Thread: Performance reminder for SPQR

Icon1 Performance reminder for SPQR

So i had recently upgraded my PC and after coming back to look at the spqr forums i decided to reinstall ROME and play another spqr campaign. However i noticed that my game would lag and having the computer that i do i wouldn't expect the game to lag at all. So i thought there might be something wrong with the hardware after doing a search on this site i came on some info that basically changed the way my entire system runs now lol.

I have a
    quadcore AMD Phenom 940 overclocked to 3.45
    a gtx 285 overclocked as well
    8 gigs of ram
    and an 850 wat PSU

with this rig i was getting lag with an army of about 8 or 9 thousand on screen (with NO antailaising)..... after reading through some forums posts i realized that something was not right. Well long story short i found out that having a bunch of USB devices hooked up to your PC can sometimes slow down your computer. So i unhooked all non essential things (including external hard drives, which i suspect were the culprit) And BAM my computer was freakin BLAZING fast, it was nuts something was seriously slowing down my computer by about 50%

So now i can handle a 25000 man army with no slowdown whatsoever with 16Q antailaising with every graphic option on my card driver forced to super quality and running on my 40inch 1080P samsung the battles are glorious!!!!!
    oh and a little something i noticed also was that when i put rome on 1920x1080 resolution which is native for 1080P display my refresh rate automatically went down to 24hz which is not cool for gaming (it should be 60) I also noticed that it did this with other games as well (crysis warhead, Company of heroes) well the work around that i found is to go into the NVIDIA control panel and under "Manage Custom Resolutions" create a custom resolution of 1920x1080 at 60hz and the card will force anything that uses that resolution to 60hz. That was something that i tried to fix so many other ways and was racking my brain, so now that its fixed i wanted to share with the community in case anyone else plays on their 1080P TV. And if you want to check what hz your tv is running at most newer TV's have an INFO button on the remote which tells you the resolution the TV is currently on and the refresh rate (which is the hz)

anyway i just wanted to post this in case anyone else had the same problem or maybe just wants to try running your system with the bare essentials plugged in maybe youll see a performance increase as well!!

And the nice thing is that this basically fixed a lot of problems i had with all my other games as well (they were performing poorly as well)

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Default Re: Performance reminder for SPQR

Could you post some pictures this seems like a cool thing to have a look at.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Finch's Avatar is Deadpool
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Default Re: Performance reminder for SPQR

Quote Originally Posted by freelancerX View Post
    So i had recently upgraded my PC and after coming back to look at the spqr forums i decided to reinstall ROME and play another spqr campaign. However i noticed that my game would lag and having the computer that i do i wouldn't expect the game to lag at all. So i thought there might be something wrong with the hardware after doing a search on this site i came on some info that basically changed the way my entire system runs now lol.

I have a
    quadcore AMD Phenom 940 overclocked to 3.45
    a gtx 285 overclocked as well
    8 gigs of ram
    and an 850 wat PSU

with this rig i was getting lag with an army of about 8 or 9 thousand on screen (with NO antailaising)..... after reading through some forums posts i realized that something was not right. Well long story short i found out that having a bunch of USB devices hooked up to your PC can sometimes slow down your computer. So i unhooked all non essential things (including external hard drives, which i suspect were the culprit) And BAM my computer was freakin BLAZING fast, it was nuts something was seriously slowing down my computer by about 50%

So now i can handle a 25000 man army with no slowdown whatsoever with 16Q antailaising with every graphic option on my card driver forced to super quality and running on my 40inch 1080P samsung the battles are glorious!!!!!
    oh and a little something i noticed also was that when i put rome on 1920x1080 resolution which is native for 1080P display my refresh rate automatically went down to 24hz which is not cool for gaming (it should be 60) I also noticed that it did this with other games as well (crysis warhead, Company of heroes) well the work around that i found is to go into the NVIDIA control panel and under "Manage Custom Resolutions" create a custom resolution of 1920x1080 at 60hz and the card will force anything that uses that resolution to 60hz. That was something that i tried to fix so many other ways and was racking my brain, so now that its fixed i wanted to share with the community in case anyone else plays on their 1080P TV. And if you want to check what hz your tv is running at most newer TV's have an INFO button on the remote which tells you the resolution the TV is currently on and the refresh rate (which is the hz)

anyway i just wanted to post this in case anyone else had the same problem or maybe just wants to try running your system with the bare essentials plugged in maybe youll see a performance increase as well!!

And the nice thing is that this basically fixed a lot of problems i had with all my other games as well (they were performing poorly as well)
    i used to have this problem ages ago