Thread: Events timing

Laetus

Default Events timing

I have noticed that many of the events are showing up many years before they actually did historically. I know that the date in the descr_events file is years from start, not turns from start. The Mongols are showing up around 1125 instead of historically of 1240 and Gunpowder is discovered around 1135 instead of historically of about 1290. Is this deliberate for game play purposes or is there a mistake?

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Default Re: Events timing

Deliberate. With two turns per year, it takes too long to get there. I just cut the descr_events turns to make it more playable and more enjoyable. It maybe ahistorial but I like it better. Do you?

Laetus

I think it is a little too soon for gunpowder. I am able to build bombards and cannon before most of my towns can build trebuchet. Perhaps move the gunpowder ahead to about 1200 or turn 120?

Also seems to still be missing sprites. I have fought against the Mali and they have invisible units, just the shadows show up. Spearmen I think.

One more thing, Taticius is listed as a ancillary but there is no trigger for him to appear. he is the Islamic equivalent to de Moulins and de Ridefort.

I have never made it gunpowder in a campaign. If it warrants an adjustment it can be done.

For missing sprites and ancillaries, right now, I'm going to leave those to Gigantus and Billydilly. Gigantus knows the animation files better than I do and Billydilly is putting together a new Heraldry pack built on BBB 4.0.

Laetus

still missing some text also. I do not get text for battles of "wait a turn" and "begin deployment"

billydilly's Avatar Senator

The events timing really should be fixed. Is it hard to do or just very very boring?
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I just did a little digging into the descr_events file. A comparison between the original (vanilla) and RegMod's file show a reduction in the date. This must have done under the impression that the date has to do with turns. This is not the case! The date is linked to the year - it simply doesn't matter how many turns per year you have, the appearance of the event will be at the start of the year. date 4 = 1080+5 = 1085 (date zero is the immediate start in 1080).

Quote from the top of the descr_events file:
    ; event descriptions are followed by a date (year as offset from starting date) or a date range
    My suggestion: simply copy the vanilla file (imperial_campaign folder) into RegMod until the next patch is out.
    Last edited by Gigantus; August 18, 2009 at 07:43 AM.

I did it to speed things up a little. The idea came from http://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?p=1531940. Even if ahistorical, I like it better based this way on 2 turns per year even if the Mongols are showing up almost 100 years early. It's a personl opinion subject to change and open to discussion to whomever that wants to join.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I think from the point of playability it will be better to leave it as it is. Heaven help us if the history nuts get hold of this! I just have a look if some core vents shouldn't be adjusted a bit.

Yes, it is fun. After all, if the game was historically accurate it would be boring, as very few battles were fought in the Middle Ages. Henry I of England fought two battles in 35 years of his reign. Henry II, who was generally accounted the best military man of his age, fought a grand total of zero pitched battles in 36-37 year of his reign. Medieval warfare was essentially logistical warfare, destroying your opponents ability to maintain an army in the field by destroying his peasants and agriculture. So, why not have the events a bit arbitrary?