Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ghent, bigger and better than Bruges (picture heavy travel report)

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Default Ghent, bigger and better than Bruges (picture heavy travel report)

Summary
    If you want to take your girlfriend to a romantic weekend in Bruges, take her to Ghent instead. It is not far between them so you can do both in a long weekend but Ghent should be prioritized over Bruges. The buildings in Bruges are slightly older (in total war terms it would be high period and late period) but Ghent have the advantage of being a city with a good nightlife, lower prices and the best hostel I have ever visited (out of ~15 European and ~25 Swedish hostels I have been to). Personally I also find the more gothic look of Ghent to be more appealing.
    Major attractions in Ghent are the three towers, Gravenstein castle and many opportunities to sit down and have a good beer while surrounded by beautiful buildings and lovely channels. I was there in late September and found the weather pleasant (please note I am Swedish so my perspective may be a bit skewed). It is not a very spectacular city but it’s central location in Western Europe makes it a good target for a weekend trip.

Background
    I went to Ghent on a conference and then stayed there for a few days to have a nice weekend with my fiancée. We visited both Bruges and Ghent and the travel report from Bruges can be read here.
    I have also attached a map showing the places I found notable to supplement the images.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Korenmarkt, an old market area that is one of the most appreciated places to sit outside and drink beer. It is very touristy but a very nice location so it is worth sitting down there despite the mildly inflated prices and mediocre cafés/pubs. The conference organizers organized an event at a pub named Denis Foley's which is an Irish themed cellar pub (with Irish/British beer). This felt a bit stupid but it turned out quite nice since I got the opportunity to try Martin’s pale ale which is one of my favorite beers.

The southern end of the Korenmarkt and view toward the central parts of the old city.

I don’t remember the name of the city square but it is marked out on the map as my favourite spot for crisps and a very nice pub (Dulle Griet). Belgian pubs do not serve food so it is highly recommended to buy a large serving of crisps with sauce before heading to the pub.

Dulle Griet is a very nice pub with young customers and 1 L beer glasses that you have to deposit a shoe to use. I had a great time there with four Slovakians, an Englishman and a Malaysian bioinformatician.

View from Gravenstein castle towards the three towers of Ghent. From left to right Sint-Baafskathedraal, the Belfry and Sint Niklaaskerk. You can see the Korenmarkt to the left of the image just right of the narrow clocktower. Gravenstein castle, the Belfry and Sint Baafskathedraal are the three major historical buildings to visit in Ghent.

Gravenstein castle from up close. It is not very spectacular compared to other European castles but it is worth visit when you are in Ghent.

The castle viewed from the top of the Belfry

One of the dragons kept in storage in the Belfry. The first metal dragon was put at the top of the tower in the 1380s when the tower was completed. The dragon has been replaced several times but the remains of them are still kept on exhibition in the Belfry. I think the dragon on this picture is from the 19th century and was replaced in the 1980s. There is also a quite good beer named Gulden Draak that show the dragon on its label.

Sint Niklaaskerk viewed from the Belfry. They were conducting some sort of archeological investigation when I was there and it showed how much higher the current streets are compared to when the city was originally established (the cellar was originally the ground floor). Sint Niklaaskerk is currently undergoing renovation and on the north eastern side you can see how the outside of it originally looked.

Sint Baafskathedraal, it is not very beautiful on the outside but the inside is among the most beautiful I have ever seen. The marble and wooden artwork inside is exquisite.

The City hall, nice looking but nothing for tourists on the inside I think. Evenings in Ghent are however highly enjoyable due to an efficient usage of spotlights to illuminate the historical buildings.

South of the historical city center you have the more modern city centre with a good night life.

The red light district got shop windows just like the more famous one in Amsterdam. It is strongly advised to avoid it on monday afternoons. The whole place stinks of ammonia and the women are ugly, I do not know if the women are better looking at more active hours.

Andromeda Ecohostel, an excellent hostel which is perfect to meet nice people or to spend a romantic weekend. I consider it to be one of the best reasons to visit Ghent since the combination of a nice historical city center and a highly romantic hostel makes it suitable for romantic weekends on a limited budget.

To sit down on the veranda with a good Belgian beer and pet the cat is a perfect break between an afternoon of sightseeing and an evening of pubs or night clubs.

The hostel is as you saw on the image a converted barge which has been converted to a hostel with dorm rooms and double rooms. I spoke a bit with the owners about their building philosophy and they have taken a lot of notice not only to eco-friendliness but also to other common issues with hostels. Therefore they have taken extra care to things such as sound proofing between the common room and the dorm rooms.
    Last edited by Adar; January 16, 2011 at 09:45 AM.

Taxandrius's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Ghent, bigger and better than Bruges (picture heavy travel report)

very nice review!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    very nice review!
    You are lucky to live in a very cool city.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Nice commentary.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Now I know where I saw that red light-district picture
    it's somewhere down my street

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Hah, now I know where Tax lives
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

DAMN you!

Wait, are you that guy outside my window, watching me while I'm behind my pc?

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Taxandrius View Post
    DAMN you!

Wait, are you that guy outside my window, watching me while I'm behind my pc?
    That would be me actually, it was a mistake to give me your phone number and then drop me like a...

Which btw is how I ended up in a pub with one shoe and four Slovakians

Jom's Avatar A Place of Greater Safety
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Looks like they still haven't finished the roadworks in the Korenmarkt.

The name of the square you can't remember is the Vrijdagmarkt, Adar, and Gulden Draak beer is more than just "quite good"

My girlfriend preferred Bruges to Ghent but everyone has different tastes and it was nice to see the city again as it's been more than a year since I lived there. A good summing up of its highlights.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Thanks Adar, I plan to revisit this when I'm in the lovely city in a few months

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Thanks Adar, I plan to revisit this when I'm in the lovely city in a few months
    If you feel like eating a hearty, albeit vegan meal, you can visit my sister's restaurant if you like. Ghent is the vegan capital of Belgium if not Europe so she felt it would be worthwhile setting one up there.

"For what it’s worth: it’s never too late to be whoever you want to be. I hope you live a life you’re proud of, and if you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again."

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Which one's that?
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Yeah Jom, tell us.

Incesticide's Avatar Miles

Great thread!

To add to the discussion, Gent is probably one of the quirkiest places I've visited: if you head round to the Patershol quarter there's some really good places such as 't Velootje and Roccoco. 't Velootje is basically a small pub that's inside a glorified garage/bicycle workshop filled with old bicycles (and other random old and dusty pieces of junk) run by an eccentric old man. Nearer the centre there's another pub called Het Waterhuis an de Bierkant, which is basically Flemish for "The Water-house on the Beer-side".

Also, if drunken revelry/live music/street performers is your sort of thing, Gentse Feesten is held every July.

@ Jom - Gulden Draak is amazing. If you haven't tried it - try Piraat, it's made by the same brewery and, better yet, it's even more alcoholic.

Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    Summary
    It is not a very spectacular city but it’s central location in Western Europe makes it a good target for a weekend trip.
    I would disagree about it not being spectacular - perhaps not in the postcard touristy manner that Bruges is, but it's definitely one of the most interesting places I've been to. I think most of its charm comes from the fact that it isn't packed with tourists, and unlike Bruges it isn't artificial.

I agree with you about Dulle Griet.
    Please note that I will be off to British Columbia for research purposes between the 14th July and 12th September - as such, I will not be able to log on.

Incesticide's Music Review Thread

Is it as expensive as say, Paris? Even with a budget? I love gothic architecture, so i might stop by here.
    "Nothing like a nice relaxing stroll on the beach, blasting bad guys with my boomstick."
    - Gunnery Chief Ashley Madeline Williams.

Ghent is not nearly as expensive as Paris, it's very affordable, you should try it

Whilst not exactly cheap, Gent is nowhere near as expensive as Paris. As the universal measure is the price of a beer, in Gent it will be around 2.50€ for a 33cl Jupiler. A 25cl Kronenbourg in Paris would cost around 3.50€ if not 4€.

*slight correction: most pubs, bars and clubs in both the Overpoort and historical centre serve Maes (pils) for about 1.70€ to 2€
    Half a litre mostly goes for 3€

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Gungalley View Post
    Is it as expensive as say, Paris? Even with a budget? I love gothic architecture, so i might stop by here.
    It is cheaper than Paris but more expensive than Mannheim/Heidelberg. The only problem is that it is hard to find good food at a decent prize, my solution was to eat a lot of French fries. The Belgian version is excellent and they also got a huge selection of sauce, Belgian pubs doesn't serve food but are otherwise superior to restaurants so it was also a good way to quickly get to the beer. A medium serving + sauce is 3€ and a large portion is more than enough for two people.

Historical monuments and museums normally cost 6-9 € for an adult or 1-3 € for a student so bring your student ID if you got one .

Another good idea is to go to Prague if you want cheap gothic arcitechture (advise thread for Captain Jin here and a later thread with him as one of the experts here).
    Last edited by Adar; April 10, 2011 at 08:56 PM.

Not to deviate too much from this thread, but I've been to prague. Its a beautiful city, although very crowded at peak season and a little out of the way if you are looking to travel west europe IMO.
    "Nothing like a nice relaxing stroll on the beach, blasting bad guys with my boomstick."
    - Gunnery Chief Ashley Madeline Williams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast