Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EB July Map and Features Preview

Default EB July Map and Features Preview

Greetings Europa Barbarorum fans.

Work is as always being done on EB and it's time to show a few of the things we've been getting ready for the mod.

Thanks goes out to Uranos, Stefan25, Tellos Athenaios, O'TAIPOS, Anallein, tk-421, and many others for helping out with these various elements of the mod. Thanks for sticking it out too guys!
    And a great thanks to Teleklos Archelaou for putting together this preview.

The Map: Uranos has been working on putting the finishing touches on our map. These last changes will be the final ones for EB on RTW (outside of possible tweaks with roads or such). This map highlights the new changes (which includes two entire province changes, new rivers, some cities moved, some province and city name changes, etc.):

Here is the map without the changes highlighted, in the basic "Antique" Map format:

EB Disasters: Thanks to renewed work on disasters in RTW in general, both on TWC and ORG modding fora, we have been able to get more of them working in our current build. We had a number of discussions on how to maximize them while still keeping them realistic, and locations were researched and discussed for many of the disasters we are implementing now. Unfortunately Storms are still totally broken in RTW and will not be included, but we have Epidemic Diseases, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, and optional Floods. Even better than just having them, most of the work done on them has been in restricting them to the areas they had the most effect. Here are maps describing those areas:

Map showing Increased EB Chances for Epidemic Disease (Outbreaks) Arriving via Trade/Grain Shipments (one somewhere on the map roughly every two years, intensity ranges from 2-7)

Map showing Possible EB Earthquake Epicenters (one somewhere on the map roughly every three years, intensity ranges from 2-10)

Map showing EB Volcanoes (black cores indicate dormant/extinct, but still major/massive stratovolcanoes; red active volcanoes include those stratovolcanoes or large lava fields that have caused destruction/death in historical times)

Map showing EB Flood Prone Locations (*if* activated - they do not come activated in regular build, but are commented out - and also a backup file with them will be included - one somewhere on the map roughly every two years, intensity ranges from 5-8; problems with flooded territories may be resolved by deleting map.rwm and restarting a campaign)

Strat Map Textures: Stefan25 took a few days off from his unit-creation tasks to work on tweaking our strategy/campaign map textures. As you'll see from these screenshots, he made changes in the water, shorelines, sky, and ground textures. It makes a big impact when you load up your first game with them, and we are very pleased with the way they turned out. The grasses are much more vivid, the clouds feel more real, and the water is a lot deeper.

(Thanks Tellos Athenaios for the screenshots!)

Pahlava Changes: One of the biggest changes we have implemented for the next release involves the Pahlava (Parthian) faction. They are still in the Eastern culture group, but they begin as much more of a nomadic faction now, reflecting more accurately their situation in 272 BC. As the expand into the lands formerly occupied by the Persian and Hellenic empires across the Iranian Plateau and into Mesopotamia, they will have the ability, if pastoralism is chosen as their lifestyle in those provinces, to build a "reformed pastoralism" that will lead to advanced herds and settlements and then to individual provinces "reforms" that allow many additional buildings to be constructed and stop unit recruitment from the camps and herds and transfers it to the regular MIC's (which by that point will be cheaper and faster to build than they regularly are). The new parts of the nomad system, that only work for the Pahlava, are shown with dark grey backgrounds here:

The Locations where it is possible to build "Parthian Reformed Governments":

And to refresh your memory, here are the Nomad and Mixed Hidden Resource Locations (Nomad=Red, Mixed=Green)
    (Nomad or Mixed allows "Nomadism")
    (Mixed or None allows "Pastoralism")
    (None allows "Nomad Allied Government")

And by the way, anyone recognize this pretty face? No cheating or asking O'ETAIPOS! :grin:

New Pahlava Buildings: Not only do they get a new and unique system, but the Pahlava also have a number of new building levels for their reformed cities.

Once you have built your nomadic villages into cities, you can then upgrade your simple sewers into Cisterns:

And if your city grows even larger, you can upgrade the regular Cisterns into a Cistern System that is cooled by Badghirs, or wind towers:

And you can even upgrade your simple Game Field into a proper Zurkaneh, or a type of traditional Persian wrestling and exercising school:

There are even more, but the proper graphics are only in the newest internal build, so they aren't shown here. Hope this glimpse gives you enough reason to upgrade those Parthian cities!

Fog of War Revealed
    : While we have been working on using spies and scripts to reveal the location of important cities (depending upon which faction the human player starts the game playing) that would have been known to each faction, we have had trouble because all spies were placed in the descr_strat.txt file and therefor many spaces were occupied to start each game. But Anallein realized we could use movement scripts to take one spy for each faction around the world, so to speak, before the game even starts. Then he can be killed off by scripts (sorry!). This way, if you are the Epeirotes, you start the campaign knowing of these places/cities:

Or if you are the Aedui, you start the campaign knowing of these places/cities:

Or if you are the Saka Rauka, you start the campaign knowing of these places/cities:

You get the drift now, hopefully.:grin: Thanks to tk-421 for helping out with this and fixing some of the last problems we have had with it, but now they work so much more easily and we have them for almost all factions.

Border Trade Resources: Did you ever get irritated because your provinces on the edge of the map were not helping you financially enough? The map only goes so far and even if there was light, moderate, or heavy trade going on off the edge of the map there is not much you can do about it, right? Well, we now have indestructible buildings in certain provinces on the map's edge that will help those provinces when it comes to trade. Provinces in India are most affected, but also those on the northeast corner of the map and on the east and west coasts of Africa.

Here is an example of one in the Saka Rauka lands - note the region specific description and "level" of bonuses as well:

Here is one on the Red Sea at a Ptolemaic port, with its own description and level of bonuses also:

There are more, but the rest look similar to these. We hope it will provide a more realistic trade system.

=======================================================

We hope you have enjoyed this preview of some of the EB content.
    Please note that unless stated otherwise, ALL pictures, names, and descriptions shown in our previews are works in progress. We continue to improve on all parts of EB, and we will continue to do so long after our initial release.
    Since some areas where these news items are posted cannot handle wide images, we appreciate your restraint from quoting full-size images.
    As always, if you have questions or comments, the best place to post them is here, where the EB team is most active:

Europa Barbarorum ORG forum

Europa Barbarorum TWC forum

You can find our website (temporarily) at www.europabarbarorum.org. Our download links are found there also. www.europabarbarorum.com will also be back up very soon.

We give special thanks to Imageshack that provides us with a simple, foolproof, and free way to show you all these pictures each week.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

The Europa Barbarorum team.
    Last edited by Teleklos Archelaou; July 18, 2007 at 11:27 PM.

WImPyTjeH's Avatar Wimpy of the Sore Ass

Default Re: Eb July Preview :: Map

Cool Awaiting the next release with much expectations

W

hooahguy14's Avatar Ducenarius

Default Re: Eb July Preview :: Map

all can say is:
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: A Rome II Suebi AAR
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

megaflus's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: EB July Map and Features Preview

awsome

Zenith Darksea's Avatar Ορθοδοξία ή θάνατος!

This is all absolutely wonderful, and I can't wait for the next version.

Just make sure that you get unit recruitment sorted out!

MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar Domesticus
    Citizen

Unit recruitment is definately going to be a whole lot better in the next release. Thanks to Arkatreides and his maps, many of the errors have been adressed and fixed.

Hi EB team,

WOW..................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your labor of love!

hellas1

The Black Reaper's Avatar Hell's Gate

wow i love those new sea and shore textures, just beautiful!

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.0 GHz | CPU Cooling: Coolermaster Hyper 212 + | Mobo: Asus m4a79xtd evo
    Ram: Corsair XMS3 2x4GB DDR3 1333 MHz | PSU: Antec Truepower 650W | GPU: Evga Geforce GTX 580

Under the Patronage of the Honorable Nicholas Rush

Quote Originally Posted by Count Flip View Post
    wow i love those new sea and shore textures, just beautiful!
    Those are the only new features I have my doubts about. I'm certain that's only because I'm not used to them. Overall: superb! I sat back and enjoyed the show with my browser on full-screen, that's for sure! Also, my first campaign with the new release will undoubtedly be a Pahlava campaign!
    "Tempus edax rerum." Ovid, Metamorphoses
    Under the patronage of Virgil.

Indefinitely Banned

Nice preview guys. EB continues to astound! I guess I've "whored" around a bit when it comes to gaming and mods but I've not come across a better set-up than EB. To paraphrase the old advert "Probably the best mod for the best game in the world"

It's weird, but I've been belly-aching lately about "too much reality" and "too much micro-management" in a Med 2 mod, and yet when I consider it, I've been living quite happily with more or less exactly the same features and far more complexity and depth with EB, ever since it came out.

So you guys must be doing something right! :laughing:

Sidus Preclarum's Avatar Honnête Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader View Post
    And by the way, anyone recognize this pretty face? No cheating or asking O'ETAIPOS! :grin:
    [CENTER]

Arsaces I

great preview!

I was a bit disappointed in the map...
    I was hoping to see some cities in north africa and sicily.

Zaknafien's Avatar Tiro
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Uh, perhaps you did not notice the new city in North Africa?

And why would we place even more cities in Sicily at the expense of other regions?

Rome Total Realism VII Roman Faction Historical Advisor

It is foolish to incur danger for small results; He must be considered a reckless general who would fight before there is any need, while a good one takes risks only in cases of necessity." ---Publivs Cornelivs Scipio Aemilianvs Afrivanvs Numantinvs

Quote Originally Posted by Zaknafien View Post
    Uh, perhaps you did not notice the new city in North Africa?

And why would we place even more cities in Sicily at the expense of other regions?
    Oh, sorry about north africa

I just think it's too easy to take sicily as it is now with only 3 cities.
    If we have 1 or 2 more city in sicily(Agrigentum and/or Parnormus) it would make it more interesting for SPQR or Karthadast for their struggle on sicily, although players who favors eastern faction probably wouldn't be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Oh, sorry about north africa

I just think it's too easy to take sicily as it is now with only 3 cities.
    If we have 1 or 2 more city in sicily(Agrigentum and/or Parnormus) it would make it more interesting for SPQR or Karthadast for their struggle on sicily, although players who favors eastern faction probably wouldn't be interested.
    Yeh, and then it would make it too easy to conquer other regions on the map. We have to strike a balance, which is difficult to do, but we hope that we've catered to all factions as equally as we can.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Is the central province of Arabia now unconquerable? Good choice, if so. In my games that city is conquered by the Seleukids but then rebels to Saba. The result is that Saba is pulled into a confrontation with the Seleucids long before they should be.

Sweet !!! Love the new features

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!

I agree, very nice preview, I love the new fog-of-war idea.

Very nice preview!

I love the border trading stations, as I've really felt the pain of owning those provinces - especially Saka Rauka.

Also the new system for Pahlava sounds good! Are there any plans on making the other horse factions easier to play as well?

In either case, all these changes look great, and thank you so much for showing them to us!

Brilliant --- border trade resource!! Brilliant!
    Under the Patronage of Belisarius

Member of S.I.N.
    = Fidei defensor =

Consider yourself conservative? Five Conservative Classics

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast