Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: EmpireTW, replace religion with language!

Default Re: EmpireTW, replace religion with language!

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    Well i was thinking how can you explain catholic dublin and anglican london as being part of the same nation, and simply converting dublin in the first 5 turns is ahistorical and quite frankly silly.

So say as playing america and you conquered french quebec, realistically there will be a great deal of unrest, not because they're catholic but because they're french so basically language and culture has a much bigger impact at this age than religion. Plus when you create your empire, your ultimate goal is for people to adopt your culture, and speak your langauge, now THAT'S a sign of your empire's supremacy!
    I think it culture should i some way be factored in, but religion still held its baleful influence on the world. So although, two people might might be close culturally they could still be separated by the chasm of religion.

You mention Ireland, well that country has a sad history of conflict in which religion has played a major role. Again, I think that as a non British person you might be hard pushed to clearly spot the cultural differences between Ireland and Britain,: they speak English, the place looks British in many ways (buildings, streets, institutions, driving on the left, etc...). But it isn't British and they still wanted the Brits out.

Quebec has never changed its language nor have the people changed their religious affiliations, yet after the British take over there was relatively little (if any) dissent in the province. In fact it is only recently with the wave of nationalistic demands of the post ww2 that political agitation has come in earnest.

The difference is that in Ireland Britain interfered drastically with society, whereas in Quebec they left it alone.
    Last edited by La Vache Qui Rit; August 24, 2007 at 12:35 PM.

How would there be Mayflower and America if there are no protestants yet...

Quote Originally Posted by aeoleron9 View Post
    How would there be Mayflower and America if there are no protestants yet...
    Because that happened after advent of Protestantism. In fact the boat ws full of some of the more extreme ones!

Exactly. I was replying to the strange remark of Chlodwig I.

He's talking about why there are no protestants in M2TW - in answer to someone else.

Both should be added in. There are tons of factors that determine the populations happiness, why not another?
    "Our Empire is your Empire - Imperial proverb"

The Good's Avatar the Bad and the Ugly

Hi you guys,

ever since the announcement of empire tw, ive been really excited, especially about the prospect of colonising far flung regions. Then i started thinking that religion played a less important part in empire building than it did in medieval times. I mean the crusades ended and the pope's power diminshed greatly.

So what is more important then spreading your faith? I thought LANGUAGE as it is the gateway of spreading your culture. And quite frankly of more practical use than spreading your religion. Looking at some former colonies like India for the British. There arent much anglican church followers from the native population but you will hardly find anyone that cant speak some english. Same thing with France and its north african colonies like Morrocco and Algeria. There are hardly many catholics but they ALL speak french at least as a second language.

So instead of having a priest or imam, you can now have a new agent character like an "educator", and instead of building a "small church", you can now build a small school.

What do you guys think?
    Even better, have both Religion and Languages! Your idea is good, but I still want Religion in Empire: Total War!

The States weren't all Protestant either. It had some of everything but many people did not claim to be Catholic or Protestant. Much of that was only in the bigger cities and areas that were trying to figure out what exactly they were for. Many pioneers just read the bible and didn't claim to be anything. You also had Baptists but im not sure when they called themselves that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12