Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Laca's Numidians - wip

aha, and if i would use them as a horseman for example mercenary arab cavalry, could you create a version with sword or falcata?

Of course... But they used falcatas? I am not sure what kind of swords they used back then.

maximusminimus's Avatar Biarchus

Looks very nice LAca, but the red pattern on the shield looks a bit Celtic.
    I would suggest a more African looking motif.

Download V. 1.0 here
    Discussion and updates here

Keeps getting better and better!

Quote Originally Posted by LAca
    Added a new desert infantry model...

Wow! awsome Laca this will work fine with my camel riders

Quote Originally Posted by LAca
    New shields for the desert warriors... Im not sure about the paintings, but they are looking good... Basically a wooden frame with some animal skins nailed on it (you can see a part of the back of the shield on the ingame shot). I saw some pics with shields shaped like an 8, the rest of it is my imagination...

I almost peed my pants when i saw these they are truly amazing! i can see the time spent and the love you put in your units can't w8 till i can get them in my game

Double post merged - please use the edit button in future.
    Last edited by Lusted; February 22, 2006 at 04:58 AM.
    Egyption King So it is written! so it shall be done!

LAca, release them with arab sword...

Changed the shield paintings... These are some ancient berber symbols. Also some colour changes on the clothes...
    Arab sword - saber? I dont know if they used it back then... I will look into this.

maximusminimus's Avatar Biarchus

This looks much better, great job LAca!

Download V. 1.0 here
    Discussion and updates here

spirit_of_rob's Avatar The force is my ally

wow stunning
    Former Skinner/Modeller for EB Former Skinner/Modeller for Hegemonia

Patrician Opifex under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I and patron of the Opifex Tone

Quote Originally Posted by doctor turkey
    LAca, release them with arab sword...
    Like LAca, I don't think they used that style of sword at the time. Do you have some reference in mind? Numidia was not Arab.

I made a robe wearing version of this model... It has some texture distortions between the legs if u look carefully, but i really couldnt find a way to eliminate them...
    Also i looked for swords used by the berbers of that time... I found some pics but most of them are from the middle ages to 1800-1900's... So, nothing conclusive on that matter... Yet. If some1 has references, pls post them...

I made a camel mounted model too... Changed the color scheme hundreds of times till i got to this... I kinda like that red scarf thing. And also the darker coloured clothing seems to look more aggressive or something.

And an ingame shot

You could release an entire roster of differently garbed Numidians Laca.

Great! would you like to add the sword?

GODzilla's Avatar Civitate

It looks absolutely awsome.

But...I know you're going for realism when it comes to clothing (textiles) or shields (wood + leather). So what exactly is this leather your spearmen equipped their shields with? Looks a little bit like elephant skin, but it's too crumpled imho.

The pattern however is great, also the clothing (long robe). Just brilliant .
    GODzilla(TM)
    son of the family of Wilpuri under the patronage of makanyane

Another new unit. The Numidian Militia - recruitable from the militia barracks (the desert warriors are recruited from the city barracks only in desert areas - camel resource). Their stats are like the hoplite militias, but with light spear and no phalanx/sec weapon - their price and upkeep are the same too. I wanted to have a cheaper unit with lower upkeep that can be recruited everywhere and be able to fight a bit - they have no armour and low morale, so they arent that brilliant, but can be used in masses supported by javelinmen and of course the light cavalry.

The hide on the desert warrior shield is elephant skin (i read somewhere they used it) - i wanted to give it a solid look by applying some texture effects on it - if i make them smaller, it would be blurry.

:sign_wow:

Looking great!

I remade the auxilia - new armour and shield textures, long sleeved tunic. I have to work on the shield textures, make them more colourful. This shield is flat like the roman auxilias.The armour is made of leather - i think this is more accurate historically than the previous one.
    Some ingame screenies and the info pic:

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

These Auxilia are an improvement.

LAca you are really bringing these ancient people back to life, they are gradually evolving into an interesting faction to play.

I think the shield pattern is good and the robes but much as though it would please Doctor Turkey, introducing a sabre would be a mistake,-different age -different people.

Here is the previous auxilia model (the red shield one). If u have installed the previous one, just unzip it in your rome folder.