Thread: Korean Marines at Battle of Tra Binh Dong

Default Korean Marines at Battle of Tra Binh Dong

An account how around 300 ROK Marines defeated 2,400 North Vietnamese troops in a battle that started in a gun battle and ended in hand-to-hand combat.

http://www.mca-marines.org/Gazette/2005/05durand.html

No, that isn't a banana

Thanks for that article. It was very interesting - I learned quite a few things, among them that there were Koreans that fought in conflict. Do you have any more details/sources/recommended reading on the Korean participation in the war? You've piqued my interest in the subject...

There are a few sources, but not much about them. No references to history textbooks either.

Here's the combat evaluation of two of Korean army divisions in vietnam, the 9th White Horse Infantry division and the Army Capital Division. The 9th infantry is a main-line or regular army division, while the Capital (otherwise known as the "Tigers") is an elite Army infantry division.

http://www.army.mil/cmh/books/Vietna...ed/ch06.htm#b4

In this battle, this is the first engagement the ROK Tiger Division had with NVA commandos.

http://thebattleofkontum.com/stars/103.html

South Korea sent the second largest foreign military presence to Vietnam. Two army divisions, one Marine brigade, and several combat support units including naval support. South Korea also have sent several Special Forces units including Korean Navy Seals and Army Special Forces, I've also read a rumor somwhere that we might have also sent a unit of paratroopers.

Marcus Trajan's Avatar Pater Exercituum

Korea was quite heavily involved in Vietnam War. They sent 1 marine division and 2 infantry divisions to Vietnam and over 320,000 Korean troops fought in Vietnam from 1965 to 1973.

For more information, please see
    http://www.opendiary.com/entryview.a...78&entry=20074

If you want a see a timeline of Korean involvement in the Vietnam War, go to
    http://gunships.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=117&

Under the Patronage of Trax
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

wow thats crazy stuff.

kinda reminds me of the battle of general moon duk where he defeated an invading army of 30 million chinese with 300 thouzand.

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

Most men complacently accept knowledge as truth. They are sheep ruled by fear

Quote Originally Posted by Hyungoku
    wow thats crazy stuff.

kinda reminds me of the battle of general moon duk where he defeated an invading army of 30 million chinese with 300 thouzand.
    Your numbers are off.

It was only 1 million chinese troops and Korea had 30,000 troops.

Marcus Trajan's Avatar Pater Exercituum

Quote Originally Posted by Hyungoku
    wow thats crazy stuff.

Yeah, general Ulji Munduk defeated Sui troops (they say 1 million but it's more likely that around 200,000 actual combat troops) at Sal-Su located northern part of Korea in early 7th century.

Under the Patronage of Trax
    Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people
    - Eleanor Roosevelt

No, that isn't a banana

Absolutely fascinating - thanks guys! It's a shame I have completely missed out on this aspect to the war. I was aware of Canadian and Aussies serving during the conflict, but I had no idea about Koreans.

thnx for the correction lol i learned about the whole ulji moon duk thing back in preschool in korea so my memory might be a bit off.

Conan the Barbarian "All anyone will remember is that few stood against many!!!"

There's an old book by Honda about his accounts of the Korean soldiers. Here's a little review.

http://www.dpg.devry.edu/~akim/sck/vietnam2.htm

From 1967 to 1970, there was a Japanese reporter named
    Katsuichi Honda visited Vietnam and reported the war through the
    Asian eyes. He wrote a book about it, it's title is "Vietnam War
    - A Report Through Asian Eyes". He had anti-vietnam war views,
    so therefore, not certainly partial to ROK in Vietnam. He
    discovered that many of the stories concerning ROK atrocities
    were rumours based on Vietnamese's fear of the unknown ROK,
    jealousy, and communist propaganda. He himself checked out the
    stories by visiting the villages of where it was supposed to
    happened but found that they never happened. He also discovered
    that the farther the distance from the ROK tactical area of
    operation, the reputation got worse.

Honda basically praised the ROK troops as by far the best
    Allied troop in everyway including, the way they treated the
    civilians and their extraordinary military performances.

As for the captured documents showing the Viet Cong fear of the
    ROK, in 1966, a detachment of the U.S. Calvary Division in Bin
    Dhin province captured a Viet Cong who carried a document
    ordering all Viet Congs to avoid military contact with the
    Koreans unless the victory was 100% certain. This was
    corroborrated by a young British photographer Tim Page in the
    NY. Times article and also his book, Vietnam.

wow thats very interesting information

i didnt know the ROK forces in vietnam were so strong....

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

my dad was in Vietnam and he said that if you had Koreans with you, you were sure that the VC weren't gonna **** with you
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain