Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me, or does it seem like the 80's are coming back?

Necromancer's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Is it just me, or does it seem like the 80's are coming back?

So whaddya think???

I've just seen stuff happening over the past few years that's led me to this conclusion.

Look at the fashions and trends emerging...

Nike and Reebok vintage/vintage style Basketball Hi-Tops are returning (especially among my crowd, the metalheads)

Aren't these shoes the coolest?!!!

Baggy jeans are out (Never liked them anyway)
    and tight/tighter skinny jeans are in

Small and tight-fitting shirts are in

Studs and leather is getting evermore popular

All the guys are growing out their hair and side-burns again (not that that trend ever died out, it just seems a lot more common these days)

Girls' hair seems to be getting bigger and bigger again

Look at the music kids have recently begun picking up again...

Vintage heavy metal such as The NWOBHM and Thrash (and hair/glam to some extent) seem to be on the rise (dramatically!)

I've heard Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Saxon, Megadeth, Anthrax and other 80's heavy metal groups being played in cars, on TV (And even on the radio!), while out walking, hanging out with friends and while driving around.

I don't know, it's just something I've been observing for about 2-3 years now... So whaddya guys think?
    Last edited by Necromancer; August 13, 2007 at 01:06 AM.

MattErickson's Avatar Centenarius

Default Re: Is it just me, or does it seem like the 80's are coming back?

I love 80's metal! Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax...

I agree, I'm seeing more and more leather, tighter pants and shirts. The music is getting more and more popular. Just a lot of general things from the 80's (all of which I spent one year alive )

I have really long hair and massive sideburns, I need a haircut!

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

As a boy who was born when the 90s began, I am sad to say that I missed it all. Still, people have had long, wild hair for decades past.

Wild Bill Kelso's Avatar Protist Slayer

Its all good as long as the mullet doesn't become the hairstyle of choice.
    Still here since December 2002
    At sometime I patronized all these old bums:Necrobrit, Sulla, Scrappy Jenks, eldaran, Oldgamer, Ecthelion,Kagemusha, and adopted these bums: Battle Knight, Obi Wan Asterixand Muizer

Eric's Avatar Praepositus

Personally, I think baggy pants were better than those skintight pants I see men wearing these days. Guys, if you have to use a gallon of oil and 10lbs of butter to get into your pants, they are TOO TIGHT!
    Better to stand under the Crown than to kneel under a Flag

Life is fleeting, but glory lives forever! Conquer new lands, rule over the seas, build an empire! World Alliances

Niles Crane's Avatar Dux Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Personally, I think baggy pants were better than those skintight pants I see men wearing these days. Guys, if you have to use a gallon of oil and 10lbs of butter to get into your pants, they are TOO TIGHT!
    Yeah, but nobody wants to see your boxers.

Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I agree. Men wearing pants thighter than those girls wear is quite... ugly.
    Member of S.I.N.

Odovacar's Avatar I am with Europe!

Oh no...apart from some things 80's was crap..I was born in 80 so I saw not much from it...but its enough to see a film from the 80's...
    Sky-high female hair attacks, synth disco, untasteful colours, rockers wearing gayish leather and leopard print thights....baroque hair on them..pink everywhere and neon green...God have mercy....

Pls give us back rather the 70's...
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB HORSEARCHER
    quis enim dubitat quin multis iam saeculis, ex quo vires illius ad Romanorum nomen accesserint, Italia quidem sit gentium domina gloriae vetustate sed Pannonia virtute

Sorry Armenia, for the rascals who lead us.

hunter260859's Avatar Senator

Hi necromancer havent seen you on for ages

woot 80s metal on the rise and as a person born in the 91 i missed it all i should of been born in the 70s lol

That's life!!! If you don't do at least one thing that has to do with the 80's u are not living at all!!!
    New pics on 24/4/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Odovacar View Post
    Oh no...apart from some things 80's was crap..I was born in 80 so I saw not much from it...but its enough to see a film from the 80's...
    Sky-high female hair attacks, synth disco, untasteful colours, rockers wearing gayish leather and leopard print thights....baroque hair on them..pink everywhere and neon green...God have mercy....

Pls give us back rather the 70's...
    The 80's were a great time in a lot of respects. Some of the haircuts were truly awful but how can you dis The Flock of Seagulls. Their hair styles were Legendary. Bodywarmers , pop socks, basketball shoes , Grolsch bottle tops on your trainers ,Adam Ant type make up , Boiler Suits , tight black suits , black leather jackets with ZZ top patches ,Baseball Jackets ,rolled up suit sleeves ,pink shirts and in the late 80's you had the smiley badges over everything.

Musically you had New Romantics ,Americal Soft Rock ,The British Metal invasion ,post Jam Mods , Roger Water's Radio Kaos , Bomb the Bass and the Chicago house scene , Public Enemy , The Police ,U2 , Duran Duran ,Spandau Ballet, Gary Numans most prolific time, OMD , Jackson's Thriller,The Human League ,Hazel O'Connors Eighth Day ,Herbie Hancock's Future Shock,Madness and the Two Tone Label ,Dire Straits Brothers in Arms ,David Bowies Ashes to Ashes , Pet Shop Boys and there are just too many to mention. The whole 80's music was a time of transition and I think very diverse. While the 70's appealed a lot more to true Rock Fans no one can argue about the impact of the Electronic 80's.

