Thread: The campaign so far...(bit long)

Default The campaign so far...(bit long)

Downloaded 4.0, used darthmod AI at first now using real combat, removed the supply system from byrg's traits and I may have changed some other things but I can't remember right now.

Anyway I'm just posting this to say I've never been more hooked on a campaign in medieval 2, am very addicted and well into the game as england, the year is around 1340, diplomacy in the game and campaign AI is very good, no trouble getting ceasefires, (think I even had a vassal at one point)there are varied responses to my offers depending on my reputation, there are several lasting power blocks that have formed and lasted for a while, such as myself and the HRE, we are at war with the french and Milan, there is also portugal and spain, and another alliance between poland and hungary. HRE would have been wiped out ages ago but as I am the superpower I'm maintaining the germans.

The only minor fault to note here is that it seems most have a "despicable" "dubious" or "untrustworthy" reputation, Edit - oh there are a bunch of regions with inaccessible resources, and roads which you build but don't appear. Everyone also needs more movement points.

As I have tried both real combat and darthmod I would say there isin't much difference, darthmod combat lasts longer, as real combat gives lower morale (I think), which makes the battles a bit shorter but more difficult, what I like about this (real combat)is that you can really see the difference between the quality of the troops types, levies will rout but your more professional knights will continue to fight on.

In both mods the AI does make flanking manoeuvres, but there are issues in both mods with phalanxes (pikemen and volgue militia in the case of the french) not fighting back properly, in the field and in a seige. For the rest of the infantry, excluding phalanx units, there seem to be issues with them marching past my troops, not fighting back, this happens a lot in seige battles and sometimes in the field. I always seem to massacare phalanxes because they just don't fight back properly, they also tend to run away in the middle of a fight.

Finally I would like to suggest reducing the chances of thieves guilds being offered, especially if you have one already, and increase the odds of other guilds being offered, I would give examples but...I would basically like to see any other guild in an AI settlement as oppose to a theives guild, then again there have been a bunch of hospitallar and swordsmith guilds, but not enough variation!

Overall I am thoroughly enjoying this mod, more so than any other mod, thanks King Kong, I havn't had one CTD. Anyone else well into a campaign with anything interesting to report?
    Last edited by HIGGUM; July 22, 2007 at 06:42 PM.

Default Re: The campaign so far...(bit long)

my current campaign is going nicely as well now .Im using the hotfix with RC (didnt like the uberpwnage generals) and im also playing as the english at the moment, cant remember the year exactly, 13-something. Im real busy throwing those pescky milanese back into the mediteranean while giving my trusted allies, the french, all their lands back, as well as financing their renewed war effort ( 300 000 in 10 turns ). When im done with the milanese im going to toss a coin to see whos next, either the HRE or the danes, well see. So far this has been my most enjoyable campaign ive played. The diplomacy works well and the AI mod seems to be doing its work quite well. The first couple of battles i was amazed at the enemy actually making a proper attempt at kicking my behind with some nice moves. Overall a great work of art - kudos to all the guys who worked so hard on this great mod :d i absolutely love it. it has made a MIITW addict again

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

This Mod is by far the best one I've tried. I love everything that you guys have done to this game. It feels way more medieval and it's actually a challenge now. I'm one of the weakest countries in the world! I'm play with the Knights Templar and loving every second of the game. I got so used to being the nr.1 power all the time that I forgott how funny it is to try to find allies and wrestle against enormous empires with my puny 3 provinces! God wills it !

I do have a couple of questions for anyone of the modders though:
    1. Is there an Orthodox Patriarch in this mod? If not is it possible to get it?
    2. Does this mod include White Wolf's Byzantines re-skinned mod? If not have you done anything about the bad looking Byz units of vanilla?

Keep up the good work with SS, lovely mod, medieval II is a good game again!

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

the units of byzantinium are reskinned

I think there should be an Orthodox Patriarch. I bet it wouldnt be tooooooo hard to code, I mean, I doubt it would be giving missions and if so not very well but, I'm sure you could copy the code for the Papacy, and just change the factions that are under the influence. So there'd be a college of bishops, and bishops from the Orthodox factions (3 in this one right?) would vote on the Patriarch.

Personally, I wish the religion of a province depended on the majority of the actual people's religion at the time in that province. Meaning if you freshly conquered an Orthodox place as Catholics and didn't massacre, that province would not be able to build "Catholic" units or Catholic priests until it got to 51% Catholic.. But thats just me.

It would make religious conversion of an area essential for conquering it, if one didn't want to gain a bad reputation for being murderous. And with all the Churchs, and Priests of other provinces that would be needed to do this (the limit on # of priests would have to be raised by the way, the agent limit) would come all the traits and retinues that have to do with being devoutly pious. You'd have tons of Cardinals, chivalrous characters, and all kinds of good stuff. So doing it the hard way would have its perks..
    Last edited by King_Sulieman_YHWH; July 23, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
    Medieval II: Total War - Stainless Steel 4.1.
    Currently Campaigning as: Kingdom of Portugal

"No one has gone up into Heaven, except He having come down out of Heaven, the Son of Man who is in Heaven. And even as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that everyone believing into Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." -Book of John Ch. 3

Duke_of_Bavaria's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by King_Sulieman_YHWH View Post
    I think there should be an Orthodox Patriarch. I bet it wouldnt be tooooooo hard to code, I mean, I doubt it would be giving missions and if so not very well but, I'm sure you could copy the code for the Papacy, and just change the factions that are under the influence. So there'd be a college of bishops, and bishops from the Orthodox factions (3 in this one right?) would vote on the Patriarch.
    Yeah but there's a whole mod dedicated only to put the Patriarch into the game, I can't find it though .
    Personally, I wish the religion of a province depended on the majority of the actual people's religion at the time in that province. Meaning if you freshly conquered an Orthodox place as Catholics and didn't massacre, that province would not be able to build "Catholic" units or Catholic priests until it got to 51% Catholic.. But thats just me.
    Agreed, 51 % is a bit too much though . 10 % already is a very sizeable minority so that should do. However religious unrest should be enormous when Muslims conquer Christian cities and vice versa.

Kustjägarsoldat, A-dyk #31 Nordenskiöld - KJ för alltid!

Quote Originally Posted by King_Sulieman_YHWH View Post
    The closest thing is the ancillary called Patriarch of the Orthodox Church- This priest has ascended to the highest holy office in the Byzantine Empire. He is truly a selfless, spiritual wise counselor to the King. Piety +2, greater movement.