Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Books for your comments

Sure I'll give you a tibbit...

One group, who in part can claim that they killed off the Roman Empire are the Huns, under Attila. They swept across Russia and pushed Germanic tribes like the Visigoths, Ostrigoths, and Vandals into Roman lands. Legend has it that Pope Leo the first disarmed Attila with only his words. The reality is that Attila knew that if he took Rome he would need to contend with the massing combined forces of Rome and the Germanic Tribes. With all this pressure of her boarders, Rome had only one choice, to let in the barbarian refugees. After a generation, ˝ the army was of German-born descent. Being Roman just was not a big deal anymore. Eventually, Germans had so integrated into Roman culture that people forgot they were there. Romans adopted German names and dress and vice-versa.

However, some historians say that the great empire survived in the form of the Byzantine Empire. The king of the empire and his people called themselves Romans. Therefore, if this is to be believed, then the Roman Empire did not fall until 1453.
    A.A. Social Sciences Emphasis

not to get your hopes up, but i could ask my mum to look at the book. shes very high up on the ladder for pearson ed(a few seats away from the top) and if she likes it she might be able to do something. but really dont get your hopes up.

I'm trying to do something. I just want to get my ideas out there, you know.

Tiro

That's great, you actually got off your (figurative) chair and did something about what you thought was lacking. I've liked to write, but have never gotten the confidence to actually write out a book. Great thing that you did! Perhaps now you'll follow up... :happy

Erm, how did you publish it? I'd like to know just in case... Besides, I live in Singapore, could it be done through the net or something?
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    -Herbert Spencer

Originally posted by Tritio@Mar 21 2005, 09:13 AM
    That's great, you actually got off your (figurative) chair and did something about what you thought was lacking. I've liked to write, but have never gotten the confidence to actually write out a book. Great thing that you did! Perhaps now you'll follow up... :happy

Erm, how did you publish it? I'd like to know just in case... Besides, I live in Singapore, could it be done through the net or something?
    I found a company called lulu...www.lulu.com will do it for you. Thank you for your praises. Please check out my book.

im definately going to buy this book and read it. it def looks good. i'll buy the hardconver(im assuming you get more money if i do)

There is no hardcover edition. And unfortunatly, I have no plans of releasing one. I'm sorry, but I feel that my ideas just need a simple medium.

Mehmed II's Avatar Vicarius

Seems like a great book to me, may I ask what it is about in general?

Originally posted by Mehmed II@Mar 23 2005, 01:30 AM
    Seems like a great book to me, may I ask what it is about in general?
    Taken right from my introduction:

This book will explore several things that I feel are severely lacking. “The History that was Never Spoken” will delve into some things that I feel are earth-shatteringly important, but due to publishing concerns, are left out of history tomes altogether. Now, I realize that you can’t include everything of “importance” in history. That’d be a fool’s errand. Nevertheless, what I will try to do is present several things that I feel are “important” enough for me to write down and share with you all. However, these events are not hidden, else how would I have come to know them. They just take some digging.

Here it is: The new chapter, it's an essay....

Let me know what you think, whether it deserves to be in the book or not.

Religion

This topic lies in an area beyond that of an acceptable topic for everyday conversation. Despite that, I will attempt to present an objective, neutral look at religion. I will expand upon things proposed in my book and hopefully inspire healthy, intellectual debate.

I will not even begin to touch on why the Christians hate the Jews, since we should all be privy to that story, despite its validity, by now. Instead, I will explain why the Jews dislike the Christians. However, if you are looking for this argument, consult my book “The History that is Never Spoken” Chapter 3: Rome, for said argument. Historians, myself included, have been able to clearly and concisely pin it down to a certain year.

Dateline: 70 C.E. The Roman Providence of Judea. There is revolutionary ideas brewing. Unrest is rampant. The Jewish people tire of being pawns. They were pawns to the Phoenicians, Egyptians, Babylonians, and now the Romans. They wanted an independent state to call their own.

The Romans handled this as they did all other revolts… with brute force. They sent legions down to the rebel providence to crush the rabble-rousers. The legions, under the command of Titus Flavius, arrived and laid siege to the city of Jerusalem. According to records, during the siege of the city, 1.1 million died and some 96,000 were now P.o.W.’s. Most of those taken prisoner or killed were of the Jewish faith.

Why?

Hitherto 70 C.E, most Christians were nothing more than Jews who had committed to Jesus Christ being their savior. Before 70 C.E, relations between Jews and Christians were peaceful. As the Romans were laying siege to Jerusalem, there was a small band of people watching from a hill overlooking the siege. These people were mostly all Christian. They believed that God would punish the Jews for there “wrongful” beliefs. A warning from none other then Jesus himself aided this. There were three different (major) sects of Jews: Essenes, Pharisees, and Sicarii. Jesus was an Essenes.

The Jews never forgave the Christians for their neutrality. It was at this point, where Judaism and Christianity finally and violently split from one another. Christians knew they could no longer stay in Judea, as the locals, their former fellow citizens, were hostile towards them. This is what prompted the move to other parts of the empire and thus the spread of Christianity.

People often wonder if God truly stopped the Romans from completely destroying the Second temple of Solomon. I would like to propose a new theory: The Romans may have been trying to teach an abject lesson, using the temple to do it. This was not uncommon.

King Phillip of Macedon, father to Alexander the Great, was being held prisoner in the Greek city-state of Thebes. He was finally able to procure his freedom and vowed to raise an army. Once he did, he set about utterly destroying by fire the city. He taught the Thebans an abject lesson.

The Romans could have very well destroyed the entirety of the temple, leaving nothing standing, or burning down the city, as they had done countless times before. But no, this temple was different. Leaving the western wall standing, they could teach a lesson to those in Judea. If they destroyed said temple, their would be no reminder of Roman dominance over these subject peoples.

However, the temples destruction was not intentional. It plays out like this…

Oddly enough, destroying Solomon’s second temple was not in the cards for Titus. He did not want to destroy this temple. He would have loved to convert it into a pagan temple which would have been dedicated to the magnificence of the Roman emperor as well as the multitude of Roman deities. Alas, the flames, set near the temple mount, consumed the temple too quickly. Nonetheless, the end result in the same: The Romans had quelled the revolt.

Bibliography

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:A...us_frontal.jpg (image)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_of_Titus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_o...salem_%2870%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_of_Jerusalem%2C_AD_70

No, that isn't a banana

aieee, internet sources? and wiki at that? why not use traditional sources?

I would be more inclined to think that Jews dislike Christians:

A) First and foremost, because the Christians persecuted Jews - if someone does that to you, you aren't bosom buddies,
    B) The reason why pretty much any religion will dislike those of another, because they think Christianity is false, and Christians think Judaism is false.

Patron of Felixion, Ulyaoth, Reidy, Ran Taro and Darth Red
    Co-Founder of the House of Caesars

yeah use a proper library.
    You might be aiming for a slightly different goal, but my history degree has tought me that internet sources are amongst the most unreliable you can get. if you can get access to some published works by respected authors through a library or online you should use them.
    you'll see that even in the best books debate goes on about what actually happened - that's the thing about history NOTHING written is actual fact, only interpretations of events of the past. and the best interpretations are the ones everybody refers to and come to know as definitive.

as for religious discussion, and particularly medieval christian, the Medieval Sourcebook, is a solid source of information even if it is on the internet. *noideas*

I was looking for an evaluation of my factual basis. I relize my choice of internet sources was a poor one, and am now supplimenting my arguement with more tradional sources on the matter. I was aiming at a time preceeding the Jewish persecutions by Christian hands. 70 C.E. is way before that. Christianity wasn't even near to being the "state" religion...that would come latter. I was looking to explore the roots of the issue, and picked a singular event. If you all woudn't mind evaluating my argument please.

"The History That Was Never Spoken" and "Three Treaties that Changed the World" are my new books. In the first, I attempt to talk of some of the things that I feel histroy texts lack. In my second, I talk of three treaties that had a profound effect of the world. Check it out:

http://www.lulu.com/DavidGray

P.S. Will sign every copy that is bought. Just ask!

It looks original. Could you name those three treaties you're talking about in your books though? I suspect one is Versailles but I don't have any clue as to what the others are.
    "... the first design of speech was to persuade others; either to give credit to what the speaking person would have them believe; or else to act or suffer such things, as he would compel them to act or suffer, if they are entirely in his power." Mandeville (1670-1733)

Under the Patronage of MareNostrum

Is this your first book, because I'm more into writing novels and stories instead of non-fiction and was wondering if LuLu was the way to go. I've looked into some other companies and have found very few good ones.

Kadesh
    Versailles
    Korean Armistice

Also included are many photos and graphs to further illustrate my point[s]. Please check it out @ www.lulu.com/DavidGray

This is my second book published with Lulu. They have treated me nice thus far. I highly reccomend them. Highly easy and quick to get published.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12