Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Superior Troops Modification v2.2

Default Re: Realistic & Superior Missile Troops Mod 1.09

that last post about makin longbow archers take longer to train sounds great. gonna hold of startin a SS campaign till tomorrow night, any chance of this mini mod bein updated by then?

After reading this topic I decided to modify Otherworld Edu.
    1st I changed it to reflect the latest Rc realase candidate.
    Then I changed all Javelin primary atack to 20, reduced the ammo to 4
    All crossbows primary atack to 40, range to 100 and ammo to 15
    All arrows to 30, range to 120 and ammo to 10
    All bodkin arrows to 35, range to 234 and ammo to 5!!!
    All cav composite arrow to 30, range to 120, ammo t0 10
    All composite arrow to 30, range to 160, ammo to 10
    All firearms to 50, Rc range and ammo to 10
    Adapted that Edu to reflect the changes made by You on projectil.txt (peasant arrows, fire voley of firearms).
    Increased all Armmor primary defense by 2 to all heavy units.
    So I think I manage to get the best of rc and yours.

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Tondedog

I will not update before the SS. 4 comes out, so you can just start your campaign.
    Sorry!

By that time I would have to rework all the files again, changing it to the settings I want. (No offence to KK's work with this VERY wonderful mod).

I have gotten an idea, I want to try out. After the SS. 4 this will no longer just be the Realistic and Superior missile troops mod.
    My thought is to increase ALL units training time, cost and upkeep. Missile units will still take longer time to create, they really need to train from their early days before going to battle.
    That way (I hope) to have fewer troops on the campaign map. It would take time to train troops, the better, the longer!
    When it is more expensive to have units in reserve, there will be limited men to defend. This is realistic enough I think, many soldiers still had their farms and famillies to think about and couldnt just go to war like that.
    The longer training time will show that if you want troops you got to think in forward, and follow your enemies closely how their upgrade their armies! It would be something of a cold war, a weapon race, when enemies arm up, it is safest to also start arming up.
    The bigger cost is bound together with the longer training time.
    And the bigger upkeep is simply to make your soldiers serious. They need to be taken care of, and that costs.
    Finally I hope that this would give people a chance to start caring for their troops, as they are more expensive and takes longer time to create.
    Mercenaries and milias should though still be very easy to produce... But mercenaries would still be more expensive.
    This also gives you an idea of planning. It is expensive to raise war, so it is important to think how you will handle out the war, or else there are consequences.
    It will also give the light armoured and not so fancy troops a chance in the later part of the game, as they are cheaper and faster to produce.
    I simply think it is stupid to have like 200 kinds of troops, and all takes the same time to create.

My only doubt is that it would might be difficult in the early game period as you still have to take some rebel settlements and have limited income.
    But that is why I will test it myself, see if it possible to still "beginning the game".
    So, that is the plan after the SS. 4 release.
    The "Superior Troops Mod" will be born, and look something like the above, still with the changes from this mod.
    So, I hope that this will interest someone, or else... Well, then I hope that you at least have had fun using this mod, cause after SS. 4 it will not look like this anymore.
    Under the Patronage of deRougemont.
    Belonging to the House of Wilpuri.

sounds good mate anything that makes the game more realistic and challenging is fine by me

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

You know what...
    I have change my mind, and I am already in the middle of the rework.
    It takes some time, I have only made 1/5 of it this far, and after I have made it I am gonna test it-
    And then I will make the update. It could be tonight but most likely it will be tomorrow, if everything works and the testing is good.
    I also make the heatsystem more effective, meaning that heavy armoured troops suffer a penanly when they fight in the heat.
    When the SS 4 then comes out I will have to check with King Kong on what he have changed in the files I also am working with so none of his changes goes lost... Then I can just add his changes to mine, instead of rewriting this all over again!

congrats vidahl!! i see you have earned yourself a Citizen

+rep for me if you agree with me , i might give it right back to you

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Superior Troops Modification v2.0

Ladies and Gentlemen...

A new revolution is over us. As the old things around us vanish and disapears into the foggy past, new and hopefully better things grow up and take their places.

The old mod is now history and I am glad to introduce you to my latest work,
    "Superior Troops Mod"

This is a challenge, both for the strategic general and economically rulers.
    Try it out if you dare, you might end up liking it!

oh ya, vidahl, i want to give one suggestion. It shouldn't be possible to kill units with 1 shot when they are wearing plate armor. Don't you agree?

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Mike13531 View Post
    oh ya, vidahl, i want to give one suggestion. It shouldn't be possible to kill units with 1 shot when they are wearing plate armor. Don't you agree?
    That will depend what you shoot him with!
    A trebuchet shot would most likely not ricoshe on the plate armour!

But seriously, no I actually dont agree...
    Many could not afford the expensive armour, so a huge amount of heavy armoured troops would be wearing a poor and cheap armour. Expesially as we go up in time, and the armour gets better and better, fewer and fewer can actually afford them.

And then we havent even reached the possibily that the arrow could strike a non defended area on the armour. Cause in every armour there are weak points, and small openings, as well as the face area. These archers could hit whatever they wanted to, they researched, were educated and knew how to make a knight fall.
    I agree that the chances are smaller when you hit a heavier armoured guy, but you will still have a chance of killing him!

And as long as the shield defence doesnt work, I cant do much about it!
    If shield defence actually worked, we could decrease the arrow damage on heavier armoured troops!

lol, i see. Your decision i guess, since your the creator

trying it now

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Superior Troops Modification v2.0 (Real version)

I realised that the enemy usually get into financial problems very early, so I have restored the upkeep costings, except for mercenaries and peasants.

This should be a little more stabile, but I still havent tried it for a longer period, so these trouple I have meet is only happening in my own minor testings.

The new version is called the Real Version.

Hey Vindahl I'm downloading now,looks great, and I have a suggestion. For the "professional" units in the game, you know how in the faction descriptions some countries like England,Spain etc have professional units, aka retinue longbowmen, tercio pikemen etc., perhaps make those "professionals" easier to maintain over time because they are pros and aren't really dependent on their farms for income, they're dependent on fighting for income. On the other hand maybe make unprofessionals like Gothic Knights or other unprofessionals harder to maintain over time.

EDIT P.S. I just downloaded the real version and put it, the "STM_2[1].0_Real.rar", straight into SS/Data folder and it seems like nothing changed in the campaign could someone help me, remeber I am a newb so please be clear with your advice.
    Last edited by Hounf of Culan; July 10, 2007 at 12:06 AM.
    "Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam." -Hannibal Barca
    http://[IMG]http://img52.imageshack.....png[/IMG]

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Hmm, I had a plan almost similar in mind, good points...

The easiest thing is to place the rar_file on the desktop or something and then unpack the files.
    Then take copy those files and overwrite the files similar in the Stainless Steel/data folder.
    See if that fix your troubles...

Yeah I put it on the desktop but theres no unpack/unzip option, I'm stumped, I even downloaded it again.

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Well, without Winrar you cant open the files...
    I have placed the files on the first post, ready to download, as I used to do it with the older versions.

BTW.
    I have already a GREAT pikefix ready in the next version.
    So, if anybody would please give some feedback if anything should be changed. (Upkeep, costs, trainging time or something else) that would be great.

Currently...

I have given all infantry a training time of 2 turns.
    Except-- The militia units, the peasant units and the mercenaries, who still are made in 1 turn...

Light cavalry is created in 2 turns, heavier cavalry is created in 3, generals in 4. This is because they beside fighting, also need to train in horseriding, lance use and more difficult formations.
    Generals also need some strategic and tactical training, so they take some time to create.

All missileunits take 3 turns to create. Longbows take 4.
    This is because archers need to train a long time before getting those skills they have in my mod, as well as in reality. Archers trained from childhood!

Small ships still take 1 turn to create, bigger takes 2!

The Siegeweapons varies from 1 to 4 turns to create. With balllistas as some as the easy ones, and the monster bombard as one as the hardcores.
    This is because beside building these great weapons, the crew must also learn to use them properly, it takes time also...

---

All prices for these units have been doubled or tribled, according to how long they take to being created.
    Peasants and mercenaries have raised upkeep. The Mercs is to give them a disadvantage, they didnt fought for their lords for free! And peasants, because they are peasants, and are drawn away from their farms and work.
    Though, it is not THAT high an upkeep for the peasants, it is just raised.

All this give some new gameplay, primary, the enemies dont swarm with 10 armies outside their settlements, they seem to be more balanced somehow.
    But I leave that to you to deside...

Let me know what should be fixed or changed...

thanks for the help Vindahl.

Vindahl's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Superior Troops Modification v2.1

I have made a new version with the pikeman fix, as well with some other smaller changes.
    I will leave tomorrow, so I dont have more time to test it, and I will leave that up to you!
    Hopefully, you will enjoy this small mod, enjoy...

Downloading now, I like the way you changed recruitment costs, it kinda reminds me of EB for RTW.

Vindahl we should expect an update on you soon, correct?