None.
    Somehow I'm not surprised, since it is Netflix we're talking about, but it's just astonishing that they would give such a crap about costume authenticity and production values for otherwise flawed shows like Barbarians and Marco Polo, and then do something like this. Unsurprising, but astonishing nonetheless. A Macedonian army without a phalanx during the reign of Alexander is like a show about the Vietnam War but without M-16s or Huey helicopters used by US forces, and instead they use muskets. LOL.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Somehow I'm not surprised, since it is Netflix we're talking about, but it's just astonishing that they would give such a crap about costume authenticity and production values for otherwise flawed shows like Barbarians and Marco Polo, and then do something like this. Unsurprising, but astonishing nonetheless. A Macedonian army without a phalanx during the reign of Alexander is like a show about the Vietnam War but without M-16s or Huey helicopters used by US forces, and instead they use muskets. LOL.
    Just to annoying they could set a show in Nam a bit early and use M-14 (pre 67)
    Last edited by conon394; March 05, 2024 at 03:13 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

The biggest mistake people make is to think that Netflix is a production company. It's not. Most shows are produced and directed by individual production companies with little input or control from Netflix. Hence, the criticism falls on empty waters.
    The Armenian Issue

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

You could say that they only buy and distribute. But it would be interesting to talk about the Netflixification of series and movies. People making products that can be attractive/to the platform.

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Alexander: the Making of a Dud

Seriously, Philip II of Macedon without an eyepatch at the time of his death is like making a movie about the Olympic sprinter Usain Bolt being a guy in a wheelchair race. It would have cost them $5 to buy/make a crappy eyepatch and put it over his face to highlight his (partially debilitating) war wound.

Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    The biggest mistake people make is to think that Netflix is a production company. It's not. Most shows are produced and directed by individual production companies with little input or control from Netflix. Hence, the criticism falls on empty waters.
    If Netflix wants to slap their name over the product then they get to own it and I get to label it as such. As far as I'm concerned, they are Netflix movies.

Also, Netflix literally funds various projects and kills them at their own discretion (Marco Polo, Daredevil, etc.) in a strongly conjoined client-servicer relationship, in which case they might as well be the literal production company because they pull all the strings.

You're right about one thing, though, the criticism does fall on deaf ears, because they are crying all the way to the bank most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    You could say that they only buy and distribute. But it would be interesting to talk about the Netflixification of series and movies. People making products that can be attractive/to the platform.
    That's definitely the Adam Sandler model for the past decade.

If Netflix wants to slap their name over the product then they get to own it and I get to label it as such. As far as I'm concerned, they are Netflix movies.
    Also, Netflix literally funds various projects and kills them at their own discretion (Marco Polo, Daredevil, etc.) in a strongly conjoined client-servicer relationship, in which case they might as well be the literal production company because they pull all the strings.
    You're right about one thing, though, the criticism does fall on deaf ears, because they are crying all the way to the bank most of the time.
    This is akin to the discussion we had on buying a game. They don't exactly own it. Some they do produce (doesn't seem to be the case with this one) and some they merely have exclusive distribution rights to for a set period of time in a set group of countries. Marco Polo was produced by The Weinstein Company (yep, that Weinstein). It was initially made for Starz but later switched to Netflix for the exclusive rights to stream it. It was cancelled because it was too costly. If Apple+ approached The Weinstein Company with a check it would likely continue there. Often, cancelling means the streamer no longer wants to pay for new episodes. It's not as straight-forward some would like it to be.
    The Armenian Issue

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by RyanCrabtree View Post
    Alexander III was a great king no doubt. During his reign lots of king defeated by him. He was great of all time.

He was a great conquer and warlord not so sure you tap him as an actual great king.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

You are making him sound like Genghis Khan. Alexander became a mythical hero in many different countries - that doesn't happen if you simply killed and conquered them (imagine the mongols being heroes in Europe).
    He wanted a hellenistic empire, not just bleed the subjects dry and return all wealth back home.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123