Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can we create our own selfsufficient biodome?

Gelatinous Cube's Avatar Ducenarius

You know, Hormiga, I'd be more convinced if you people didn't all take my topic and bastardize it. You're arguing with a position that's out of context. If anything, the destruction of nature and the replacement with "domesticated" nature will be gradual, as it already is.
    Cube: I want a sign from god, in special godly ink, proving his existence.
    Poets: What if you have to take it on Faith?
    Cube: Bah, no deal. That's like a crack-head asking for $5 on Credit.

hormiga's Avatar Senator

Originally posted by Gelatinous Cube@Apr 20 2005, 09:32 PM
    You know, Hormiga, I'd be more convinced if you people didn't all take my topic and bastardize it. You're arguing with a position that's out of context. If anything, the destruction of nature and the replacement with "domesticated" nature will be gradual, as it already is.
    I didnt bastardize it. It is a completely valid point. When ever you start eliminating "wild" organisms you will be left with a handful of ideal "domesticated" organisms.

And we arent gradually domesticating the world, I mean when was the last time we started using new crops or new animals for food? Guess what we are using the stuff we have been using for 1000 of years. And when we move to space (or a bio dome) we are going to bring the same cattle, chickens, etc...

Look man, you asked a nebulous question... dont blame me for your thread turning into a train wreck.

Originally posted by hormiga@Apr 20 2005, 11:19 PM
    I didnt bastardize it. It is a completely valid point. When ever you start eliminating "wild" organisms you will be left with a handful of ideal "domesticated" organisms.

And we arent gradually domesticating the world, I mean when was the last time we started using new crops or new animals for food? Guess what we are using the stuff we have been using for 1000 of years. And when we move to space (or a bio dome) we are going to bring the same cattle, chickens, etc...

Look man, you asked a nebulous question... dont blame me for your thread turning into a train wreck.
    Goddammit man, I didnt even create this thread. A mod did. This isn't a debate. It's not something I'm going to argue about. Because you just plain don't get it. We've been domesticating the world for centuries. the prominence of cattle in the last couple hundred years is a good example.

No we have not. Domestication would mean we would be turning more and more lifeforms into ones that we grow and use in controlled way.

Throughout history after we got grains and cattle we have not domesticated, we have destroyed.

It is not domestication to wipe out hectare of rainforest and put cows in it. Or clear hectare of rainforest and put some cocoa-trees in it.
    It's destruction because farms are not able to support healthy biosphere without support of "natural" nature. More we destroy to add our own desired functions to it more likely we are to cut the last link which results in collapse of the natural upkeep and that leads to total destruction.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Right. :whistle Tell you what. If world destruction due to our "Domestication" of the world is ever imminent, i'll send you $5 in the mail.

Well, on limited scale the destruction has already taken place. Several pacific islans have suffered massive erosion after they have, for one "domestication" purpose or another, destroyed the original plantlife and after that rains have started to take away the topsoil used for farming.

Everyone is warhero, genius and millionaire in Internet, so don't be surprised that I'm not impressed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12