Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: Where's the BEST Place to Live in The World?

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Where's the BEST Place to Live in The World?

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    I've been there, its awesome, its strange that noone from the UK really goes there. I suppose its pretty far away compared with Florida. That's one problem with it, its extremely isolated, even living in Scotland I can get a plane to Paris, London or Amsterdam and be there in two hours, whereas even to get to LA it takes three hours or more iirc. Also the only big city, Honolulu, is not exactly paradise, it has all the vices and problems of any big city. My perfect country would be London's history and multiculturality, Vancouver's scenery and cleanliness, and Hawaii's weather and lifestyle.

It takes a lot more then three hours to get to LA. It takes about 10 hours to get to San Francisco from Manchester.

It took even longer for us as we missed our connecting flight at Philadelphia after a 8 hour flight from the UK (And even that was delayed by two hours which is what caused us to miss the connection) and so had to get a two hour flight to Chicago followed by a four hour flight to San Francisco.

It wasn't all bad though, at least I got to see the American countryside and the skyscrapers of Chicago which was pretty impressive.

I think it takes about 16 hours to get to Hawaii, and as someone else said its expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by ♔keneticpest♔ View Post
    New Zealand

Whats the weather like down there?
    Last edited by Azog 150; February 13, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Tia's Avatar Primicerius

New Zealand's climate is similar to Hawaii (provided that you go to the coastal areas) I will admit, New Zealand's history is rather dull.

Azog 150's Avatar Civitate

I didn't realise it was hot. I always asumed it had weather similar to the UK's.
    Under the Patronage of Jom!

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    It takes a lot more then three hours to get to LA. It takes about 10 hours to get to San Francisco from Manchester.
    I was referring to the distance from Hawaii, didn't make that clear sorry.

Indeed, New Zealand is pretty warm, which is obvious when you look at it on an atlas - its the same latitude as South Africa and Australia, just looks cold because its the last major landmass before the south pole on its lines of latitude, which in the Northern hemisphere would mean it was arctic.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; February 13, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Tia's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Azog 150 View Post
    I didn't realise it was hot. I always asumed it had weather similar to the UK's.
    Wellington during the summer is pretty hot. (though I went in 2006, so my memory is vague)
    I'm not a New Zealander, just someone with a passion for New Zealand.
    Last edited by Tia; February 13, 2011 at 05:24 PM.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

I was referring to the distance from Hawaii, didn't make that clear sorry.
    Depending on the winds/ direction, the distance between LA and Hawaii ranges in the 4 hr plus range. From Florida it's altogether about an 11 hr trip.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Copperknickers II View Post
    Australia can be ruled out because of the wildlife.
    What's with European's and American's beign so scared of the wildlife down here? If anything it does wonders for Australia because it forces society to respect nature otherwise it can bite you in the arse (quite literally).

This ad also shows why our wildlife and country are the best

Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda Twin View Post
    What's with European's and American's beign so scared of the wildlife down here? If anything it does wonders for Australia because it forces society to respect nature otherwise it can bite you in the arse (quite literally).
    We don't have any nature here though, I literally could go a month without seeing anything but humans and the odd crow here. There are no dangerous animals whatsoever here, unless you go way up into the heathlands or woodlands and lie down naked in the grass with a steak strapped to your genitals, in which case you might meat an inquisitive pine marten.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

I think I'd be pretty happy in Okinawa(all the seafood i can eat its real pretty), Tuscany(very nice surroundings), Liverpool(For some reason i had more fun there than london but scotland was by by the funniest except for the weather) and Singapore