My Favourite films from the 80's were the John Hughes and new brat pack collection. For TV we had great comedies such as The Young One's and Blackadder.

I loved the 80's I'm just upset that I missed to beggining of this great decade
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Just as long as the 90's don't come back, oh, wait, didn't the spice girls just reform? *Runs*

Quote Originally Posted by Serious samurai View Post
    Just as long as the 90's don't come back, oh, wait, didn't the spice girls just reform? *Runs*
    I'm not really a 90's fan, Although I'm glad Oasis turned up (I'm not really a fan of them either) as they really pushed guitar based bands back into the mainstream .
    Under the protection of jimkatalanos
    with further protection from
    Calvin R.I.P mate, Cúchulainn , Erebus26 , Paggers Jean-Jacques Rousseau
    and Future Filmmaker

Well, I'm an 80's kid in the sense that I was an 89er, caught the last 1/4 of the year (born in September) and I also like the music and styles from the era. Everyone was much more liberated in terms of their style and people weren't afraid to try new things to look good.

I remember the early 90's pretty well, and what I can remember I like, but God, the mid and late 90's SUCKED! Nu-Metal, death rap, rap metal the most tasteless garbage I've ever heard. Then it was cool to wear super baggy pants so low that you had to reach down by your ankle to get your wallet out. That's so gay.

I guess American Eagle, Abercrombie And Fitch, Hollister and all the rest of those guys (Metro Clothing Lines, ugh!) are taking influences from the 80's, look at some of the girls who wear those types of clothes. And look at this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80%27s_fashion and tell me you don't see imitations, influences and interpretations today of the styles from back then.

Make a list of some influences you see

For me, Acid Washed jeans, Hi Tops and studs

I think all decades have their pros and cons and I consider what is "mainstream" during the decades rather coherent in being awful than a single decade being inherently awful (or great).
    Personally I like the eighties due to having great memories about them (spent the magic years from 5-15 in them).

On the eighties coming back: I don't know how often I've heard that - some element of the eighties pops up from time to time, leading people to draw that conclusion.

under the patronage of Belisarius

I don't personally remember the 80s as I was born in '85, but what the hell, I read plenty and talk to a lot of people who remember the time. The '80s were positive in that the pathetic moping of the 70s disappeared and was replaced by a muscular, unapologetic self-confidence. On the downside, most forms of cultural degeneration continued, and very serious national problems were not discussed or addressed.

I liked the '90s in that Americans seemed to be asking very serious cultural questions about who we are and where we were going in light of the Cold War ending. Movies like Fight Club and Swordfish come to mind as driving a culture of national self-consciousness, and not in the angsty 70s kind of way, but actual serious questions.

9-11 ended all that, and we reverted to jingoistic militarism, which despite dissatisfaction with Iraq now, shows no signs of dissipating. I'm not seeing Americans ask hard questions about who we are anymore, and that's unfortunate. We need that kind of national dialog now more than ever. America basically lost its way in the 60s (and I'm not just talking about hippies or Vietnam here), and we haven't found a level spot ever since then. I suppose this is better than Europe, which basically blew its brains out in World War I and has been on a postmodern autopilot ever since.
    Last edited by Daovonnaex; August 13, 2007 at 04:00 PM.

Baseball is the highest cultural achievement of human civilization.

Necromancer,

You're certainly right in many aspects, but on a whole I think that kind of observation can be made about every 'era' in every successive one.

The 80s have been coming back in one form or another for the last 20 years. The 80s sneakers craze made vintage running shoes (orgininally $60) go for $100+ -- this was back in '95 or so.

The swing music craze of the 90s brought back big bands of the 40s and 50s, the 'cocktail lounge' revival brought back the 60s and 70s. The current cabaret and burlesque resurgence hearkens back even further.

Maybe there's some sense of connecting with older, seemingly simpler times (purely a modern conceit) - like the hair, the music, the clothing -- and not so much the social strife and politics?

Re-connection with the past - particularly for a past we weren't a part of to begin with - will always be a fascination, but we should remember that the good old days never really were...

This happened in the 80s when 60s **** was popular, its just something that goes in cycles. Whenever the previous generation has their mid life crisis then it becomes the fad for a while.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

Oh, totally. BeetleCat and Kanaric, I agree with you both, I'm not saying we're all gonna be wearing spandex, living in condos and listening to Poison for the rest of our lives, it's just a wave that's passing through. It'll be over with within the next few years. Although the 80's were cool and all, I would hope that we keep a lot of our modern trends as well. I'm just noticing a lot more influences lately, that's all.

i hate the 80s. I hate now
    Hammer & Sickle - Karacharovo

And I drank it strait down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast