Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dealing with stress and anxiety

Default Dealing with stress and anxiety

For about a year now I have had problems with anxiety and to a lesser extent stress. It comes out in several ways. I can have panic attacks occaisionally but I've learnt to control these so they're not a problem. Breathing can often become irregular, even to the point where automatic breathing stops altogether. I can get massive, massive headaches.

Worst thing is food. I have utterly no appetite and if I force myself to eat I feel incredibly sick. I don't eat anything before I go out now because it is almost garaunteed to ruin that evening.

Pretty much at the end of my own ability to deal with it all now, and I don't know what to do.

boofhead's Avatar Dux Limitis

Default Re: Dealing with stress and anxiety

I suffer from the odd anxiety attack, and have done for years - about 10 years ago I had quite severe ones and on a few occasions had my flatmate take me to the hospital as I feared I might die. They are terrible quite frankly. More than once due to the lack of oxygen, not being able to breath properly, my hands literally cramped up like claws as what oxygen I had was being used by my main body systems. And the more you stress out about the anxiety and inability to breathe, the worse they can get - a vicious cycle. I ****ing hate panic attacks - but thankfully they happen rarely now - normally if I have been preparing for something I dread for a long time (like having to make a public speech).

There are many websites about these anxiety attacks Ferrets, but for me, they just seemed to pass and happen less and less often with time. I honestly wish I knew some way apart from the breathing exercises (in through the nose deep and slow, out the the mouth all the way) - perhaps overall relaxation, like meditation etc?

In my case drug use in my late teens, early 20s had some bearing on my mentality - a bit of paranoia also from negative life experiences - I think because these things don't bother me so much with the passage of time things have improved for me.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help - but you are not alone in suffering these bastard episodes.

MasterInquisitor's Avatar Ordinarius

If I ever feel out of place or panicky, I just stop. Stop walking, talking or whatever, and I just close my eyes and breathe deep for a little while till everything settles down.

I also suffer from migraines a lot. Baths are a great way to de-stress, and early nights. Also, try breathing in anything with menthol or eucalyptus in it. It'll clear your head.

If you find it hard eating, drink something instead. Anything that isn't water your body treats as food and will extract nutrients etc from it. Just avoid energy drinks. Green tea is what I swear by if I am feeling ill or down. Plus it burns calories for you .
    Quote Originally Posted by Noble Savage View Post
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

Go seek out some professional help - seriously. There's no need for this condition but an internet forum wont solve your problems.

I could give you advice ranging from autogeneous training to drugs, but imho professional help in real life will be most efficient.
    Last edited by Niccolo Machiavelli; August 12, 2007 at 02:31 PM.

under the patronage of Belisarius

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrets54 View Post
    For about a year now I have had problems with anxiety and to a lesser extent stress. It comes out in several ways. I can have panic attacks occaisionally but I've learnt to control these so they're not a problem. Breathing can often become irregular, even to the point where automatic breathing stops altogether. I can get massive, massive headaches.

Worst thing is food. I have utterly no appetite and if I force myself to eat I feel incredibly sick. I don't eat anything before I go out now because it is almost garaunteed to ruin that evening.

Pretty much at the end of my own ability to deal with it all now, and I don't know what to do.
    Damn dude, go to a doctor, that sounds like some serious medical condition there. Any internet diagnoser worth his salt will tell you to go to a doctor.

I knew this girl in my math class once back in H.S., she'd have these panic attacks. I remember it freaking me out because that was the first time ive ever seen anyone suffer from a panic attack. I felt bad for her cause everyone would stare, and she'd just wave them off like "its ok, its ok, im fine, go back to your studies"

i have suffered terribly from insomnia for at least the last year though much longer in a less severe way and i too am pretty much at the end of my tether.
    where i work we have a pretty extensive library of books on the subject ranging from day to day stress to people wanting to top themselves (not necessarily in the same book) anyway i have a horrifically long shift tonight and i'm gonna have plenty of reading time. i'll get back to you via PM if anything really helpful comes up
    Sired by Niccolo Machiavelli
    Adopted by Ferrets54
    Father of secret basement children Boeing and Shyam Popat

I went to a counsellor a couple of times at University but it didn't help much beyond learning how to control the panic attacks. I went to the doctors the other month and he gave me some low dose beta blockers but they do **** all. Going back on Thursday so I suppose he'll give me some stronger stuff.

But it's hardly a permament solution. Hopefully it will just see me through until I'm living on my own again at Uni which will help me incredibly.

ask your doctor about self medicating, maybe he'll prescribe you some medicinal marijuana and you'll be IN like SIN boyyyyy! yeah!

On a side note, what you're experiencing looks like hyperventilation to me - it's not that serious but seek out someone who'll profesionaly deal with the underlying reasons...

I would not mind medicinal marijuana meself!

If you're into that natural help stuff try St Johns Wort and Ginseng. They help you to relax.
    A chomping evil Kentish Giraffe who constantly sings "Four legs good ,two legs bad"

ask your doctor about self medicating, maybe he'll prescribe you some medicinal marijuana and you'll be IN like SIN boyyyyy! yeah!
    not in the UK he wont
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by Gary88 View Post
    not in the UK he wont
    Dont tell me the UK marijuana laws are even stricter than they are here? I was sure no country had stricter marijuana laws than us.

God, cannabis is like the last thing you should be taking if you want to get rid of anxiety.

you'll end up schizo
    Dont tell me the UK marijuana laws are even stricter than they are here? I was sure no country had stricter marijuana laws than us.
    probably not we just dont prescribe it
    Adopted by Ferrets54

God, cannabis is like the last thing you should be taking if you want to get rid of anxiety.
    well, sure, if you live in an environment that constantly causes you paranoia.

Oh, whats that noise! Oh, is that my dad? what if he comes in and catches me! Oh! Oh! I'm so scared, im jumping at every noise just like a stereotypical paranoid pothead.

Yeah, if you cant relax while youre smoking...anything...then why smoke? Its meant to be a relaxing experience, tobacco included.

You said you have no appetite and that youre stressed, marijuana helps in both those fields, doesnt it? Besides, how many more prescription pills have to be discontinued because it turns out they cause death?

Just a little while ago they found out Vioxx increases heart attack percentages by 40%. Say what you will but marijauna never harmed a soul.

Exactly - it would actually likely worsen the condition.
    Don't listen to self-medication tips on an internet forum and see a doctor - also (if he considers it indicated) have a gastroscopy as you're likely to suffer from gastritis (or swallow a flashlight and your webcam and post the pictures here )...

I'm not giving him self medication tips, I'm saying ask your doctor if marijuana is right for you

maybe hell give you some Cannibinol, thats a pill that lowers stress and increases appetite but with none of the fun effects of actual marijuana

Say what you will but marijauna never harmed a soul.
    other than the fact its the equivelent of 5 cigarettes in carcinogen terms and linked to inumerable mental health issues
    Adopted by Ferrets54

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Ferrets my brother, I'm sorry to hear this. It's a bit of a surprise, because I read so much confidence and knowledge in your posts.
    I don't want to pry, but have you identified the source? This is fundamental. If you don't squash the source then this **** doesn't end.
    I had horrible anxiety attacks, similar to what both you and Boof describe. You know what? They ended when I buggered off and joined the army at 17. The source was my bloody ol' man. For the first time I was free of that dastard. Kind of funny that digging shell scrapes in frozen earth, barking NCO's, and Gulf War One didn't hold a candle to the stress my crochety ol' man gave me..
    What, is it school? Home? You don't have to tell us knuckleheads on TWC, but if you identify the source and cut it out of your life, well, it did it for me. Now if I could only get Mrs. Arrrgh! from hitting me with the frying pan...

They will prescribe marijuana in the UK if you are in *extreme* pain.

My grandfather had 3 types of cancer (lung, liver and bone) and he was on morphine. They were going to put him in medicinal marijuana, but he passed away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast