Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Multiplayer Functionality?

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Multiplayer Functionality?

Its not a big problem tho, if you have played the game on classic MP, you should know this can happen and indeed WILL happen. You can solve it either by having a meat shield pila absorbing unit, or we just have to do what? Pick different nations, or set a rules that would balance this things. Like less money for defender, less upgrades, whatever, think it up, I gotta study to do

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Well the units used can't be picked on the spot, because the prices are definitely not balanced or intended to be balanced for battles like this. I would say for tournaments, just fight with normal legions, though the experience or something could be different depending on who defends.. I don't know.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

Been trying it out multiplayer tonight, 3 battles with at most 7 players and huge setting... It was epic, but laggy... hehe.
    Anyhow, it works like a charm, no stability issues, lost connections or problems once everyone was in the game.
    Very enjoyable

Semisalis

Ja, I confirm what Ejergard says as I was in that game. Be warned - Romans are overpowered like hell. But that was a great EPIC game. Try it out and you will not be disappointed.

PS: Just remember to copy the map file as mentioned earlier and you will be fine.
    Member of Augustus GC - A Rome Total War Hotseat Game- Britons
    Member of RS Augustus GC - A Rome Total War Hotseat Game - Iberia
    Burrhus, Faction Leader of Carthagian Family Empire
    Vindex, The Warlord of Londinium

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Well it seems like we can start organizing a tournament.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

cnaeus's Avatar Centenarius

i really dont get the reason why you need to sent your opponent the .rwm file because when you have the exact same version of SPQR he should already have the file.

do you need a special copy of the intire game and mod for multiplayer or can you just follow the procedure mentioned earlier on the spqr game i already have on my computer??

cnaeus,
    Last edited by Garnier; January 03, 2009 at 07:35 PM.

Challange Macedon, and die trying

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

The .rwm file is altered with a "fix" for the mp aspect.

It is best to have a special copy of the intire game for mp use this is the only way in knowing no one changed the desc_start file or what ever files people alter. I copyed my new version in to a folder called SPQRMP and added a shortcut on my desktop called SPQRMP as well so i will know not to change any files for that version.
    Last edited by Garnier; January 03, 2009 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Its RWM not RTMW guys, dont confuse everyone. ;)
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

I did nothing fancy though... I've had the same install since I got 7.0, and it's the same install that I've been playing my single player campaign on. I saved the original map and save files for the campaign incase there will be some problems when I try my campaign again. Only thing I did was to change the map.rtw-files described.

Hesus what do you mean it has a fix? The one I used and the default one with SPQR is the same one RTW always had, it was last modified in 2005.

Not sure what you are referring to as far as a fix to the rwm.

Retired moderator of TWC
    | Under the patronage of Atterdag

I have to go to work soon, so I don't have time to read all of the posts in depth. However, I did see a few questions that might not be addressed yet.

First, someone wanted to know if this fix would need to be reapplied every time. No. I think.

When you start a new SP campaign, the game appears to create a new MAP.rwm file internally. I have not taken the time to figure out exactly what it changes, why it does it, or how RTW Vanilla creates file compatibility while some mods generate inconsistent MAP.rwm's. I would be interested to know, but frankly I don't have the time to monkey with it like I used to.

Still, starting a new SP Campaign, or perhaps continuing an existing one <MIGHT> have an effect on that file. Since I have not looked at how the mod is constructed in depth, and I have never taken the time to study the RTW engine to that extent, I can't tell you for sure.

Therefore, the previous suggestion of having a 2nd copy of the mod for MP use only is a good one. Should you stick to MP only, you should never have to reinstall the fix. It should be 100% permanent.

Second, concerning balance, my clan is finding the same thing. Romans are vastly overpowered when it comes to Imperial era legions. Historically accurate perhaps, but an issue in multiplayer situations.

Also, I have noticed that units seem to penetrate Macedonian Phalanx formations much too easily.

These balance issues are being discussed, and we are still working on whether it would work well for multiplayer use. Probably the best thing to do in tournament is to outlaw Romans, or restrict them to Pre-Marian armies only.

Though, I am glad it appears to be working for everyone. Keep me apprised of anything else of note.

HAVE FUN!
    Last edited by Constantine; January 03, 2009 at 10:44 PM.
    Forumites Multiplayer Campaign
    Empire building, role playing, online battles, real diplomacy. New campaign starts soon, join today!
    Campaign Introduction: http://z10.invisionfree.com/FORUMITE...showtopic=1459

How about just doing a 2 on one thing with 2 other factions again 1 roman, then that would balance it out. After all in Real life things arent balanced, you just have to find other ways around it. lol
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

czePowerslave's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by lt1956 View Post
    How about just doing a 2 on one thing with 2 other factions again 1 roman, then that would balance it out. After all in Real life things arent balanced, you just have to find other ways around it. lol
    Imo properly played non-roman faction can give them beating very much. Depends on tech of Romans and the coinez available.

Roman Rebel
    Installation FAQ + troubleshooting
    We shall stand side by side even unto death. SPQR for life.
    Mgr. Šohaj Pavel

Btw, its been over half a year since this multiplayer possibility was brought up and I can say that I've been playing both singleplayer and multiplayer extensively on the same install since January without any problems or irregularities since. Once we made sure that we had the same file at the start, no more fiddling with files have been required since, although I've played singleplayer aswell.

Hello people i have some experience playing online mainly Europa barbarum mod, in fact we are doing a tournament with EB 1.2 its spectacular those battles 3v3 2v2 is amazing and is very stable too. well for SPQR i dont kown but it should work if people have the same versions and start with the same exe. MP online it doesnt work becouse you required to have game spy acount etc i belive isnt very reliable. So the best option is Hamachi is a small program who connect lan networks trough the internet, i think ill work like a charm. Hamachi is gratuit and very easy to handle as well very stable. for the SPQR tournoment we must decide wich version will use and also create a hamachi network and post here all necessary information, if you people are eager to do this i will be happy to help of course.

We tried to get this working with Hamachi, but failed, I'm not new to Hamachi, and have used it to play other games so it's not that. However, it works like a charm with gamespy, its just the usual gamespy issues occasionaly, but mostly its fine.
    You don't need the same .exe, you just need to swap that map.rtw file described earlier with whoever you want to play with. GLHF

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123