Thread: Anyone see this in the news? ("exorcism")

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Default Anyone see this in the news? ("exorcism")

Another exorcism in the news in the last month.

PHOENIX, Arizona (AP) -- Officers responding to a report of an exorcism on a young girl found her grandfather choking her and used stun guns to subdue the man, who later died, authorities said Sunday.
    The 3-year-old girl and her mother, who was also in the room during the struggle between 49-year-old Ronald Marquez and officers, were hospitalized, police said. Their condition was unavailable.
    The relative who called police said an exorcism had also been attempted Thursday.
    "The purpose was to release demons from this very young child," said Sgt. Joel Tranter.
    Officers arrived at the house Saturday and entered when they heard screaming coming from a bedroom, Tranter said.
    A bed had been pushed up against the door; the officers pushed it open a few inches and saw Marquez choking his bloodied granddaughter, who was crying in pain and gasping, Tranter said.
    A bloody, naked 19-year-old woman who police later determined to be Marquez's daughter and the girl's mother was in the room, chanting "something that was religious in nature," Tranter said.
    The officers forced open the door enough for one to enter, leading to a struggle in which an officer used a stun gun on Marquez, Tranter said.
    After the initial stun had no visible effect, another officer squeezed into the room and stunned him. The girl was freed and passed through the door to the relative, Tranter said.
    Marquez was placed in handcuffs after a struggle with officers and initially appeared normal, but then stopped breathing, Tranter said.
    He could not be revived and was pronounced dead at a hospital.
    The cause of death was not immediately known, and autopsy results probably will not be available for several weeks, Tranter said.
    Tranter declined to identify Marquez's daughter and granddaughter but said they lived in the house with Marquez.
    The mother was not arrested, but police will consider criminal charges, Tranter said.
    There was no phone listing at Ronald Marquez's address
    http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/29/exo....ap/index.html

I'd like to get some views (especially by religious folks) on this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Dayman; July 31, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

Default Re: Anyone see this in the news? ("exorcism")

release demons from a young girl eh? utter ******** all of this kind of stuff
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    release demons from a young girl eh? utter ******** all of this kind of stuff
    I'd like to know what the hell this kid was doing in order to warrant an impromptu exorcism.

probably talked to a muslim, a clear sign of demon possesion
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

Legione's Avatar Ordinarius

Not much to say in my opinion, just some nut who decided to turn his beliefs into manifestation of hate and violence. I don't believe it would be fair to judge religion based on the actions of this man in case that's what you're getting at, crazy violent people will always find ways and excuses to carry out their rage.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    "Every man is his own ancestor, and every man is his own heir. He devises his own future, and he inherits his own past."

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Didn't it occur to them to get a properly trained Priest in to investigate?

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Did it not occur to them that daemons don't exist and so exorcism is quite pointless in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
    Didn't it occur to them to get a properly trained Priest in to investigate?
    How about a properly trained witch-doctor or medicine man?

A "properly trained priest"? "Properly trained" in what - advanced demon identification? Do you have the number of any "properly trained" fairyologists to identify the little creatures I'm sure are at the bottom of my garden? I've never actually seen them, of course, but I just have faith they are there ...

Roy Batty's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Legione View Post
    Not much to say in my opinion, just some nut who decided to turn his beliefs into manifestation of hate and violence. I don't believe it would be fair to judge religion based on the actions of this man in case that's what you're getting at, crazy violent people will always find ways and excuses to carry out their rage.
    That's not really fair to the would-be exorcist. You don't know that he was crazy, nor can you really say "he was just violent" without evidence to back it up. Have you seen his medical history? Was an in depth psych-eval ever done on him, and if so, did you read that too?

Don't be so quick to dismiss this man's actions as lunacy; it undermines his religious convictions and subsequently, your own and others'.
    Last edited by Roy Batty; July 30, 2007 at 06:13 PM. Reason: asdf123 mi speling is gud
    The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all.
    H. L. Mencken

Yet again, another sign of how superstition is harmful to man and society as a whole.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

NaptownKnight's Avatar Praeses

I am more concerned with the fact that TWC has been infiltrated by an Eagles fan

That's not really fair to the would-be exorcist. You don't know that he was crazy, nor can you really say "he was just violent" without evidence to back it up. Have you seen his medical history? Was an in depth psych-eval ever done on him, and if so, did you read that too?

Don't be so quick to dismiss this man's actions as lunacy; it undermines his religious convictions and subsequently, your own and others'.
    "This is madness!"
    "Madness?"
    "THIS IS Granny's House!"
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKnight View Post
    I am more concerned with the fact that TWC has been infiltrated by an Eagles fan
    You mean IGGLES!

Ah yes, the Release Demon Jitsu. It can only be performed by a very high-ranked Chuunin. Unfortunately, this guy didn't get it right.

Above everything, I find this occurrence not only very disturbing but I can't believe that something so mystical and deeply rooted in the occult can happen in the United States. I read stories in Time Magazine once about some guy that did this in India but that's understandable. This, however, is beyond me. And I thought we in Pakistan had a religious problem.
    Death be not proud, though some have called thee
    Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so.

Black Francis's Avatar -IN-NOMINE-XPI-VINCAS-

Quote Originally Posted by ThiudareiksGunthigg View Post
    How about a properly trained witch-doctor or medicine man?

A "properly trained priest"? "Properly trained" in what - advanced demon identification? Do you have the number of any "properly trained" fairyologists to identify the little creatures I'm sure are at the bottom of my garden? I've never actually seen them, of course, but I just have faith they are there ...
    Trained in what? what do you think? Exorcism.

If the family truly believed the daughter was possessed they should have gone to a Priest who would then have got in touch with a Priest trained in such affairs who would perform a proper full investigation to establish what was actually going on. If necessary an exorcism would be performed.. or he would tell them to get some counselling!

People believe in possession and as such there are men properly trained to deal with it.

Simple as that. Better than having somebody nearly choked to death.

IN-HOC-SIGNO-VINCES

Depressing !!! You just want to beat the ******* out of him eh !!!

Prince
    Growing Up In The Universe <- Check It Out !!!