Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the bad trends in MMO

Default the bad trends in MMO

so list your greivences on this genre of games.

my personal one is that they all talk about being friendly to casual games, but the games themselves take forever to get anywhere in if you can only play an hour or two a day. most are dungeon grinders where you have to wait hours for spawns or at least spend that much time gathering a party when your not in some sort of guild.

its nearly impossible to play with friends, as you'll have those friends who just play not stop and powerlevel above you so that they want you now to spend an equal amount of time grinding just to catch up with them.

lootfest- gameplay seems to suffer when the whole focus of the game is aquiring better loot. this leads to those horrible wait times trying to get a chance at gaining said loot.

direct outcome- no matter what you do, you seem to have no effect on the world or storyline, this leads to a feeling of lack of accomplishment. great i was 5000 hours getting to lvl 50....now what.

consequences- games are fun when you face real consequences like losing more then just a few points of xp. games that try to make a real pvp or lose situation seem to get pulled into the "oh you just respawn with a 2% xp penalty" bug. if you able to play on one faction or the other, shouldnt you be able to attack said faction including other players and actually accomplish something? marching to war should be for a purpose, not just so you can go kill some newb.

clickfest- since when did macroing your attacks become fun? people setup these formulas for spells and attack, put them in a macro and just hit a button during an attack. what happened to dynamic gameplay?

Scipio Afracanis's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: the bad trends in MMO

Very good points.

What do you suggest to fix the probelms in the MMO game world?

Loot friendly games?Meaning the game offers tons of loot so the players have to figure out something else to do besides spending 100's of hours collections of loot.

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Try Pirates of the Burning Sea when it comes out. It has effectively solved most of the points raised.

http://www.burningsea.com/pages/page.php?pageKey=home

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Same with Warhammer:Age of Reckogning, it doesn't have the same stuff, and you do affect the world.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

EVE dealt with the direct outcome and consequences thing, but it still took sges to get anywhere. It's why i stopped playing it.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

If someone would just take Mount and Blade and make it a MMO then they would have the greatest game ever.

Lt.Bradford's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    EVE dealt with the direct outcome and consequences thing, but it still took sges to get anywhere. It's why i stopped playing it.

Didn't Eve have some real big thing happen a couple months ago, like some one was killed.

Eve Online has (or can have) major consequences for dying. You can lose all you have in a second if you're not careful. There's also no grind for skills, these train automatically over time. The grind is for in game money.

Another thing that has to be mentioned it www.fl-tw.com. Infinity is due next year or so, it's a space MMO to, Elite style with a real sized Galaxy (200 billion solar systems). No skills at all there, you can grind if you want, or not. It's very open, even more open than eve I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt.Bradford View Post
    Didn't Eve have some real big thing happen a couple months ago, like some one was killed.
    I think you're thinking of a Titan kill (to put in perspective, a frigate costs around 100.000 isk, a Titan costs around 60.000.000.000). Not to mention it takes like a month to build and takes 2 years to be able to fly one).
    More have died since

At the OP, I think you simply described the problems with WoW, thankfully there are other MMO's that do it differently
    Last edited by Wautd; July 20, 2007 at 04:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lusted View Post
    Once you get past the first 2 months, you can be competitive with everybody else. Also, it rewards teamwork (a handfull of newbies who know what they're doing can easely be a treath to someone who's playing fopr years)

Quote Originally Posted by Wautd View Post
    Once you get past the first 2 months, you can be competitive with everybody else. Also, it rewards teamwork (a handfull of newbies who know what they're doing can easely be a treath to someone who's playing fopr years)
    I think he means the flight times. They have gotten better with the warp to zero, but are still bad enough imo.

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Yeah I have played the infinity demo and it was really good because they say their are no level and that how you go in the game is purely your skill level
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Gwendylyn's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by scheuch13 View Post
    consequences- games are fun when you face real consequences like losing more then just a few points of xp.
    Actually, that's debatable. Specifically I'm thinking of a study that showed that women preferred extremely reversible consequences (i.e. non-permanent) when it comes to their character, which sparked games in general to give temporary consequences or one's that didn't affect the player's leveling up/strength.

Also, if any of them want to be casual friendly, giving 'real' consequences like you describe would turn a ton of them off to the game. It'd be far better just to have large consequences in certain parts of the game (i.e. a WoW raid dungeon) that few casual players will enter.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

It just took far too long to make money unless you were a miner or in a big corp. I was a fighter and in a small corp so it was a very slow process making money and i got tired of it, it would have taken me months to save up part of the money for a battleship.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Woad-Warrier's Avatar Vicarius

GRINDING!!!!!!! -.-'

Quote Originally Posted by Woad-Warrier View Post
    GRINDING!!!!!!! -.-'
    lol yeah that used to be my biggest worry until I got to the point that my Warlock in WoW could only get any upgrades from end-game instances.

My main concern was late-night raiding. Sometimes I had important classes the other day and staying awake till 3:00am was difficult.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

What about the PvP grind before the xpac? Jesus Christ.

Every single day was: Get back from school > Grind honor all day > Sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Sextus Loverlord View Post
    until I got to the point that my Warlock in WoW could only get any upgrades from end-game instances.
    OP warlock nub. learn 2 play a class that requires thought >. skillcoil ftl
    Last edited by Woad-Warrier; July 20, 2007 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woad-Warrier View Post
    What about the PvP grind before the xpac? Jesus Christ.

Every single day was: Get back from school > Grind honor all day > Sleep

OP warlock nub. learn 2 play a class that requires thought >. skillcoil ftl

Yeah the Honor grinding ... My Pally was rank 12 when my PC broke down .. Lost 2 ranks in a couple of weeks =/
    The good thing with that system was that you'd actually have to work to get your gear. Luckily, on both my servers (Bloodscalp and Magtheridon EU), we had 1 premade that arranged all the rankings.

Yeah, Skillcoil .. You forgot SkillGuard and Skillstone

I started my Warlock after I realized how 2-dimensional it was trying to play with a Shadow Priest. I wanted a class that could beat everyone .... And then they came up with Cloak of Shadows which was an 1-win button =/
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Gavmundo's Avatar Senator
    Morecambe, UK ... in the realms of the North!

I think the majority of MMO's are the same unfortunately. I don't think many have advanced very far since the early days. There's not a lot of originality. There have been some improvements here and there but essentially you're in for a grind fest and they all get boring eventually especially if you're paying a monthly fee.

The only one that has held my interest in recent years is Lord of the Rings Online and that's really because of my love of Middle Earth. I like to play my games at my own slow pace and need a good stroyline to keep me interested so that pretty much means MMO's aren't my thing.

My first MMO was Everquest back when the Ruins of Kunark expansion came out. Back then I loved it but there were few other MMO's around. I also played UO but preferred the 1st person gaming experience. Within a few years there were a lot more MMO's coming out and now we're at the point were the market is flooded with them. When it was an original experience it was fun but no more.
    Member of S.I.N

Xfire: Ulfang
    Steam: Gavmundo
    Xbox 360: Gavmundo
    PS3: Gavmundo

Yeah the Honor grinding ... My Pally was rank 12 when my PC broke down .. Lost 2 ranks in a couple of weeks =/
    The good thing with that system was that you'd actually have to work to get your gear. Luckily, on both my servers (Bloodscalp and Magtheridon EU), we had 1 premade that arranged all the rankings.
    Work for your gear? You had to bleed. I only got to rank 10 before I just couldn't put up with the boring, suicidal honor grind (I think its rank 10.. I got to L.G... the one with the mounts)

Yeah, Skillcoil .. You forgot SkillGuard and Skillstone
    I stopped before the expansion pack.. so luckily I didnt have to put up with Warlocks with Felguards too . You know what my shadow priest would of got compared to your Felguard? ANOTHER WEAK SAUCE D.O.T! Another SW: P for 41 talent points

I started my Warlock after I realized how 2-dimensional it was trying to play with a Shadow Priest. I wanted a class that could beat everyone .... And then they came up with Cloak of Shadows which was an 1-win button =/
    Yay, I like you better now . I was going to make a warlock but.. unfortunately I saw how cool Shadow Priests were (shadowform *drool*) God damn why did I have to see that screenshot...

But oh well, it was fun while it lasted. Shadow priests might not of been as good as Warlocks but it was damn fun. And you looked cool too. Yes, looked cool.
    Last edited by Woad-Warrier; July 20, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast