Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: templar faction

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default templar faction

I just got this mod and tried it. I chose templars and it is a hard faction to play as. I notice that aragon also only start out with 1 province, can't wait to try it out. having just 1 wooden castle as a starting province is hard, especially when the surrounding rebel cities have 10 unit stacks garrisoning them.

I am having trouble with killing general bodyguards, what do I use against them? they can ride through 4 units of spear units and killing while suffering only 1 or 2 casualties if at all. I tried out all the available cavalries available to the templar faction in custom battle vs Egyptian generals, nothing has work to my satisfaction so far.

I am still learning the mod, army field cost etc. how do the royalty + command star and king's authority work? my grandmaster had zero authority to 10 the next turn, then back to 0 after, I simply don't get how this works. and how does royalty work? most of my generals are under 4 royalty and i have had zero rebelling problems, even with zero authority on the grandmaster.

Default Re: templar faction

The second problem you mentioned is solved here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=110917

Yeah I know what your saying it is a hard faction to start off with, but seriously it has been the most fun faction so far. Not sure about your general problem and such, but heres how I proceeded with the campaign. Go first for Antioch (your gonna need all your forces for this). Its probably a good idea to use your own generals against other generals. Try getting them engaged with spearmen than charge them from behind. After your get antioch you have an established city (make sure to sack it). Re-organize your forces then take damascus . These two cities will give you a good income. Soon also you will get the hospitallar guild, which is a huge help cause it offers strong cavalry and infrantry (since templars lack good cavalry). From here you will be well established. It also seems that the templar are always good with the pope too so call a crusade and get some inexpesive units. For me around this time I called a crusade on jerusaelam (didnt have acre yet) and i got into an awsome war with egypt. I was out numbered so I had to retreat constantly and regroup. It involved huge fight followed by constant small scale skirmished. It really was the funnest campaign so far.

republic_bohemia's Avatar Decanus

Hmm In my opinion this is a simply faction to play with after couple of Turns,I mean think about it you have one of the richest territories waiting to be conquered!

delra's Avatar Praepositus

It's not the starting position that counts. It's the roster. If a faction has good units, they will be fun to play, no matter how grim their starting position is.

ignasigh's Avatar Ordinarius

Aragon starts with 2 provinces, Barcelona (castle) and Zaragoza (city and capital). The main problem of Aragon is that both provinces don't have any "advanced" building there, so you start from scratch!

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

templar is the same, I had like 4 units the first turn and building like 1 spear every other turn, it took like 5 turns to have enough + merc to take over antioch. I never said I had trouble, egypt is dying atm from my 3 stacks. starting from scratch with 2 provinces is better than 1 wooden castle with nothing except barracks.

to admiring, I read the thread you linked. weird, I play darthmod as my main, been playing it since 1.2, I have zero problems killing generals in darth mod. I don't get it. are the spear units in SS4.0 extra weak? or don't have enough bonus vs cavalry? or the general units in SS4.0 are extra powerful? or is it all of the above? pike units does the job very very well, vs all cavalries I use against them
    Last edited by craziii; July 26, 2007 at 08:00 PM.

But you have plenty of cash, great roster and a bunch of rich cities to sack around you. You also have a diplomat near Rome that will make calling a crusade much easier.

barca = city in my ss

TheFirstONeill's Avatar Father of Thera

I move the templars so they start on cyprus, as it is an easier startin goff point

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone
    Proud Creator of Thera, Legacy of the Great Torment: Opifex :

It's ahistorical and Byzantium has already lost many of it's territories it should have at the beginning.

Templars do not have a difficult starting position. They don't even start at war with Fatimids anymore so they have a lot of time to build up and slowly expand into Levant.

I know it isnt correct, but as soon as you make any descion the game becomes ahistorical, I give the byzantines tortusa, and that always drags them into the holy land scenerio as they send troops over to defend it, they are forced to cross turkish lands which always ends up with conflict

the fun of modding is messing with history LOL, Im porting SS onto gundugs fantasy map at the mo, to sever the history link completly. I like to run one game as released, and have one heavily modded version

cheers
    Jason
    (+rep for your very valid points Delra ::::bows::: )

House of Wilpuri :By the Patronage of Elrond: Patron of Caki : Aduellist : Borissomeone

How about moving Moors to Scandinavia then? It would make their start so much easier. It's just a mod, it doesn't have to be historical. :-)

Now you know that is just silly LOL , tho Ramtha made a good mod, with armies in totally random places,. Ind Otherworld by Gundug, nations have completely diffent neighbours, so adds a little suprise element to the experience,

You can always purchase Cyprus from Byzantium. 20k, map and alliance is usually enough. Then you sell Tortosa to whoever wants it (The Pope?) and you're all set. I just don't like making it a starting position.

thats why we mod, so we can tailor to our tastes

Quote Originally Posted by delra View Post
    It's ahistorical and Byzantium has already lost many of it's territories it should have at the beginning.

Templars do not have a difficult starting position. They don't even start at war with Fatimids anymore so they have a lot of time to build up and slowly expand into Levant.
    It doesn't take long to get into a war with the saracens.

The most I can get is Antioch and Damascus and by then the saracens control Acre and Jerusalem. With the money script and their large starting cash, it doesn't take long for them to build vast armies to conquer the surrounding areas.

And since they outnumber you vastly it's difficult to get a handle on things properly, even with a crusade on Jerusalem as it doesn't take long for more reinforcements to come in.

They bring light infantry and archers, you have heavy infantry and light cavalry by then. Who's going to win any major battle? ;-)

Yeah but when you add in the Turks coming in from the North and 3-4 saracen armies attacking around Acre, Jerusalem, and Damascus, it gets difficult. Especially when you can't support enough troops to deploy at all areas.

Their missile and heavy cavalry along with artillery are also a problem too.

Maybe I'll try again.
    Last edited by nameless; August 07, 2007 at 03:10 PM.

I always convert tortosa into a city and try to beat the saracens to acre, that way tortosa generates more money, and you'll get your hands on better units alot faster
    als het paard de haver niet lust, dat het dan mijn kloten kust

Geraardsbergen, home of the REAL Manneke Pis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast