Thread: Top of the head proposals for more realism

Default Top of the head proposals for more realism

Probably forgot some but i can add later..
    Anyway, if anyone is interested in modding any off these im ready to help anyway how i can, research or even learn to edit something myself if a tutorial is available.

-4 turns per year
    -Historically correct faction names
    -Historically correct regions, more regions
    -Historically correct starting regions for factions at campaign start
    -Historically correct economic situation for the factions at campaign start in realtion to otehr factions
    -Historically correct resources, more resources
    -Historically correct size armies and navys in relation to other factions
    -Historically correct towns in location, size and available buildings
    -Historically correct forts
    -Historically correct roads
    -Historically correct available technologies for the factions from campaign start
    -Historically correct diplomatic relations betwen the factions at campaign start
    -Historically correct population sizes from campaign start in relation to other factions
    -Historically correct
    -Realistic research times
    -Realistic building times
    -Realistic recruitment times
    -Realistic research cost
    -Realistic building cost and upkeep
    -Realistic recruitment cost and upkeep
    -No limits in building slots
    -No limits in recruitment slots
    Last edited by Björneborgs regemente; March 07, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

Default Re: Top of the head proposals for more realism

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be a limit in building slots in ETW. I think all the buildings you queue up in your actual cities seem to build at the same time.

Accuracy dropoff is the single biggest realism fix. Accuracy at maximum range should be very low, and it should increase exponentially as you close, not linearly. With this fixed, you'd have tons of new, interesting tactics on offense, and the nailbiting thrill of timing volleys to break charges on defense (something you basically cannot do now).

I think some morale tweaks are definately in order - I mean, militia, and firelock-armed commoners standing up to regulars with bayonets? It just didn't happen. Historically, untrained (or half-trained) troops do not stand up well (if at all) to cold steel. Similarly, non-bayonet armed troops, or troops caught with their backs turned, ought to suffer much worse at the hands of cavalry, and the presence of the cavalry ought to instill panic. Just my humble opinion.

Remo's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Rittermeister View Post
    I think some morale tweaks are definately in order - I mean, militia, and firelock-armed commoners standing up to regulars with bayonets? It just didn't happen. Historically, untrained (or half-trained) troops do not stand up well (if at all) to cold steel. Similarly, non-bayonet armed troops, or troops caught with their backs turned, ought to suffer much worse at the hands of cavalry, and the presence of the cavalry ought to instill panic. Just my humble opinion.
    Agreed on most parts.

If you are talking melee then I agree, however a gun is a gun. A volley isn't about accuracy so anybody can do it effectively. However I think that Militia and Commoners should take huge hits to morale when in a volley trade with.............pretty much anything.

They weren't trained to ignore fear like the line troops were. So they shouldn't be able to stand there and trade volleys in a line. However on the other end, trained line troops should be able to stand there and duke it out untill they take massive losses. Which is pretty much how it is currently.

Cavalry I definently agree with. They aren't nearly as feared as they were in M2TW. Frankly, if you know how to rotate your line right, you can stop a charge far before they reach you.

I also think that Dragoons should dismount far faster than they currently do. I was playing online with a friend earlier today and I got my dragoons in a sweet position. Well he saw me, I should have had enough time to dismount and form my line. Before I could dismount he was able to run a line over to within range and as my dragoons stepped down they got dropped.

XiombargDei's Avatar Civis

I would add :
    -more ressources (banana, coffee, incense, etc.)
    -a way to control your commerce, which ressources to trade to who, for how much etc
    - more technologies, and faction-related technologies
    -ressources-dependant buildings and units
    -siege cost
    -can not siege and attack a town in the same turn, i.e. having at least one turn siege cost
    -complete rework of the trait system, more traits, better descriptions, deeper effects etc.

well there are so many ideas. Just like the OP i would like to offer my help, though i'm just a basic player, not a modder / script writer / graphist or anything ^^ i can do research, testing, and translating english to french

Hail to you talented modders

Aegon's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by XiombargDei View Post
    -can not siege and attack a town in the same turn, i.e. having at least one turn siege cost
    Why not? I mean, your army could attack immediately after they arrived at the town, why should they wait a turn? Of course, lying siege to a town takes some time but if you're sieging and attacking in the same turn it's basically like an immediate assault.

I haven't played too much until now, just a little of the Road to Independence campaign, but as far as I noticed, there are no benefits from sieging a town before you attack it in the same turn. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    -- Winston Churchill

The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the most discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but 'That's funny...’
    -- Issac Asimov

History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
    -- Napoleon Bonaparte

XiombargDei's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Aegon View Post
    Why not? I mean, your army could attack immediately after they arrived at the town, why should they wait a turn? Of course, lying siege to a town takes some time but if you're sieging and attacking in the same turn it's basically like an immediate assault.

I haven't played too much until now, just a little of the Road to Independence campaign, but as far as I noticed, there are no benefits from sieging a town before you attack it in the same turn. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    the benefice of sieging is to reduce the number in each unit stacks as fas as i know. maybe even moral and if not that would be a good idea.

for the no attacking a city on the same turn, it is mainly for balancing reasons. In europe and even in most of the world, you can just move your army from one on your settlement to the enemy city across your border, siege and take it in one turn. I find this too fast too easy and boring, and it doesnt give time for the AI to prepare, send reinforcements or whatever.